Can one do keto and intermittent fasting at the same time?

(Mary) #1

Hi, I’m new here. I’ve been doing intermittent fasting for awhile. I eat once a day between 6pm and 7pm. I try to keep my calories around 1100/day. I usually don’t pay attention to what makes up that 1100 calories but I’ve decided I’d like to try keto now as well. Is it possible to follow the 2 plans at the same time?

(KB Keto) #2

short answer, yes.

You’ll want to do some research on how to structure you’re one meal to ensure you get enough fat and protein and limit carbs. 1100 calories seems very low, but if that is what works for you. I cant speak to how that might effect ketosis though.

Try using https://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/ to see your needs. I’d shoot for the 75/20/5 ratio.

Good Luck and let us know how it works out for you.

(What The Fast?!) #3

100% yes! Loads of folks on this forum do daily IF with extended fasts as well. Keto and IF pair wel together because eating keto keeps you satiated longer than eating carb heavy meals.

(KB Keto) #4

Plus the science behind keto - once you are fat adapted, your body will use fat as fuel - which means when you’re fasting - you’re body will use your fat that you’ve stored over the years, your HGH will increase to protect muscles and typically your metabolism actually increases (as long as you dont fast longer than 60 hours) which means more fat burning.

(Linda Culbreth) #5

Yes. Keto and IF work real well together. Determine how many carbs you need, keep your carbs down very low, say <20 -30 total grams per day, the rest should be healthy fats, such as butter, ghee, coconut oil, avocado, bacon and bacon grease. Don’t worry about the number of calories.

(Todd Allen) #6

In general most people find eating keto makes any sort of fasting regime easier as lowered insulin reduces hunger. And any sort of fasting regime tends to make achieving ketosis easier.

If you are already comfortable only eating 1 hour per day and only 1100 calories my guess is your insulin average is already quite low and you are probably already accessing your body fat daily which would likely mean you are already transitioning at least mildly into ketosis on a daily basis. My guess is you will find transitioning to a keto diet easy and you likely won’t have to be nearly as strict or careful to count carbs as many require. And 1100 calories is a very restricted diet and you will likely find you can sustain your bodyfat goal at a higher caloric intake when eating keto which may result in more energy and an easier time maintaining or improving muscle and bone.

(KCKO, KCFO) #7

Yes, and in my case going Keto lead me to IF, which has now lead me to do extended day fasting.

The other posters have given you some good advice. I will just add that some days you will not feel like eating much, and then you will have a day when you want all the foods. This is pretty normal, so just go with what your hunger tells you.

Good luck on your weight loss Journey.

I think combining some amount of intermittent fasting with keto (and vice versa) is almost standard these days.

I eat one meal a day four or five days a week, have a longer eating window for one to three days a week, then throw in a 48-hour fast every now and then. I don’t typically keep track, but I know I’m rarely above 20g carbs per day.

Yes! I would up your calories though. More of a feast and fast pattern will get better results IMO. Check out the podcast with Megan Ramos…

I would also look at the Fasting Talk podcast with Jimmy Moore, Jason Fung and Megan Ramos.

(Mary) #10

Thank you!!

(Mary) #11

Thanks so much. I will!!

(Mary) #12

Thank you!

(Mary) #13

Thank you for your advice!

(Mary) #14

Thanks so much!

(Mary) #15

:blush:Thanks so much!