Chili Rellenos

(Full Metal KETO AF) #1

I missed Chili Rellenos. The usually have flour in the batter. I decided to try and adapt the traditional batter for keto substituting with coconut flour. It came out pretty good but I learned something in the process to try and refine it.

The first step is fire roasting the peppers. I like poblanos, but Anaheim or New Mexico Hatch chilies are fine too. If you live somewhere in the world where these kind of peppers aren’t available try a thin skinned variety suitable for stuffing. I like the traditional flavor of green chilies for this but would try it with long sweet red peppers maybe. So roast your chili peppers on a gas flame, with a torch, or on a very hot grill. They steam in their own juices after cooking. Sometimes it’s recommended to use a paper bag but I like a saucepan and lid. You want to char the skin without cooking the pepper too much. So you can’t walk off. Use tongs to turn them every couple of minutes charring the skin as evenly as you can. Small uncharred patches are okay.

Let the peppers steam in their own heat until they are cool. Then use your finger to wipe off the blackened skin and try to peel it all off. Do not wash them. Cut a slit so you can get inside and I like to carefully cut the seed cap off the stem, look carefully at the plate. I use a small boning or paring knife for this.

Fill your peppers. The traditional cheese is Oaxaca Mexican cheese but mozzarella is a very close substitute. I like to mix in some pepper jack if I have it, a little mild cheddar is okay too. Or use a Mexican cheese mix if you like. I don’t always grate it. A nice log of cheese is cool or cubes, it doesn’t need to be grated.

This photo also includes the batter elements ready for mixing. The batter is eggs, coconut flour and salt. So simple. Separate your eggs, yolks in one bowl and whites in another. If you’re not great at cracking and separating eggs use a third bowl to crack and separate each egg one by one. Crack an egg in the bowl, scoup out the yolk with your fingers and if you break a yolk don’t use that egg. Save it for breakfast. Any egg yolk in the white will cause failure. I use about 1 egg per chili. If you’re making a lot you might be able to use a little less. The batter can break down so you have to work fast at this stage.

Basically it’s this

1 egg separated
1 tsp. coconut flour
A pinch of salt

You’re going to mix the yolk, coconut flour and salt until smooth. Let that rest so the coconut flour swells. If it’s not kind of pasty add a little more flour. Beat your egg whites mercilessly, like a red headed step child!:grin: Stiff peaks are required so get out your cake mixer or sit down in front of the TV like I do with a wire whisk and a bo wl in your lap and burn some calories and build up your arm. :grin:
Then you want to take a rubber spatula and add about 1/4 of the whites to the yolk mixture. Take your spatula and just fold it in. Don’t stir. Just scoup underneath and turn it over until it’s mixed. Add more and fold, repeat with the last bit. It should be light and airy.

Heat your oil for frying. This part is tricky. Traditional restaurant method is a deep fryer but I shallow fry them in a wok to use the least amount of oil and keep the batter from spreading. You could try a 6” egg pan if that’s all you have. Be careful frying. Cook them one at a time. I used bacon grease because it’s coming out my ears. Dip a chili and slip it into hot oil, about 375F.

Scoup gently under an roll it over after it’s GBD (golden brown and delicious)

If you’re cooking a bunch for immediate consumption put them on a sheet pan in a warm oven to hold. I was just cooking for me so I ate the last two while hot.

Usually served with a mildly spicy tomato sauce on top. I like El Pato brand Jalapeño Salsa in the green or yellow can. Or make your own with tomato sauce, jalapeños, dry onion and garlic in a small amount and salt to taste.

Disfrute de su comida! :hot_pepper::man_cook:t4::cowboy_hat_face:

What did you Keto today? Part Deux!
You asked for Full Metal Keto Recipes
What did you Keto today? Part Deux!
What Did You Keto Today? The Trilogy!
(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #2

Chili rellenos are one of my favorite foods ever. That cheese, those peppers! Yours look tasty. Thanks for taking the time to take photos and share your recipe!

(KCKO, KCFO) #3

So what are you thinking of modifying? I think almond flour would work well, it more closely resembles corn meal when it is cooked. Also the best chili rellenos I ever had were baked not fried. Once I am out of fasting mode, I might have to give these a try, with the modifications I just mentioned.

I do love the look of that batter after the folding in of the whites.

Well done.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #4

@collaroygal Do your thing, never had Chili Rellenos with corn meal, been eating them since I was a kid and grew up on the Mexican border. There lots of good casserole variations, I was going for traditional.

My modification was putting a bit more coconut flour in the batter in the posted recipe than I did making it. It started breaking by the last pepper. :man_cook:t4: