What do you miss?

(Jessica) #1

For me, it’s tortilla chips, like the ones at Mexican restaurants. The salty crunch is something I haven’t found a replacement for yet. And hibachi, but not as much as chips.

(Candy Lind) #2

I’ve made these once but will definitely make them again. The trick is to get the pulverized baby corn as dry as possible before adding the other stuff. Next time, I think I’ll make a lot of “rounds” and freeze some, because the fried chips will go rancid after a while. I can just fry what I need if I keep a stash of rounds.

They are not the same as corn meal tortilla chips, but if you fry them good & crispy, they fill that void.

(Natasha) #3

Chip shop chips with loads of salt and vinegar… “mmmm, nice!”

For salty and crunchy, cheese Crisps are easy to make in the microwave

I can turn a 12-slice package of cheese into cheese crisps in less than 10 minutes (4 batches; 3 slices per batch; 2 minutes per batch). You can use silicon cupcake molds, but I find the 3-well and 6-well silicon trays so much easier to load and unload. I’ve created crisps with sliced cheeses, sliced off from blocks, and shredded. They all work.

But you really need the silicon molds to keep their shape and texture consistent. I used to make them on parchment paper or a silicon mat, and they tend to spread all over when the cheese gets molten.

(Dana) #5

Ahh, Mexican restaurants… one of these days I’m going to eat a tamale again :heart_eyes: I am something of a tamale connoisseur, but I haven’t craved them yet. The first non-keto thing I really, really wanted was juice. Some kind of fruit punch or cherry juice sounded so refreshing. Artificial-juicelike-flavored water is okay sometimes, but it doesn’t quite cut it.

(Dana) #6

Also good for this is baby kale chips. Lately I buy a bag of Fresh Express salad mix (baby kale, baby spinach, baby chard mix), massage a little olive oil into the leaves, lay them out in a single, time-consuming layer on a parchment-covered baking sheet, and crack my pink salt all over them. Bake at 300F for 13 minutes, no flipping or shaking necessary. They are too fragile for dipping, but they are great if you want some mindless munching. Plus it’s a great way to crush a whole bag of salad.

(Jessica) #7

I’ve tried them. The first batch got a little burnt. The 2nd not crispy enough. I need to give it another shot.

I don’t miss anything in the sense of needing to find a time to eat it (whether you call that a “cheat” or not). I do have very mild nostalgia for a few things, usually when they’re right in front of me, i.e. friends or colleagues. But it’s nostalgia in the enlightened sense as well. A bit like, “weren’t the old days much better than modern society” and glossing over how you don’t get caned any more at school, you have amazing access to more information than ever before, etc.

My nostalgia is some proper British fish and chips drowning in salt and vinegar. But I’d be disappointed if I ate them now!

(Amy Ramadan) #9

I miss ice cream, cereal and fruit!! But it’s not to the point where I’m willing to risk sacrificing the results I have seen so far!!! Planning on trying out a few keto ice cream recipes, and see if they are a suitable substitution!! All and all I enjoy this WOE, and really wouldn’t change much!! If I do get to the point of massive cravings, I will probably indulge a little, and then get back to it!! We shall see…

(Jessica) #10

This is definitely where I’m at. I love this WOE and don’t plan to sabotage myself on anything, but I did have some favorites that I miss. Chips are definitely a vehicle for other things and I think it’s the combo I miss. Not just the chip. I suspect @Gaff is right and it wouldn’t be nearly as satisfying as one might imagine. And it is mostly in the moment being around someone else who is eating it. I’m not craving really at all. I haven’t been tempted by pasta in front of me since starting, so I guess we’ll see about that. I LOVE pasta and spaghetti squash is just not the same.

(Amy Ramadan) #11

We usually made zucchini noodles in place of pasta!!! Not the same thing by any means but it works!!! Owning an Italian restaurant definitely makes it hard to resist but so far I have been able to!! Holding on to the 23 lb loss so far and keep telling myself I have a long way to go, using that for motivation and that has been enough to resist indulging!!! So far anyways…

I enjoy Breyer’s Carb Smart, Halo Top, and Enlightened ice creams. No more than one serving per day. But, these days, I’m satisfied with one serving. In the old days, I’d be thinking about that second pint of Ben & Jerry’s in the freezer after I finished the first one.

(Amy Ramadan) #13

Will check it out!! Thanks!! At one point I thought about the carb smart ice cream :icecream: but then just as quickly forgot!!! Will have to pick some up next time I’m at the store!!

Food wise, nothing really. I’ve enjoyed creating better version of things I like, but again it’s also helpful I wasn’t into most of the things that Keto folks should avoid in the first place, like pasta’s, bread, starchy vegs, i.e., potatoes, fries, etc. So for foods, there’s nothing that really stands out at the moment.

For drinks, I can’t say there’s one thing that stands out, but I do wish there were more options though. I pretty much drink only water now. With the occasional ice tea or rarer coffee. (For someone who drank coffee every day, all day and all year long. (Before Keto) But it’s not about having a sweet treat (Liquid treat, I mean) but I do wish there were more options, just for the change of pace from time to time. :slight_smile:

(Jo O) #15

Dim sum. It’s all carbs. Except the excellent roast pot belly. I used to scrap all the outer carby layer. Now I’ll just thoroughly indulge once or twice a year.
Definitely pay for it later.

(Michelle) #16

Carrot cake. I only make it once a year, on Easter, and I’ve been keto since May. We will see where I am in my journey next Easter. But it is so good. Moist as heck with golden raisins, pineapple, carrots, cream cheese frosting. It is eaten as breakfast and/or dessert while it’s in the house.

(Rita) #17

Baguette and croissant

(Wade Minter) #18

Bojangles 3-piece fried chicken dinner with cajun fries, sweet tea, and a biscuit.

(Linda) #19

Sandwiches with chips or Doritos, and a glass of milk. Oh - and popcorn.

(Jessica) #20

Yes! We went to a movie yesterday. We usually get a large bucket of popcorn and a box of candy each. I wasn’t sure what to do with my hands!