My Keto Recipes

Yeah, I almost didn’t flip mine either, but then decided it would help the cheese melt and keep it hotter, longer. :slight_smile: But it is definitely filling.

Well, for some reason I just couldn’t fall asleep last night? :confused: I felt just fine, but just didn’t feel tired and didn’t get but a couple hours of sleep. Maybe between 3 and 5am? So I just took the day off. - So being I’m home today I decided try another attempt at making some Egg Foo Young. (2nd attempt) I think it’s getting there. Tasted fine to me (The Sauce) I just need to get the sauce to thicken up a bit.

For the Sauce, I used…
1-1/2 Cups of Chicken Broth (1/2 Cup for Patty)
1 tbsp. Soy Sauce
1 tbsp. Erythritol (But thinking I may try Liquid Stevia next time?)
1 tbsp. White Wine Vinegar

Needed to thicken the sauce, so I actually tried using a small amount of Psyllium Husk in this version, but when it appeared to start to jelly up on me some, I added more broth not wanting it to get too overall Jellied or become one big mass? (Though it might have just been me, since I haven’t used it much for thickening sauces before, so maybe it just takes more time? - Anyway, I plan to try Almond or Coconut Flour next time, but want to keep the sauce taste the same as it is now, just make it thicker in texture.

Basically for the patties, I used 6 Large Eggs, two cans of Bean Sprouts (which I may go back to one?) 1 pack of Medium Shrimp (41-50 count). Wife ate one, which is great since she never eats EFY! But said it tasted more Bean Sprouts, so cutting them back may help. But it was the Sauce I was working on, mainly trying to get it to thicken to the right texture…

I picked up some La Choy Bean Sprouts, since they didn’t have any fresh, and the other brand I used last time, Ty Ling, actually has more carbs in it. 6 carbs per can, whereas La Choy only has 3.5 per can.

If anyone is interested, here is the ingredient information…

Basically made the Sauce and then mixed up the Eggs, Shrimp and Bean Sprouts. (Actually added two more Eggs, thinking it was too thick, but going to stay with 6 for this, since I think the thicker mix would have worked better. (Not as Eggy, but seemed to be more like Brown Eggs, where I wanted it tighter.)

Sauce tasted good (to me) and was only slightly thickened, but I ate three patties and the Wife actually ate one! :astonished: She’s never liked EFY! So this is a good sign! :smile: Just need to thicken more

What Did You Keto Today? The Trilogy!
(Diane) #122

Glucomannan powder, it’s great for thickening hot liquids.

:grin:

Thanks, Diane. Will have to give that a try. :slight_smile::+1:

Couple days ago (Friday?) I got an idea to try something for the Wife. I know she occasionally misses a sweet treat or sorts and most of our meals are not sweetened. So I wanted to try making something that may work for this, on those occasions… Here’s a first run on the idea I had.

Sweetened Chocolate Chaffle with Strawberry infused Cream Cheese

Chocolate Chaffle:

• 2 large Eggs
  • 2 table spoons Mayo
  • 2 table spoons Almond Flour
  • 1 table spoon Cocoa
  • 1/4 teaspoon Baking Powder

Mixed this up and cooked for 6 minutes in the waffle maker…

Strawberry Cream Cheese spread:
1 block (8 oz.) of Cream Cheese
1/4 cup Milk
1/3 cup Powdered Erythritol
1/2 teaspoon of Strawberry Extract

First I softened the Cream Cheese, added the Milk, Erythritol and Strawberry Extract

Chopped up a couple Strawberries to add on top

When they were done, I simply added some of the spread and topped with Strawberries…

Wife & Son actually liked them and ate two each. She did say she would like me to try a little more Cocoa in the Chaffle next time, and just a little more sweetener in the Cream Cheese.

But making just 4 Chaffles didn’t use up all the batter, (As I had planned actually) so it was time to move on to phase II of this experiment, and that was to make a small Mousse/Cheese-Cake version of sorts.

For this I simply took the remaining spread…

Added 15 drops of Liquid Stevia, (because the added Cocoa)1/4 cup Cocoa and a Large Egg…

I mixed this well with a blender…

Then poured the mixture into two 4" Springform Pans

Now I had actually planned to bake these for 20 minutes, but was also doing some work on my work computer and didn’t get them out until about 27 minutes. They looked fine, but they did drop quite a bit after cooling and I’m sure this was from being slightly cooked too long.

They came out good and again they both liked them, saying they were quite creamy. I also would have liked to make these in some small Porcelain Souffle Dishes, but wasn’t sure where I put mine? So they ate them right out of the Springforms… and unfortunately I didn’t get any photos of them after chilling in the fridge for a few hours. Guess their forks were faster than my picture taking was. :slight_smile:

Wanted to add these in here, since I’ve been experimenting making up Chaffle Recipes recently…

Ranch Enhanced Chaffle:

• 2 large Eggs
  • 2 tbsp. Almond Flour
  • 1 tbsp. Mayonnaise (you can skip this if ya want, I like it ether way)
  • 2 tbsp. Ranch Dressing
  • 1/4 tsp. Baking Powder
  • 1/8 tsp. Salt (I’m guessing here, I mostly sprinkle in a dash or so)

I generally cook Chaffles for 6 to 8 minutes on high, depending on their ingredients. (or for crispness) This one I did 7 minutes to ensure it was cooked through, plus it was going back in the oven with meats added. The added Mayonnaise I think helps keep it a bit more moist without overdoing the Ranch.

Cottage Cheese & Mozzarella Cheese Chaffle

• 2 large Eggs
  • 2 tbsp. Almond Flour
  • 2 tbsp. Cottage Cheese
  • 2 tbsp. Shredded Mozzarella
  • 1/4 tsp. Baking Powder
  • 1/8 tsp. Salt

Cooked these for 6 minutes, and they came out pretty good. They are probably between the ‘Wonder Bread’ version (Which can be a bit frail to me and breaks up easy) & the regular Cheese based, which can be a bit hardened? The Cottage Cheese and Mozzarella Cheese gives it a nice medium firmness, not too hard or too soft. I think this may be my Favorite so far. (Though TBH I’ve really been wanting to experiment some with Sour Cream (also a Favorite) but haven’t had any here to play around with yet.

Edit: Not 5 minutes after posting the above, the Wife informed me that she actually picked up some more Sour Cream, as well as some Greek Yogurt her last trip. :neutral_face: They both look quite alike, so I may do some more experimenting later tonight or tomorrow with them…

Well, I tried the Sour Cream today at lunch and it wasn’t bad… Not much difference either, if I’m being honest. Similar to the ones above I made today’s as shown below.

Sour Cream based Chaffle

• 2 large Eggs
  • 2 tbsp. Almond Flour
  • 2 tbsp. Sour Cream
  • 3 tbsp. Shredded Mozzarella (Not packed but loose scoops)
  • 1/4 tsp. Baking Powder
  • 1/8 tsp. Salt

Cooked them for the same 6 minutes, but also put them in the oven for an additional 6 minutes to melt the cheese and heat the meats. But they weren’t burnt, but the images might appear so a little.

They came out a lot like the Cottage Cheese ones, and because of the meats and Mayo, I couldn’t really taste that much different. (Really need to try some plain to get the real taste though) But I’m liking both of these versions being it provides a medium textured Chaffle that doesn’t break up as easy like the Wonder Bread version and not as hard as the basic Mozzarella/Egg one. Plus you’re not using all that cheese in each one as well. So either Sour Cream or Cottage cheese works for me.

IMG_3436 IMG_3437

(Vic) #127

Great Thread Thank You

You’re quite welcome. :slight_smile::+1:

Well, I went back and tried my Shrimp Egg Foo Young again for the third time, and have to say thanks to Diane (@DiMo) for the suggestion of using Glucomannan Powder, which worked quite well indeed! :+1:

I have to say that I ended up using 8 large eggs this time, after I added the 1 can of Bean Sprouts, and bag of Shrimp, I thought it might need more Eggs? But I might have been wrong, being that it ended up making 6 large patties so think 6 Eggs would have worked just fine. So think I will stay with 6 and adjust the amount of sauce by half which I think will be enough for 4 big patties.

Shrimp Egg Foo Young:

Mixture:

• 6 Large Eggs
  • 1 Can Bean Sprouts (14.5oz.)
  • 1 lb. Bag of Peeled, Cooked Shrimp
  • 1 Nice chunk of butter to begin each patty.

Sauce (This will be the sauce I will be using)

• 1 Cup of Chicken Broth
  • 1 tbsp. Soy Sauce
  • 1/2 tbsp. White Wine Vinegar
  • 8 Drops of Liquid Stevia
  • 1/2 tsp. Glucomannan Powder

(Note: The above ingredients for the sauce are basically half of what I used today. But I think half will be plenty since I had some left over. For the record I used 2 Cup Chicken Broth, 2 tbsp. Soy Sauce, 1 tbsp. White Wine Vinegar and 20 drops of Liquid Stevia. The Sauce is supposed to be slightly sweet, but think it was just a little too sweet. So I will try 8 drops or so, but you can adjust to your liking.)

Mixed the Eggs, Bean Sprouts and Shrimp in a mixing bowl. (1 Can of Bean Sprouts seem to be good so it wasn’t too much like last time.) I then put the Chicken Broth in a Sauce pan, added the Soy Sauce, White Wine Vinegar and let that heat up on low heat. Heated the Frying pan to about medium so when I placed the mixture in, it immediately starts cooking quickly. (should bubble along the edges, like it may be too hot. But this helps get the edges cooked quickly to help keep it’s shape.) Then used the spatula to push the edges back toward the center to keep the patties thicker and not spread out too large. This is just for the first half to full minute or so. … Once the sauce heated up I started to add the Glucomannan, sprinkling it in slowly as I stirred it constantly. It thickened pretty nicely and did not take that long and wasn’t too thick and didn’t clump up. I just cooked the patties until they were browned up some.

It ended up making 6 nice sized patties, so my Son tried one since he had already eaten, and I had 4 and my 2 Pups, Khaleesi and Shelby got the last one with very, very little sauce. Everyone liked it.

Actually added a good amount of Sauce since I already realized it was going to be more than I needed so it’s why I reduced the mixture in half. Still had nearly 1/2 cup in the pan afterwards too. But think this will now work to my liking. At least I can’t think of anything else I can tweak at this time. :slight_smile:

What Did You Keto Today? Part IV
(Steve) #130

Outstanding Dave!
Thanks

Decided I wanted a different taste today for lunch, but didn’t have too much that isn’t frozen. Already have NY Strip Steaks in the Sous Vide for tonight, so took some of the same ingredients I usually have ready and made something different out of it. Just winging it, and I do like frying up patties of stuff…

Note: I usually say lunch, since I don’t eat early, (around Noon) but it’s usually Breakfast type foodies.

Italian Breakfast Patties:

• 16oz. Roll Gwaltney Mild Sausage (0 carbs)
  • 4 Slices of Thick Cut Bacon, cooked and cut up (0 carbs)
  • Pepperoni slices cut in quarters (used about 20 or 25) (1 carb)
  • 2 Cups of Mozzarella Cheese (6 to 7 carbs)
  • 3 Large Eggs (1.8 carbs)
  • Approx. 1/2 to 1 tsp. Italian Seasoning

Started by cooking up the Bacon & Sausage, and getting the pepperoni and Cheese altogether

Put all the ingredients into a Mixing Bowl

Mixed that up all up real good to even it out, then started added Eggs, one at a time until I felt three gave me a good texture to work with. Also added the Italian Seasoning, which I’m guessing was 1 tsp.

Then heated a frying pan on low/med heat, added some butter and put some in the center. I had to make the patty by using the spatula to form it to the size I wanted. Then cooked it for about 3-4 or so minutes on both sides. (Like mine a little crispy!) I also put two in the oven to see how that would work but ended up pulling them out and throwing them in the fryer. (Did I mention I like my stuff crispy? :smile:

They came out pretty good, and did indeed have a different taste. Somewhat my normal breakfast type foods, but they surely taste different and were a hit with the Family. - They should be able to freeze as well, but will have to test this when I make more then I would eat. :laughing: … I ate 3, the wife ate 1 and my Son ate 1, though they had eaten the rest of the Pizza I made last night. Made 5 nice patties

I actually meant to try adding some Mustard in the mix to one of them, as well as putting some Italian Dressing on one when it was done, but didn’t think about it at the time. By then it was too late.

The Wife stopped by a store the other day to pick something up & ended up calling me to say she had actually found something that I had been searching for over the years… Turkey Gizzards! - I have been looking for these at numerous locations for many, many years with no luck. I’ve always eaten Chicken Gizzards and Livers, and of course, Turkey too. But only the few you get with each Turkey you buy. But I now know of a place that might carry them regularly?!? If anything I have the 3 packs she picked up.

Wasn’t sure how I wanted to make these, but decided to just slow cook them and make some gravy.

Simple Turkey Gizzards in Gravy

• 1 Package Turkey Gizzards (2+ lb.) Trimmed of all Silverskin, grinding plate, etc.

Turkey Gravy:

• 1-1/2 Cups Turkey Stock
  • 1 tsp. Glucomannan Powder
  • Chopped Scallions (2-3 stalks) - (I actually forgot to add these this time!)
  • 1 tsp. Italian Seasoning
  • Salt and Pepper (to taste)

Since these Turkey Gizzards were quite large, I decided to completely trim them of all their Silverskin, Grinding-Plate, etc. (I don’t usually do this with Chicken Gizzards, since they are not that big to begin with, and would end up quite small once they cook up) This also helps with being maybe too chewy.

Trimming the Silverskin, Grinding-Plate, etc…

I ended up yielding just over 20 oz. or 570 g of trimmed up meat. Added this to a large skillet and filled with water to about 1/2 inch above the pieces.

Cooked on Low/Med for about ten minutes, which will cause the denatured protein to form on the top, which can then be skimmed off. (This step doesn’t have to be done, but I do prefer to. Foam/Scum will eventually break back down into liquid.) And the pieces shrunk down some. Turned down temp to Low.

After letting this slow cook over the next 3+ hrs, I strained it well, placed it in a Sauce Pan and added 1 Cup of the Turkey Stock. I let this cook some on Low/Med for another 20 minutes or so, then added 1 tsp. Glucomannan Powder to another 1/2 Cup (cold) Turkey Stock, mixed it well and incorporated this into the pan. It then only took about 5 minutes or so on medium heat for the Gravy to get nice & thick.

This actually came out quite good, even though I had forgotten to add the damn Scallions! :no_mouth: I was doing multiple things at the time and just plain forgot. But the gravy came out pretty good too.

If this store actually does carry these regularly, I will definitely be picking some up from time to time. Also thinking I could fry some of them up for the Girls to have as Chewy-Treats. They absolutely love and drive me crazy anytime I eat Chicken Gizzards (or Liver) so these big boys should work great!

Decided to try something today I had thought about, but just hadn’t tried yet… Boy what an idiot! :crazy_face:

I’ve been using the Jennie-O Taco Seasonings Turkey Sausage for some time now, using it mostly for making Taco Salads & even adding it to some other recipes, such as the Zucchini Boats I like to make, to add a different flavor from time to time. But I’ve really been wanted to try it in a stuffed omelette.

Taco Omelette

• 16 oz. Jennie-O Taco Seasoning Turkey Sausage (0 Carbs)
  • 5 - Large Eggs (Approx. 3 Carbs)
  • 3 - Scallions (Chopped/Diced) (3 to 4 Carbs)
  • 1/2 Medium Tomato (2+/- Carbs)
  • 1/2 Cup? Shredded Cheddar Cheese (4 Carbs)
  • 4 tbsp. Sour Cream (2 Carbs)
  • Salt and Pepper

First I threw the Turkey Sausage into a frying pan and cooked it for about 10-15 minutes, making sure to break it up so it was fine and not large clumps. (Note: Once the Turkey Sausage is broken up it will create a liquid which cooks back in after about 5-10 min. Took it off the heat and set it to the side.)

Cooked up Taco Turkey Sausage and Chopped up 3 Scallions and sliced 1/2 Tomato…

*Whisked up 5 Large Eggs, poured them into a large frying pan with Butter and added Salt & Pepper. I let this cook up some, maybe 4 minutes or so, or just until the egg is almost set on top. *

*Added a little Cheddar Cheese all over, then added the Turkey Sausage and then some Scallions… *

Added Tomato and then some Sour Cream on the other side…

Added a bit more Cheese, then flipped it in half and added the remaining Cheese…

It came out excellent and had a lot of flavor. (I’ve already taken another roll of it out for tomorrow! :smile: Batch made 2 very large and filling Omelettes, which my Son & I had one each. He really liked it too!

(Ashley) #134

I’m going to try this if I can find the sausage that looks like a easy meal!

It really is quite simple, as well as filling. The Turkey Sausage is also very Taco-y in flavor too. - Picked some up a couple years ago, just to try it out and have something different to work with. - Found I really like using it to make Taco Salads, which also works great. (Taco’s have always been a favorite of mine)

Let me know if you’re able to find some and try it. Would love to see the pics. :slight_smile:

(Ashley) #136

I will do I’ll probably check out the store tomorrow and see what I can find, taco salads are my favorite so I’m very intrigued! The omelette will be great as I have a lot of eggs to eat!

(Ashley) #137

@Digital_Dave I haven’t made a omelette yet but I am trying the turkey taco meat just in a bowl with sour cream and cheese it smells good cooking, this may just turn into a new favorite meat, fatten it up a bit since it’s lean and I think it’ll be great a addition and easy to cook!

(Ashley) #138

Update the turkey taco meat is fantastic, I’m assuming the sugar in it is minuscule! This may just be my new favorite meat.

Nice! :+1: - Glad you were able to get some. I really like the flavor, though it does remind me of Cat Food a little when I first open it and start cooking it up. :smile: - But once cooked, it’s pretty awesome stuff.

I like that it’s lean so I can add all the stuff that I like such as Sour Cream, Cheese, Dressings without overdoing it. But it seems like the applications for it are only limited to ones imagination. :smile: Usually keep a few rolls of it around, and can always come up with a quick way of making a meal from it.