Accountability - low carb tortillas

Ok I have gotten myself into a bit of a bad habit with regard to 4 net carb tortillas. I pretty much eat one at dinner every night and am quite sure this is not helping get me to where I want to be health wise. They don’t kick me out of ketosis per my blood meter but my ketone levels are usually sub 1.0. More importantly it feels like I can’t stop eating them which tells me that there is something that is not helping me. I am putting this out there because I am going to try to go 7 days without them and see how I feel. Hopefully reporting back here will help me stick to that plan. Amazing how this is making me feel scared - over a tortilla! I am clearly still sick in my relationship with food.

Same here, I had a similar experience when just doing LCHF before going strict keto.

You might try the cheese crisps or fried cheese alternatives that come out similar.

(James storie) #3

This is the exact reason why I haven’t tried the “low carb” tortillas. I LOVE Mexican food and one of the only non keto foods I truly miss is tortillas, especially corn tortillas. But I know if I have some it’s just going to make me want more. I did find a recipe that uses pork rinds, but it was a little more like flat bread.

(I want abs... olutely all the bacon) #4

Have you tried @Fiorella corn tortillas made with the canned baby corn before it forms all the carbage. I have a can, but haven’t tried the recipe yet.
Corn tortilla chips

(eat more) #5

there are these also…i’ve made them once and i made them too thick so they were just like cauliflower patties (tasty tho) but i bet ya’ll could do it right LOL

Thanks everyone for the support and great alternatives, this place is awesome!

(James storie) #7

I’ll have to check that out! Thanks!

(Patrick B.) #8

I use them for quesadilla about twice a week… So easy… so nice… I don’t think it’s causing me a problem though.

Well do let us know how it goes!

Giving up real tortillas has been hard – I think I’ve tried every freakin’ low carb recipe out there! None so far compares to the real deal, either flour or corn. (Although those low-carb flour ones you can buy at the store are pretty darn tasty. I can’t eat them anymore because I can’t eat wheat.)

I have experimented with a really tasty green tortilla I make from real corn masa mixed with nopal cactus juice that I make in a blender. That’s a whole 'nother animal as it does still have carbs – and I guess part of keto is not only cutting the carbs but avoiding grains because they lead to inflammation, right?

Mission brand, I think, makes an extra-thin corn tortilla that’s maybe 6-7 net carbs. I’ve been able to have one of those every now and then with no ill effect. But every night? Alas, no… For me, I’d rather stay away most of the time and just have the (extra-thin) real deal once in blue moon. I mean really rarely though.

Sorry for the long ramble, but this is a topic very near to my heart!

Best of luck with your cold turkey experiment.

(Kathy Meyer) #10

I just roll out some Carlshead dough, cut them in a circle (use a plate), and bake – they make great tortillas. You can also cut the dough into triangles for chips and bake just a tad bit longer for crispiness. Just really watch them in the oven as they can get too much very easily. I can be satisfied with one, at the most two, small tortillas for tacos and not want to have more, which is a good thing.

Ok an update - I have survived sans tortillas! I actually don’t even miss them now! I am mostly using lettuce in their place.

(Brittany Buffa Cece) #12

I guess I’m confused on the whole concept of low carb wraps that only have 4-6 net carbs depending on the brand, but you still can’t eat them because they’re not “Keto-approved” based on the ingredients. If that’s the case, which ingredients are Keto approved?

(Janell Sampson) #13

Did you lose any weight the week you didn’t eat them? Trying to figure out why I have been stalled since Sept.