Deluxe Full Metal Keto Italian Meatballs

(Full Metal KETO AF) #1

Deluxe Full Metal Keto Italian Meatballs

So I have been using a lot of ground meats lately and enjoyed experimenting with making fresh sausage, meatloaf and meatballs from scratch. My meatloaf and meatballs have lacked that certain thing that makes them different from burger and sausage patties, bread crumbs. I asked my mom when I was a kid “Why do you put bread in meatloaf?” Her answer was as a binder and to stretch the meat. Well I tried different keto binder substitutes, psyllium husk, almond flour, coconut flour and found them all lacking texturally. I decided today to try making “bread crumbs” for the meat mixture and it’s a lot more like a meatball than a burger ball. I have my next tweak planned for this recipe but it is good enough to start a post which I will update very soon because I am quite happy with it so far. My next attempt will up the ground beef to 1 lb, and double the bread part. Also adjusting the seasonings proportionality. If you try it before I do post!

For the bread crumbs I used a modified keto coconut flour mug bread,

WET MIX
1 egg
1 Tablespoon water
1 Tablespoon Olive Oil

DRY MIX
2 1/2 Tablespoons Coconut Flour
1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder

Mix the two together and mix until there’s no lumps. Grease a bowl and microwave for 90 seconds or bake at 350F for about 15 minutes.

The meatball mix,

The Bread (crumbled and add water till saturated)
1/2 lb Ground Beef
1/2 lb Ground Pork
1 Egg
1 oz. Grated Parmesan Cheese
2 Tablespoons Dry Basil
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 scant teaspoon salt
Black Pepper

Mix well but don’t overmix. I used a small ice cream scoop to make 1” balls, I like consistency. Dip your scoop in water to make the balls pop out easier. After portioning with the scoop I wet my palms and lightly rolled them to smooth out the surface and get rid of cracks. Lightly oil a baking sheet and arrange the balls. Bake at 400F for 30-40 minutes depending on how brown you like them.

I made a Meatball Bake Casserole with Daikon Garlic Mash topped with Meatballs, Marinara and Mozzarella Cheese.

Enjoy. :man_cook:t3:

You asked for Full Metal Keto Recipes
What did you Keto today? Part Deux!
('Jackie P') #2

They look fab!
I havent looked back since I found that ground flaxseeds and an egg is a brilliant substitute for breadcrumbs. Also half beef and half pork mince makes it lighter.
If you want to get really clever, put a mozzarella pearl in each meatball!

Pre-Keto I always put ground garlic croutons and ricotta cheese (little Italian secret) in my meatballs…

I’ve only made them once since Keto WOE, put 1 egg, Asiago/Parm grated, and ground pork rinds into my sausage/ground beef mix…they were excellent :yum:

(Little Miss Scare-All) #4

YES! This absolutely is. It was my sizzi’s little secret that thet let me in on before they passed. Makes a big diff.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #5

@BeStill @x-Dena-x Do you let the ricotta drain, or let it hydrate the crumbs? :cowboy_hat_face:

(Little Miss Scare-All) #6

When I make my meatballs, its usually 2lbs of meat at a time, a beef/pork/veal mix. To that 2lbs, I add about 1/2 cup of drained whole milk ricotta. It makes the meatballs moist and cloud-like, yet stays together perfectly fine.