The Perfect Intermittent Fasting Ratio for the Most Weight Loss (Fat Burning)

(Bunny) #1

Published on Nov 30, 2017 Take Dr. Berg’s Free Keto Mini-Course: https://www.drberg.com/how-to-do-ketosis

Dr. Berg talks about the perfect intermittent fasting for the most fat burning or the most weight loss. Research as found the optimum time of fasting is between 18-24 hours. So if your time of eating (window of eating) is 6 hours, and lets say you eat at 12 noon and then again at 6, this gives 6 hours of eating and 18 hours of fasting. Then if you slowly graduate to a shorter and shorter window, for example, 4 hours, this would be even better; so this could be eating at 1 and then again at 5 pm. Now, if your metabolism is very slow and you have a history of very bad eating and you have some serious insulin resistance, then you need to do 1 meal a day. This would give you around 23+ hours of fasting for some serious fat burning. Then if you added exercise (high intensity interval training), it would take you to a whole new level, esp. if you exercised early in the morning during the fasting window. Get more sleep, add apple cider vinegar and help yourself even more. The more you fast, the more you will get into autophagy, which is a self-cleaning, recycling process of your cells, which promote anti-aging and a healthier immune system.

I’m beyond confused
On the go breakfast
Any advice for a keto newbie?
Feeling foggy during fasting
Starting Keto and developing back acne
Gained weight on Keto
Please Help Me Figure Out Why I Am Not Losing!?!?
What is the best exercise to burn fat the quickest
Intermittent Fasting...how often?
A lil' reassurance please :D
Unable to go More Than 24 Hours?
Exhausted and foggy brained on Keto after almost 2 months
6 weeks no weight loss
Whoa! Dr. Phinney's take on protein...correct or incorrect?
Whoa! Dr. Phinney's take on protein...correct or incorrect?
Almost 1 month of keto, no changes
Question about intermittent fasting
Advice please - not enjoying food
Fasting not going well
(Karen) #2

I love what he has to say and he supports women’s loss so well. I love that you put this out in the forum. Some have not discovered Dr. Berg yet.

Autophagy… Somewhere I read that 4 days is peak, and before 4 you don’t get as much out of it, but while you still have results for longer fasts there are diminishing returns. I think it was a graphic Phinney had.
K

(Jill Lothian) #3

What a great video!! thanks for putting this up.

(Troy) #4

Yup
Exercise in the AM, then OMAD later
Again, exercising during fasting AM stage = JOY🔥and a High🎉

A great formula

I would encourage people to vary the time of their OMAD, and avoid fasting every day on a pattern - otherwise they may end up with metabolic slowdown (as in The Biggest Losers).

(Rob) #6

I agree with you to some extent on switching-it-up to keep your body guessing, however

may be more true only for people who are reliant upon burning Carbohydrate as their primary source of energy (as in The Biggest Losers). For Fat Adapted people with a steadily available source of energy (body Fat) this is not the case…

from Jason Fung’s IDM Program Fasting Myths

“The other persistent myth of ‘starvation mode’ is that basal metabolism decreases severely and our bodies ‘shut down’. This too is highly disadvantageous to survival of the human species. If, after a single day of fasting, metabolism decreased, then we would have less energy to hunt or gather food. With less energy, we are less likely to get food. So, another day passes, and we are even weaker, making us even less likely to get food. This is a vicious cycle that the human species would not have survived. It’s stupid. Why would we assume the human body is so stupid? There are, in fact, no species of animals, humans included that are evolved to require three meals a day, everyday. We have already seen in a previous post that resting energy expenditure (REE) goes UP, not down during fasting. Metabolism revs up; it does not shut down.”

(Zoe ) #7

Thanks. This is great for thinking about the benefits of fasting.

I think we all exist on a spectrum of how our bodies react.

I am certainly well fat adapted - have been for years - yet my body adjusts very rapidly to patterns and routines. OMAD was a very disappointing experience for me. Especially when I read how effective it can be for others. All depends on our insulin resistance, diet history, other medical conditions and hormones.

Of course Berg is not speaking to the metabolic outliers in this video. But there are enough of us around that I like to offer a bit of hope that if OMAD doesn’t offer the promised rapid weight loss (like it didn’t for me), that there are other options to try.

(Rob) #9

That’s fair comment, I can’t dispute your experience and we’re all an N=1. Certainly if something isn’t working for you, then I absolutely agree that you should change it!

(Gretchen Miller) #10

OMAD is not working for me either. How have you changed it up or what do you find that does work?

(TJ Borden) #11

I had stalled out for a couple months with OMAD, so I did a couple extended fasts. I did 90 hours on this months Zornfast, then a couple days later (those two days being OMAD, I followed it up with a 72 hour fast. The plateau broke and I’m losing again. Mixing it up is key. Megan Ramos talked about it in one of the podcasts.

(Bunny) #12

I agree, variety or sequencing things in durations creates balances and equilibriums from the static to dynamic, to prevent entropy!

:grinning: i just went back to eating again. Usually coffeesubstitute and cream in the morning, then one or two meals a day, keto. Also had a phase of low carb but not keto, while staying gluten free.

Didn’t put on a pound, but neither did I lose. It is like being stuck in a box because my body seems to cling to a v narrow weight range. Calories seem irrelevant. Insulin resistance stays quite high (as indicated by my minimum blood glucose readings).

I am very resistant to introducing a lot of exercise, or HIIT, because joint problems make those seem unsustainable.

Then at xmas I had a bad gut rot (still don’t know if it was food poisoning, ghiardia or norovirus, but it recurred 3 times and led to fasting and zero carb for weeks, eating very little). Over about a month i lost 5 pounds after virtually fasting for around 3 weeks.

I am now FIGHTING to not regain, and trying to stay zero carb. No further loss.

Having said all that, i will always prioritise blood glucose control over weight loss, and my body throws out hypos/hunger surges at night which make me reluctant to fast over about 36 hours. During the gut rot i was refreshingly without appetite! :slight_smile: it made it seem as easy as it is for other people! Lol

(Bruce Oliver) #14

Yes she did and I also heard her say to NOT do OMAD until you are at your goal weight, because it will slow down your metabolism. That is why you stalled. Mixing it us is the key for sure.

(Trish) #15

Ha ha. You totally captured your inner Fung there, Rob. I even heard his inflection on “that’s stupid” as I was reading your post. LMAO. :smile:

(TJ Borden) #16

I’d have to listen to that episode again. She definitely talked about mixing it up, but I don’t remember any advice on NOT eating OMAD until you’re at your goal weight.

It’s just a homeostasis issue. Now that I broke the plateau, I’m cycling from EF to OMAD, then usually 16:8 on the weekends, and I’m still dripping durning my OMAD days. The drop in metabolism comes from any type of fasting when done all the time.

(Bruce Oliver) #17

Not sure it was that particular episode. I have listened to so many lol. It was one of the newer episodes she has done with the Dudes and not one of those older ones done with Jimmy Moore. She was very emphatic about not doing it until you are at your goal weight and then doing it to lock that in.

I definitely remember this as well - Megan saying that she didn’t recommend OMAD long-term until you’re at your goal weight - but I think it might have been a Fasting Talk episode.

ETA: I think many folks have done OMAD and lost weight, but it’s helpful to know that if it stops working, just play around with timing of fasting/feasting until things start to move again.

(Tubeman) #19

Thanks for this reply, I had the same question as @Brunneria

I’ve been doing OMAD for a week or so, and I love it, but I worry that I’m not able to eat enough during my one meal, and I don’t want to slow my meatabolism down. Don’t really want to lose a lot of weight either, I’m doing it more to boost ketones for the awesome brain effects.

(Nicole Sawchuk) #20

OMAD has been a disaster for me for maintenance. Sad because I love the convenience and I am really not hungry all day. Part of the problem might be because I was eating too much in that small window. I also need to switch it up.

Maybe someday I will be able to continuously do OMAD, but not at this time.