Episode #58 - Switching it Up with Megan Ramos

(carl) #1

While at the Low Carb Breckenridge conference in Breckenridge, CO in February 2017, hosts Richard Morris and Carl Franklin had a conversation with Megan Ramos from Jason Fung’s clinic in Toronto, ON. Megan has thousands of hours of clinical experience dealing directly with diabetic patients who use fasting and ketogenic eating to reverse Type 2 diabetes and lose weight. Her advice, to switch up your diet more often than not, is the topic of this conversation. If you are on a ketogenic diet with intermittent fasting and find yourself at a plateau, take the time to listen to this episode. It may change your life.

When to exercise on extended fasts? BCAA?
Restrict plate fat when trying to lose body fat - discussion
16:8 /14:10 followed by 24 hour fast
Can one do keto and intermittent fasting at the same time?
First Fast...maybe IF....maybe extended
In ketosis, low calories as well but stuck
How does your typical day looks like with respect to food?
(Another) OMAD question
(Craig) #2

Have finally caught up with all the previous episodes after bingeing since Jan '17.

Is going to take some adjusting having to wait a week in between episodes.

(Ashley Haddock) #3

Me too! Started listening in December or January and finished last week. Now I’m sad. Lol

(Jeff) #4

This was a great episode.

I’ve been on a plateau for over two months. I’m doing two high-fat meals a day and not going over my macros. I’ll give it a try!

So, the basic premise is to cycle between eating more and less calories?

(Carl Franklin) #5

The idea is to switch it up between high fat days and fasting days. :slight_smile:

(Ashley Haddock) #6

I just finished the episode and holy crap, I feel like I learned so much! I’ve been stuck between 270-275 for about 6 weeks now and I’ve tried several things with no luck. I had a pretty high fat/calorie day yesterday so I’m going to try another day or two of high fat and then maybe try a fast. This is really exciting!

Thank you @carl and @richard for all your work on the podcast. It’s helped me and so many others and I recommend it every chance I get. And thank you to Megan for the insight!

(Cheryl Meyers) #7

Great episode as usual! Thanks.

(MakinBacon) #8

I did the same thing when I first started listening last year. I think I listened to something like 30 episodes in 1 week, lol. I hate having to wait an entire week for my next podcast fix, but it’s always so worth it.

(Megan) #9

I’ll have to listen to that one. I love Megan Ramos and not only because she has a great name! I listen to her on the Fasting Talk podcast as well and I think she was interviewed on the Ketovangelist podcast. Yes, I’m a podcast addict!

(Zack F) #10

Her advice reminds me of Art Devany’s “keep it random” approach to intermittent fasting. Great show.

(erin louise bellamy) #11

Hey all, what a great podcast!

I was just wondering if you could link me to the post that you discussed regarding the latest research that one lady wanted to give to her doctor? I think one of the studies was a metaanalysis of 70 studies and the other was one over 6 years? I cant find the post and it would be very useful?

thanks all!

(Cathy) #12

I am flummoxed. It has been my long understanding that it is insulin that is the driver of weight loss and gain. The idea that keeping insulin very low through fasting and keto eating is the key. Now I am hearing that that body (mysteriously) becomes adapted and stops allowing body fat to be released. The suggestion is that this is due to calorie deprivation.

Pushing back against insulin resistance by keeping insulin production low through fasting makes sense but the body somehow counting the amount of energy being ingested does not make sense to me - particularly when there is ample stored body fat that is in play.

What is happening to those that fast for several days and longer?

Help!

(Ross Daniel) #13

(Michelle) #14

I think the difference in longer fasting is:

• autophagy
  • HGH release
  • the body is metabolizing it’s own stores for energy

But, if you eat OMAD, and your calories are 700-900, then your body does regulate down to that energy input.

At least, that is my understanding. I think if you did 700-900 calories daily for a week straight, that’s okay. All the other stuff kicks in when there are no ingested calories. your body foregoes metabolizing food to repair itself.

A great interview with Megan so much insight, thanks

(Patty W) #16

I appreciated hearing Megan on your episode, as well as the Jimmie Moore/Dr. Fung fasting podcast. Megan has a sweet & very practical approach to her advice. When you think about it, she is probably one of the top fasting coaches in the world, due to the volume of folks that she oversees & coaches daily on the IDM program. Her advice about switching it up makes sense, as it seems to match the feast/fast pattern our ancestors would have lived with.

Keep up the great episodes Keto Dudes!

several factors are at play. @MKChitown gave excellent examples.

you need to also consider where someone’s state of health is at. If they are suffering of significant metabolic derangement, then their body will likely be very feisty and prevent healing at a fast pace…like, really wanting to hoard fat as opposed to releasing, because of history of poor diet or too much stress on metabolism.

That’s why some people can heal more quickly than others.

What Megan described is that when you set another long term eating pattern, your body finds ways to be more efficient at the new setpoint. So, if you outsmart your body, keep the setpoint changing, your body has no way to find how to efficiently hoard fat. As soon as it determines an efficiency algorithm, you just make the algorithm no longer applicable because variables changed.

(brian) #18

another great episode! Thanks dudes

(Vladaar Malane) #19

Good Morning, I’m behind on podcasts, so I just heard this one last Friday. Anyone put this to strategy and gotten results?

I’m thinking she might be exactly right. My body is way smarter than me, and is constantly fighting my efforts to lose weight beyond my setpoint. LoL.

(Cathy) #20

Without going back and reading what the posts were referring to, I am guessing it is the advice to switch up fasting times, frequency and length. I had weight loss stop and actually regain after about a year of doing OMAD consistently - daily. When I started switching things up, I relost the weight and am ever so slowly losing more. I am very weight loss resistant so this is pretty exciting for me.