Corn tortilla chips

Yay for corn tortilla chips!!! Ok, I winged this recipe…first time I made this. And I got crispy tortilla chips on the first try!! Dang!! I’m going to show you how I did it, and a couple of extra tips that I would do if I were to repeat this process. Hope you enjoy! :sunglasses:

First, get a can of baby corn and purée it with a stick blender

In a bowl, add 5 tablespoons almond flour, one tablespoon ground flaxseed, one egg white and 1/2 cup baby corn purée. (I didn’t add any salt…in retrospect, I probably should have added about 1/4 teaspoon salt)

Blend the ingredients, and this is what the dough will look like

I made two pieces of thick plastic film by cutting apart a ziploc bag

I scooped out one tablespoon of dough

Roll the dough into a ball and place it on one piece of plastic film

Place second piece of plastic on top of the ball

Flatten the ball with a flat surface". In this case, a sauce pan was used as a press

The result was a beautiful tortilla!

The tortilla was transfered to a parchment paper on a cookie sheet

Here’s a pan with the tortillas, ready to go into the oven

If I were to make this recipe again, I would buy a tortilla press. It would speed up the process and produce perfectly even tortillas. By the way, even with the tortilla press, the two pieces of plastic would still be required. This is how real tortillas are made, too

Bake the tortilla in preheated oven 350 deg F, for 10 minutes

At this point the tortillas are flexible. Stack them up and cut them into quarters. (Note, you can make a huge batch of these and freeze the quarters. Then you can proceed with next steps)

Heat up some fat, in this case I used about an inch of lard. The fat needs to bubble as soon as the chip hits the oil. Fry the chips for about one minute, enough to give them a crunchy texture

Take the chips out immediately when done, onto a paper towel to soak up extra grease. Add salt while they are still hot. Let them cool

On a plate with guacamole dip

Perfect crunchy chips with guacamole

Tamales
Accountability - low carb tortillas
Corn chips
Favorite tortillia recipes
What did you Keto today?
What did you Keto today?
What do you miss?
(I want abs... olutely all the bacon) #2

I luv that you have the Cuisinart container, I have the same immersion blender and every now and then look at that container and think “I should probably use that instead of half ass using every other container in the kitchen” :joy::laughing::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Oh honey, I’ve been there, too …believe me!! :joy:

(Henna Selnes) #4

Oh now, yes!! My bamix can get used again!! I am going to try this. Green chili and chips. Yes!!!

(Mike W.) #5

I just put 2-and-2 together and realized thats where we got that container!

(Larry Lustig) #6

Game. Changed.

(Henna Selnes) #7

Just thinking on this. Instead of almond flour, do you think possiable golden flax ground, plus the brown flax. Or do you think this would take from the flavor or add from what you have developed?

I used the almond flour because it is more mild. Flax has a very overpowering taste. I like the taste…just, overpowers everything else, though.

(Michelle) #9

this is one thing I miss the most!!! tortilla chips. Definitely going to work up the courage to try this!! :blush:

(Larry Lustig) #10

Can the griddled but not-yet-fried tortillas be used in a fashion similar to soft corn tortillas?

Yes you can! You win the internets!

I was wondering who would be the first person to point that out!

OK, you’re hired.

(I want abs... olutely all the bacon) #13

[quote=“Fiorella, post:1, topic:8145”]
I would buy a tortilla press
[/quote] I bought a cast-iron press on-sale yesterday! My Hubby is looking forward to chips, I’ll share the pics if they look decent.

(eat more) #14

here’s another one for when you’re feeling brave :blush:

i made these a few times in my pseudo paleo days and they were a good guac delivery tool…

http://paleogrubs.com/homemade-tortilla-chips-recipe

(Brad) #15

Don’t believe corn is keto, so not sure i would recommend this as a group.

This recipe doesn’t use corn (which is very high in carbs). It uses baby corn, which is significantly lower in carbs. Two completely different things.

(Crow T. Robot) #17

Yup, baby corn has 3 net carbs per 130 gram serving (6 total). It’s mostly fiber and water.

Great recipe! I might go and get one of those tortilla presses just for this.

(Jan) #18

@Fiorella, you are stunningly awesome! I need to get myself to a store & pick up some baby corn. (We had some, but my daughter just discovered how yummy it is right out of the can with some hot sauce…)

(Larry Lustig) #19

Just look up the carbohydrate content to find out the effect it will have on ketosis.

Baby corn is lower carbohydrate by weight than broccoli.

(Sandy Green) #20

I didn’t think we could eat corn?