16:8 /14:10 followed by 24 hour fast

(Kevin) #1

Hi everyone.

This is my first post on what looks like a great forum. I have just started fasting and eventually want to become fill keto. Myself and my girlfriend have been following the 16;8 or 14:10 window.this week and was considering doing a full 24 hours today. We have combined fasting with a HFLC meal plan.

Is it ok to do intermittent fast followed by a 24 hour fast?

It really comes down to personal choice and what works for you. If you’ve only recently started LCHF eating, then it might be a little tough going fasting this early. Otherwise, I cant see any issue with a 24 hour fast.

If you haven’t done so already, you might want to check out the episodes of 2 Keto Dudes on Fasting and Metabolism.

Hope all goes well.

(Barbara Greenwood) #3

Yes, it’s fine - lots of people do it. Think about it- 14:10 is nothing more than not snacking after dinner, which at one time was considered normal!

The thing you want to watch out for is doing something like 23:1 every day, aka OMAD or one meal a day. It can be difficult to get enough energy into just one meal, so you end up doing calorie restriction by default, and long term that results in a reduction in metabolic rate. Translation - it works well for maintenance, but is not a good strategy for losing weight.

(Kevin) #4

Thanks ketokate(loving the name)and barbara :hugs: for the indepth answers. You are both awsome.

I have just found out my g/f has reduced our calories(mainly because we are not drinking alcohol(wine) and from 3 meals - 2 meals a day) So not sure how yet but we are going to have to increase the calorie intake. We have only been doing this for a week so still learning fast. (No pun intended)

My weight is 13.4st and my girlfriend is 15st. Just overweight no other problems (yet :confused:)

I broke my fast at 20 hours today with pint of cider and sausage role as well as a packet of salt and vinger crisps (chips in US and Canada and Aus I think). I’m very naughty!

I’m going to have dinner in an hour or so should be fine, back to HFLC.

I watched Dr Jason Fungs video and that has given me a lot of info but, while it all seems great; it’s hard to find practical ways of implementing it.

Any pratical tips should be super. Also I have a sweet tooth. To my understanding I shouldn’t eat sugar again? Not once a week, month or year!!

Thanks again all x

(Barbara Greenwood) #5

Hmm, well…

Cider, sausage roll, crisps… not exactly keto foods there, matey. Fasting, as the esteemed Jason Fung makes clear, can be added to any kind of eating regime. But no-one on here is going to tell you those were good options. Sorry, but there it is. If you want to eat keto, all three have to go.

Can you elaborate a bit on what you find difficult about Fung’s ideas? Just… don’t… eat. The only question is for how long you don’t eat… and how long you wait before you don’t eat again.

Sweet tooth - IMO, better to go cold turkey on both sugar and sweeteners, at least for a time. It may then be possible to reintroduce them occasionally. But don’t underestimate how addictive they are. Many people find moderation difficult, and abstinence easier.

It is possible to stay keto and have some sweetness if you have small doses of berries, for example, or use alternative sweeteners such as erithrytol or stevia. However, if these things keep the sweet tooth fuelled, you may be doing yourself a favour by leaving them alone.

Ok, so oops indeed on the breaking-fast regime!!

The best way to achieve success on Keto is to be prepared. Know what meals you’re going to have in advance, as best you can. Keep Keto snacks handy, nuts, bacon, fat bombs, etc that you can grab in a pinch.

Plan your fasts properly, work around tempting engagements such as celebrations that involve food and alcohol. Just as importantly plan when you’re going to end your fast, and how. Also have a back up plan in place in the event that you need to end the fast early. It’s all trial and error and finding out what works best for you.

Don’t beat yourself up when you slip up, but don’t make excuses for it either!! OLR