Corn tortilla chips

There is no corn in this recipe.

(kac) #22

I just made them!! I used my Vitamix for blending which worked, but was a pain to get the stuff out from under the blades. I feel like I should have drained them more, because the paste was really wet. I think I made the tortilla mix too thin, as it stuck to the plastic, so I made them a bit thicker and it worked fine. I used olive oil to fry, only because I didnā€™t have any lard. I want to try it with lard next time. I burned the first batch, but will still eat haha! They were okayā€¦ not bad at tall, just different taste. Definitely will make again. Thank you for the step by step recipe! Oh-- I calculated an APPROX 5.25g carbs for a 1/4 batch.

Thanks for the feedback! Glad to know you tried the recipe. Yes, any canned product packed in water needs to be drained very well.

There is also more variability that can be introduced by the quality of the canned products, too. I noticed some being stronger or blander than other batches. This would impact final flavour.

Frying in olive oil would certainly increase chances of burning, because olive oil has a lower smoke pointā€¦so you can burn both the tortilla and olive oil at the same time. Lard has a very high smoke point, so only potential problem is scorching the tortillas.

(KCKO, KCFO) #24

Try using avocado oil, high flash point. And it doesnā€™t impart a flavor like olive oil will. But if you can get lard, use that.

Humm, wonder how these would taste fried in rendered bacon fat??? Must get canned corn now, byeā€¦

I, too, had a lot of trouble with this recipe being too wet. That said, YOU HAVE CHANGED MY LIFE!!!

Put another way, I have died and gone to heaven.

I wanted to make tortillas but the mix was so wet I couldnā€™t even make it into a ball. So I added a lot more almond flour ( a LOT ā€“ like 15 tablespoons!) so I could form it. Used my tortilla press and cooked on a griddle. The tortillas tasted good but were crumbly, no doubt because of all that almond flour. I was thinking about adding xanthan gum when on a whim, I added a tiny bit of tapioca flour.

WOW!! It came out to 1 extra gram of carb per tortilla, a price I am more than happy to pay. These taste and feel just like the real deal and even puffed like a good tortilla should. I had them for lunch with my homemade queso fresco.

Now I have to figure out how to recreate the recipe and will post it once I do because I canā€™t say it enough, @Fiorella ,YOU HAVE CHANGED MY LIFE!!!

Yeahā€¦almond flour is very variableā€¦so, thatā€™s why there may be a difference in amount needed.

Iā€™m glad you are very clever and were able to make the adjustment. Your photo looks phenomenal!!!

(Linda Culbreth) #27

Has anybody tried these with coconut flour instead of almond flour?

(Gale Dacalio) #28

Thanks, Y\That is a great idea. I miss my chips and salsa. Pork rinds just arent the same.

(Candy Lind) #29

Made these! I have officially joined the ranks of the ā€œ@Fiorella is Wonder Woman!ā€ camp.

At first I thought Iā€™d failed, because I left too much moisture in the puree. Had a DEVIL of a time getting the tortillas off the plastic and onto the parchment. Then, when I fried them, they didnā€™t get crisp even when they were almost scorched. Some of them got crisp and the taste was good, but ā€¦ then, I had the bright idea of putting them in a low (250F) oven to dry them out, and 20 minutes later they were crisp! So now I know how to ā€œfixā€ them if they donā€™t crisp up in the oil. And next time (today!), I think Iā€™m going to try pressing between 2 pieces of parchment and then bake them without having to try to (re)move them. Iā€™m making 2 or 3 more batches today so we can take some with us on the truck for ā€œTexMexā€ days. As one of the things I have missed, even as I successfully resisted while watching friends eat them time after time, it will be great to have chips and salsa againā€¦ HUZZAH!!

(PK) #30

Thanks for suggesting the baby corn! I tried this recipe and it was awesome! In other online keto recipes, I see so many of these types of ā€œchipsā€ made primarily with mozzarella cheese, and I put enough cheese in my dip already! haha! I donā€™t want to just be eating cheese topped with more cheese! I really missed the crispy CORN crunch, to compliment the avocado guac, and thanks to your idea, thatā€™s what I get now! Total game changer! I can make keto cornbread too! (And it actually tastes like cornbread!) Nice little addition of fiber - the baby corn.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #31

I love to cook a cheese heavy dish and top it with more cheese cause Iā€™m a cheese lovinā€™ fool! :rat::cheese::cheese::cheese::cheese::yum:

(Jill Carpenter aka space coast spinster) #32

Thereā€™s a brunch egg bake where the corn tortillas are soaked in egg overnight. May have a go at that next month!

Iā€™ve been neglecting my building. Usually I would make huge meals for everybody to share, but because Iā€™ve started the keto thing Iā€™ve had to pull back from everybody. But if I can make that brunch egg dish and it tastes half way decent Iā€™m sure theyā€™ll all be delighted.