Did you throw out your toaster?

I don’t remember if I used a flourless version or not. Maybe that’s why it was eggy. Can you recommend a mug bread recipe that uses coconut flour?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #27

They’re all very eggy to me, even the ones guaranteed to taste “just like real bread.” I don’t always mind, but it’s not the taste I’d like, if I’m going to go to the trouble to make the stuff.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #28

So you’re never going to get a ketogenic bread that has quantities like yeast/wheat bread. They’re all quick breads. Try adding some stuff to the bread like grated cheese. I posted a Jalapeño Cheese Bun recipe that’s awesome. Also a coffee cake version. You have to not compare keto bread to your past bread experience and enjoy them on their own merits, like fried radishes or riced cauliflower they are not perfect imitations but add variety to your menu. I don’t really notice the eggyness in these things anymore and I usually eat them with eggs anyway! :cowboy_hat_face:

(Edith) #29

I threw out my toaster, but I bought a toaster oven. I do like to toast keto bread when I make it.

Exactly. You took the words right out of my mouth. Maybe if I’d known beforehand that it was going to be eggy then it wouldn’t have been so bad. But it was supposed to taste “just like real bread”, as you say.

@David_Stilley I like the idea of adding cheese. Why didn’t I think of that?

(Full Metal KETO AF) #31

Both recipes are in this thread I started about a week ago. I put all my personally tweaked or created recipes here, updated regularly. :man_cook:t3:.

:cowboy_hat_face:

3 kids so the toaster stays. I haven’t had a microwave for years, though, and have no intention of getting one.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #33

Excellent! :+1:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #34

Funny how folks differ—I couldn’t get along without a microwave, but haven’t used a toaster oven in years. To reach his own, I guess. :blush:

(Full Metal KETO AF) #35

Funny, I see microwaves as a device mostly useful for heating leftovers, a cold cup of coffee, or heating those god awful frozen pre prepared foods in the freezer section of the supermarket.

Like processed foods, people did just fine without microwaves until about 35-40 years ago. It seems like they were developed for the convenient frozen foods that the industry has been pushing on us the last 60 years. There isn’t really anything a microwave can do that you can’t do with old school kitchen skills. It just takes a bit longer. It’s like a giant bread box on your counter, who needs that really? Unless you have kids that need to use it so you’re not always in the kitchen getting them a snack. :slightly_frowning_face:

(JustGettingStarted) #36

I might need my toaster if I decide to cheat with a chocolate chip bagel. ;(

(Edith) #37

I have to dirty more dishes to reheat food without a microwave. Our microwave broke years ago and we did with out it for many months. I was very happy to finally get a new one. I like the ease it provides for reheating food. I’ve never actually cooked anything in it.

Edit: I take that back: I’ve cooked mug muffins in it. :grimacing:

Why do they put so damned many eggs in those recipes? I reduced one recipe from the called-for 6 eggs to 4 with no noticeable issues. I’m tempted to reduce them further. I just don’t get it.

Thank you! I bookmarked it. I think I know how to pull up bookmarks later, lol.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #40

Just tap your profile picture upper right hand of the screen and the bookmark icon is at the top. :cowboy_hat_face:

I eat a lot of frozen veggies and since I don’t have a stove I’d be eating some very cold veggies, haha. So, a microwave it is. But it does see it’s fair share of cold coffee!

I need to buy an electric skillet…

(Andrea) #42

I used to make a mean sourdough loaf…but alas, nothing since going on keto. I’m hoping to give mine to a foodbank/charity place. Would be good if someone got use of it.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #43

@weedrea I don’t know where you live but I usually just put stuff out on the sidewalk and it disappears :cowboy_hat_face:

Let me just give you my address…

Oh wait, I forgot this thread was about toasters. I got fixated on the sourdough bread!

(Deborah ) #45

I love my toaster over. Haven’t had a toaster in years and years. I use the toaster oven to (among many other things) toast slices of keto bread. Delish!