Jalapeño Cheddar Biscuit/Bun

(Full Metal KETO AF) #1

I’ve been working lately on a coconut flour bun, you can play with it adding stuff to it which helps eliminate the coconut flavor. My favorite so far has been adding cheese and jalapeños to it. I don’t have a microwave so I bake it at 350F for about 12 minutes in my countertop convention oven.

Grease a cup with butter or other fat (I use bacon grease usually for mine!).

Mix in a small bowl

1 egg
1 T. fat of your choice liquified (bacon grease for me)
1 T. sour cream or HWC (sour cream gives more lift with baking powder)

Whisk well and in another bowl mix

2 T coconut flour
1 t. psyllium husk
1/2 t. baking soda
A pinch of salt

Optional ingredients:
30 grams cheddar cheese grated
10-15 grams of jalapeño natcho slices
Garlic powder
Crumbled bacon bits

Add the dry to the wet and mix well, smooth with no lumps. Add your optional ingredients. If you mix in the cooking vessel it sticks to the bottom and doesn’t pop out easy.

Now I add the jalapeño natcho slices, not raw jalapeños. And about 20 grams of cheddar cheese, mix and put in the greased bowl. I use these lids but a small flat bottom oven safe bowl in the shape of what you want is what you need. I use these,

After about 8-9 minutes baking I top with the rest of the cheese. Put them back in the oven to finish baking.

This is something that I made up based on 90 second microwave bread, but I like how baking it adds a browned bottom and top. But you can microwave it. About 5 carbs.
Edit: this recipe makes one bun.

:hot_pepper::bacon::cheese::bread: = :yum: :cowboy_hat_face:

What did you Keto today? Part Deux!
What did you Keto today? Part Deux!
You asked for Full Metal Keto Recipes
(Diane) #2

Do you get 2 or 4 biscuits with the recipe as written?

(Full Metal KETO AF) #4

I doubled it for two, It’s a single serving recipe. You can multiply it and make muffins or free bake on a sheet pan for biscuits.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #5

Bacon products are optional! Make it to your taste! :cowboy_hat_face:

(Full Metal KETO AF) #7

@Kaitlynne I made Garlic Parmesan cheese with herbs once or twice. And I used Pepper Jack once. Feel free to experiment, I absolutely do! :man_cook:t3: :cowboy_hat_face:

(Running from stupidity) #9

Have you had a stroke?

(Full Metal KETO AF) #10

No stroke yet @juice, I use the Bacon Nectar. (infused lately because I’m a dirty filthy California hippie) :wink:

(traci simpson) #11

what can you substitute for psyllium?

(Steve) #12

How about some oat fiber instead of psyllium?

(Full Metal KETO AF) #13

You can leave it out, psyllium I have only used 5-6 times as an experiment to give texture change. I plan on other ingredient experimentation. I like @Jamboribs idea about oat fiber. @Keto6468 has been using this a lot. You could also try flax meal, a mix of almond and coconut flours. I have not tried any of these but what can it hurt when the batch size is so small what do you have to loose? You can make the same thing with 1/3 cup of almond flour instead of coconut with a few more carbs, ditch the sour cream if you do this. Have fun and let me know if anything you try improves this work in progress. :man_cook:t3:

(Full Metal KETO AF) #15

Awesome, glad to spread the joy! (You might be the first person to try recipes that I have posted, 1st to comment anyway!) Thanks for the feedback. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Diane) #16

I did try the cheddar jalapeño bun (with added bacon), but tried cooking it in a larger vessel. Didn’t work very well in the toaster oven. I tried cooking it on regular bake mode NOT convection and between the larger vessel and the fact that I’m at high altitude, it ended up being pretty dark on the outside before it cooked through. I cut it in half and toasted it to finish the cooking. So, fairly tasty but not pretty. I’ll post nicer pictures when I try it again.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #17

Cool Diane, by high altitude do you mean above 5000 ft. ? I know there are adjustments needed for recipes around there. I have never tried baking in a toaster oven before, it seems like too uneven heat to me. And there may be hacks for baking in one that I don’t know about. I’ve baked fish in one before :cowboy_hat_face:

(Diane) #18

I’m at about 4200 feet in Salt Lake City. I’m not good at adjusting baking recipes. I know you might need to add a bit more flour and cook at a slightly higher temp. I’ve generally had very good success with baking in the toaster oven. This just didn’t work well so I might start it in the microwave next time and finish it in the toaster oven to melt the cheese on top.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #19

I started to suggest that, and erased it because it was only an idea and I didn’t know what would happen. The bowl lids I bake in are a about as big as an English muffin. I would try a lower temperature and a longer bake. Try lowering to 300F maybe. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Judy Thompson) #20

This looks yummy! I think I’ll try them in a silicone muffin pan. I like that you cook them in the oven to brown them.

I did mine in silicone baking cups:

(Full Metal KETO AF) #22

They look beautiful Zed, were they delicious? I gotta get some of those baking cups. :cowboy_hat_face:

Delicious. I prefer those smooth side silicone baking cups over the normal pleated ones. I use them for all kinds of baking. I just used them the other day to make part of a batch of egg loaf:

Also good for Chocolate donuts made as cupcakes:

Imgur

Or baked fluffy coconut flour pancake rounds:

(Judy Thompson) #24

Beautiful! That’s the look I’ll be going for :slight_smile: