You asked for Full Metal Keto Recipes

(Full Metal KETO AF) #1

So @dlc96_darren requested a recipe collection topic from me, I hope others are interested besides a lazy keto dude who will never make them because I’m inspiring but not enough to change a truly lazy ketonian. :laughing:

Under continuous construction! :cowboy_hat_face:

Did you throw out your toaster?
Your favorite keto pastry
Well tested delicious keto recipe book
What did you Keto today? Part Deux!
(Full Metal KETO AF) #2

(Full Metal KETO AF) #3

Avocado Sauce

Not quite guacamole but a delicious pourable avocado sauce that will keep up to a month refrigerated (if you can keep it around that long!). Small batch recipe;

2 large avocados

4 2” tomatillos

1/2 small white or yellow onion

1 clove garlic

1-2 Jalapeños (seeded or not)

Salt to taste and lime juice if it’s not tart enough for you.

Put the tomatillos, jalapeños, onion and garlic in a small sauce pan with about half cup of water. Cover and simmer until the tomatillos are soft but not yet mush, if you cook them too much the sour aspect will be gone. The cooked tomatillos will sweeten up so you want some partially cooked to retain the sour flavor too. Let it cool and put in a blender or food processor holding back on the liquid, with the avocados. It should have a viscosity similar to thick gravy, not too runny but pourable. Add some of the water until you get the right thickness. The tomatillos have acid which keeps the sauce bright green for weeks. This is a very popular avocado taco sauce in central California where I live. I think it’s from central Mexico as many here are from the Guanajuato, Mexico area near Mexico City. Great on eggs and tacos. This is a great way to use avocados when you get a good deal on them especially, and need to do something with them before they spoil :man_cook:t4:. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Full Metal KETO AF) #4

TomYum

Thai Hot and Sour Prawn Soup

Any Tom Yum recipe will be keto. There’s proper ingredients that are hard to get in many parts of the world.

Shrimp with shells and preferably with heads on. I don’t have access to head on shrimp but the shells are essential for the soup stock.

Lemongrass and kafir lime leaves are traditional, substitute for lemongrass is strips of lemon zest without any white pith. Substitute for kafir lime leaves is lemon or lime leaves (any of these citrus leaves should be freshly picked. I have a Thai kafir lime tree and can get lemongrass fresh from the local health food store. Lemongrass should be left in large pieces and bruised by smashing with a cleaver or meat hammer. Don’t use dried lemongrass, use zest if you can’t get fresh.

Fish sauce is essential, I use Tipparo’s. Three Crabs is also good but has some carbs for some reason so I went back to Tipparo’s.

Cilantro with roots is optimal, use a lot of the stems if you can’t get it with roots.

Fresh Thai red chilies are optimal, I usually substitute Serrano green chilies because they’re available in California easily.

Basically you peel the shrimp, save the shells & legs and heads if you are lucky enough to get them head on. Devein the shrimp if it’s not been mechanically done. Fry the shells with a little coconut oil in a wok until they are bright pink and fragrant. Add water and lemongrass/zest, citrus leaves and cilantro roots/stems and simmer for about 15 minutes. If you had whole Thai chilies you would add 2-5 as well. I find that more citrus elements make it better so plenty of lemongrass/zest and 6-8 leaves. Be careful with Thai chilies! Strain into a new pot add shrimp and simmer gently or let them poach about 5 minutes. I add Serrano chilies minute or two after the shrimp and eat the slices instead of adding to the stock and straining them out. Add lemon juice so you have a pronounced acid flavor and fish sauce until it’s salty enough for you. The shrimp only need to be in the soup for 5 minutes or so. Eat immediately after the shrimp is cooked. You could make the stock in advance and add the final ingredients right when you’re going to eat without loosing quality. I can’t give exact quantities but I think this is good for making however much you want, a small or large batch. Garnish with finely cut green onions and cilantro.

:cowboy_hat_face:

('Jackie P') #5

Cor blimey that looks good!

(Full Metal KETO AF) #6

A guy can dream, can’t he?

Besides, you might inspire me one day, and break my lazy keto.

We’ll henceforth refer to you as: David, the Lazy-Keto Healer. :wink:

(Full Metal KETO AF) #8

My Own Cajun Blackening Spice Mix

I post lots of Blackened Meats, they are a favorite go to for me, usually for finishing sousvide meats, and pan fried fish or prawns. I make double batches, it stores well in a jar for a few months. This is more than you use for a single meal, probably about 10 servings at least.

Mix in a small jar,

1 T. Paprika

1 T. Salt

2 t. Onion powder

1 t. Garlic powder

1 t. Cayenne

3/4 t. White pepper

3/4 t. Black pepper

1 t. Oregano

1 1/2 t. Thyme

Take a paper towel and pat dry dry steak, chop or fish, coat liberally with the spice mix, pat it in and let it sit for a minute or two and pan fry very hot with a tiny amount of oil (I use bacon grease or coconut oil, about 1 teaspoon). Do not move until the spice is blackened, lift the edge gently to check it. This works best with sousvide chops, steaks and chicken because it’s hard to cook pork and chicken enough and get proper blackening. If you’re not using sousvide I recommend thin cuts of meat. You can pound chicken thighs with a meat hammer to flatten and even the thickness. I usually pour any drippings over the meat when it’s on the plate. :cowboy_hat_face:

Edit: This creates some pungent smoke, best to have a good hood or like I usually do, on an outdoor propane stove or grill with a cast iron skillet. :wink:

(Ellen) #9

Chop chop, get the rest of your recipes up!

(Full Metal KETO AF) #10

@Elle79 I make up stuff as I go a lot, actually putting them down in writing is a lot of work. Usually I would rather spend that time cooking something new! :man_cook:t3:

(Full Metal KETO AF) #11

(Ellen) #12

That’s fair, I rarely follow recipes (am much more throw it together & hope) but so much of your stuff makes my mouth water, so I’d be willing to try.

(Ellen) #13

P.s. have bookmarked this and looking forward to trying your Chinese/Asian recipes (I want more please) once I can get fresh ingredients, am sure will be better than using UK supermarket ingredients.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #14

Basic Brown Sauce Stir Fry

1 T. Soy Sauce (Kikkoman is fine)

1 T. Rice wine, Sake, Shaoxing, or Chablis

1 1/2 t. Erythritol or allulose powder

1/8 t. Xanthan Gum

Mix the first three well and whisk vigorously while sprinkling in the Xanthan Gum.

I usually parboil greens in salty water (like for pasta) for 30 seconds, drain and cold rinse to stop cooking. Let them drain well and shake off any water, sometimes I use a salad spinner. This also gives a less watered down stir fry from water released from veggies and preserves the bright green colors.

Put 1 T. (Or more) of coconut oil in the wok and add 1/2 t. of chopped or as I like very thin pinky nail sized slices of ginger root cut cross grain and a scallion cut in 1” pieces. Stir fry till fragrant and throw in the veggies and pre cooked meat if you wish, (my favorites are sousvide chicken thighs or a loin chop cut in slices or diced) or stir fry shrimp for a minute before adding veggies. When it’s hot add the sauce mix and mix well, it should coat and cling to the food and not pool in the pan. If it does clear a spot in the center and sprinkle and whisk more Xanthan Gum in, just a pinch mind you! If it’s too thick add a bit of water. Add some salt to taste if it needs it. I like to finish with about 1/4 t. toasted sesame oil before plating. This recipe is good for about 7-10 oz. of meat with 12 oz. veggies like broccoli or bok choy. Enjoy @Elle79. :man_cook:t3:

:cowboy_hat_face:

(Little Miss Scare-All) #15

You took the words right out of my mouth :rofl:

(Khara) #16

Hi David. Can you at some point please add your sour kraut instructions? I know I’ve seen the conversation. I’m looking through the food thread but it’d be great to have a fast access here. :slightly_smiling_face:

(Full Metal KETO AF) #17

I don’t think that I have ever posted more than pictures or lists of ingredients for sauerkraut. I was looking yesterday and couldn’t find any. I did offer a couple of people personal messages with a recipe. I basically learned by reading stuff on the web last fall when I started. These are a few rich sources which I drew my experiments from. I have only actually followed one or two to the letter.

My favorite resource

This was great, there’s plenty of sauerkraut myths floating around the web!

https://m.facebook.com/notes/wild-fermentation/mythbusters-wild-fermentation-edition-/10152528275575369/

This guy is the all time fermentation guru, a James Beard award winner for his book on fermentation. Sandor Katz.

https://www.wildfermentation.com/vegetable-fermentation-further-simplified-2/#0

You don’t need to buy any special stuff, you can usually find something that will work if you want to try fermentation.
Here’s a picture from my archives, I like to use bail top storage jars mostly with a ziplock bag full of brine for a top cap to let CO2 out and keep the veggies anaerobic and mold free. I really love the spaghetti storage jars, 2 liter with lots of headroom and easy to keep everything submerged.

These were all experimental except one, all great. I encourage creativity. Make sure you read the Paò Caí recipe thread above, full of sauerkraut basics as it’s a pretty similar process wherever it comes from in the world. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Khara) #18

Great, thank you! Yes, that last picture was the one I remember. The Pao Cai recipe is helpful too. :+1:

(Full Metal KETO AF) #19

(Full Metal KETO AF) #20