First Fast...maybe IF....maybe extended

(eat more) #9

update:
i’m not super educated on fasting so i either broke at 28 hours with a little almond butter (only non liquid intake) or i’m on hour 37…38 by the time i finish this post LOL…having bpc now :blush:

i slept well, feel pretty alert :flushed:, and already had a bathroom “business” meeting (tmi?)
last night before the bite of almond butter i was feeling and literally thought “ok you did it…maybe let’s not do this again”
but i feel really good today

so i’m wondering if the “hcg diet” is really just a form of keto/fasting (with an unnecessary component).
it’s under 500 calories, low carb, has fat fasts, egg days, nut days, etc (i’ve been thinking about this for a while)

to be clear i am not advocating or suggesting the hcg diet in anyway.
i think it effs up ppl’s relationship with food and themselves and there’s no HF with the LC…i just do see some similarities…

i’m feeling accomplished even if maybe im doing it “wrong”…or at least outside the accepted fasting “rules” (cuz i don’t really know what they are…i just jumped)…really accomplished that i did the workout i did fasted and didn’t die…it was hard but it would have been hard with food too (maybe harder?) lol

thanks for reading fine ppl :blush:

(John) #10

I don’t think there really are rules any more. In the strictest sense maybe not but to me if you are under a couple hundred cals I would consider that fasting.

I have always been too chicken to fast (mmmm chicken) but I haven’t eaten in 14 hours now, so maybe I will give it a try. Now that I said something i’m hungry :frowning:

It’s not the ultra-strict water fast, but it would still qualify as a fast, so good work! :smile:

I’d say that it is still effective in helping to reduce insulin resistance as well as allowing autophagy.

I just finished a spontaneous 36 hour fast and I had a few calories here and there from non-dairy coconut/almond milk creamers, some chicken bone broth with sea salt and 1/2 tbsp butter where the carbs were 0 and protein only added up to 2 grams for the entire day. I could’ve kept going, but decided to make it an OMAD until Saturday morning’s breakfast instead of making it 60 hours.

(Michelle) #12

you ARE accomplished!!! Working those fasting muscles. GO YOU!! :+1:

(eat more) #13

that’s how i jumped…“meh it’s already been 14 hours…let’s just see what happens…you can eat anytime you want” :joy:
i think it’s definitely different when you give yourself permission to make the choice to do/not do versus “can’t” or “have to”

i actually tell ppl that are trying to quit smoking that i never told myself that i “couldn’t”…we are rebellious creatures even against ourselves/own good

(eat more) #14

i want to workout NOW but don’t have time :cry:

(eat more) #15

we’re “spontaneous fasters”

i might just be spontaneous…anyone want to go to vegas? :joy: (i kid)

(John) #16

That’s funny because I quit smoking sort of the same way, I said smoke all you want, but don’t buy another pack, we’ll see how long people let you mooch. It wasn’t long.

What would you estimate the calorie count of the few BPCs you had?

(Jodi Stewart) #18

Beautiful idea @Mcritchfield!

(eat more) #19

fast broken with actual food at 45 hours (salami, a slice of bacon, and pistachios)

it was frighteningly easy…i began to wonder if i’d ever eat again :joy:

the only real reason i broke it was because it was “close enough” to 46 and i was freezing (it’s 75ish degrees here)

@Kirkor all of yesterday was around 500

EDIT: it was actually 47 hours
7pm wednesday - 6:15-30ish in friday

46 must have been in my brain because of @ron-coleman 46 day fast lol

Awesome Mikki! I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s time for me to do some fasting of some sort.

(I am a Dog (Dog's eat until they burst!)) #21

Congratulations @mikki on your fast! I have found that increasing your salt really helps with the chills, I have had to increase my sodium intake to 2 to 2.5 tsp. (4,000mg to 5,000mg) per day and it really helps!

(John) #22

This day after has been been crazy, my stomach hasn’t quieted all day.

(I am a Dog (Dog's eat until they burst!)) #23

Yes, the second and third day can be very active for some. It does get better with more experience at fasting!

(eat more) #24

two of my friends are fasting today! :blush:
thanks to you guys i can give them personal and forum tips!

(eat more) #25

oh yeah…feast/fast
is it the megan ramos link or some other that ya’ll can point me to?
seems like it’s a newly active practice and i want to understand it more clearly
it took me forever too sort out IF because a lot of the info i found kept saying “it’s really about calorie restriction” and that didn’t sit well with me…it’s about same daily targets just in a smaller period of time…right?! :joy:

Feast/Fast is about 2 things.

First is feasting before you fast

Second is stressing that you get plenty of calories and nutrition during the feast to avoid entering a chronic calorie-restricted state that affects BMR and reduces it.

A person could still eat reduced calories during their feast provided that their body can supply the deficit from adipose tissue, but it’s important to make a clear distinction between chronic calorie restriction and just reducing calories and getting the difference from body fat.

Right now the only difference appears to be experiential because in calorie-restriction the body will sense it as a famine and reduce energy expenditure which would probably result in feeling cold and reduced energy, but reducing calories where the difference is supplied from body fat wouldn’t result in any metabolic slowdown.

I’m a little confused as to how many calories I should be eating during a fasting pattern of one meal a day. I naturally tap out at about 800 calories. Then it’s back into fasting mode. Maybe it’s only temporary and it’ll even out as I switch up the fasting pattern. Also, I eat carbs and fat and protein. Today it was about 40 fats 30 carb and 30 protein. I don’t really know what to eat. There is a lot of conflicting information out there and I’m such a noob. Any thoughts?

(Tina Emmons) #28

I just posted the same question about HCG. Wondering if anyone knows if the drops were actually doing anything or was I just fasting?!?! Seems like I would have had a similar result only wouldn’t end up hating poor, unsuspecting skinless chicken breasts and plain beef patties! I never encountered any fats tho, as you said. My instructions were zero fats including not even touching them with my hands??