Looking for other beginners to start keto journey

(Stacey White) #82

Hi Elz yes today is day 1.

Good luck to you!! I wonā€™t be any help to you but Iā€™m happy to chat about it! :wink:

I did just discover a podcast called ā€œThe Keto for Women Snowā€.

(Moriah ) #84

Hi, I started IF the middle of November, went to 36 hour fasts every other day after discovering Jason Fung (december1st) then worked on going keto after a stall from the beginning of January. Iā€™ve been keto for around 2-3 weeks. I have lost around 10-13 lbs total (not sure where I was exactly when I started). Its been slow going, but progress is being made. Welcome everyone !

(Everett) #85

I am about 4 months in. I started this lifestyle with several goals in mind: get off of BP medicine, get off of Statins, and lose to a comfortable and healthy weight. I have attained all 3 of those at the 90 day mark. I am hoping to lose some more weight over the next few months, but if not, Iā€™m happy currently. To put numbers to it, I started on Nov 8, 2017 at 267.3 pounds and was 226.4 on Feb 5, 2018. Basically lost 40 pounds in 90 days. All of this without fasting at all. I would love to get below 200, but if I stay in the 220ā€™s, I can deal with it. Like many others, I lived on bacon and eggs the first week until I found the likes of 2ketodudes and other repositories of information like Reddit. There is a wealth of information in the podcasts, which I am still catching up on (currently listening to Episode 53). My wife and children are also living the keto lifestyle after seeing how well I was eating and transforming in front of their eyes.

By the way, I am a 45 y/o male who used to kill for a fried shrimp poboy (shrimp wrapped in bread, wrapped in bread) just a few months ago. Now I just have a ribeye basted in grass-fed butter instead.

I truly believe everyone who gives this lifestyle a go will find that life can be so much better than being in the fridge looking for something else to eat! KCKO!

(Moriah ) #86

Are you Kidding ? 40 lbs ? I started at nearly the same time ? Iā€™m down 10-13. I do a happy dance at every oz loss. Menā€¦

(Ida) #87

Hi Frank,
I started Keto Jan 30. Iā€™ve lost 16 pounds. I just signed up to the Ketogenic forums. What helped me is a friend suggested I use the free carb counter on the Atkins website. I like the scan feature, so I log everything. I started by using keto test strips & bought a weiging scale. This way of life is giving me hope again. I donā€™t think of it as a diet, but more a way of life that makes me feel better. I just keep reading anything from the keto people who know what they are doing and I learn more every day. I like the support from the keto crowd. So I will share some back to you. Awesome, you can do it!

(Stacey White) #88

I am going to check that out, thanks for sharing!

Lol I am just realizing that I typed ā€œSnowā€. Instead of ā€œShowā€. But Iā€™m sure you figured it out! Oops!!

Hi All, am v interested in going keto. Loved reading this thread and going to give it a go. Need to loose weight but also want to find something that works for me as other ā€œlifestyle changesā€ havenā€™t worked. I know community support helps in other areas of my life so Iā€™m calling outā€¦

(Katherine Robinson) #91

Hello all. 2 weeks in for me and really enjoying reading everything here. Looking forward to the journey with you all.

(Moriah ) #92

Hey all! a shout out to Carl and Richard, Dr Fung and Megan (obesity code podcast).

I started the 2nd week of November with IF, eating 500 calories every other day (Dr Varady), then went to 36 hour fasting every other day (Dr Fung) then started Keto the end of January due to a plateau.
For those of you considering this, I have had hypoglycemia symptoms since I was in my 20ā€™s where I canā€™t drink juice (even protein powder smoothies send my flying and then shaking like a leaf, believe me, there is sugar in the protein powder).
I have tried all kinds of ways to loose weight and nothing, I mean nothing worked. A couple of pounds and then nothing. The last endocrinologist (I have asked for years what is wrong with me and I get all kinds of answers) told me that I wasnā€™t eating enough. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
The science behind the Dr. Fung and insulin was a huge breakthrough for me. My body puts out too much insulin when I eat carbs. Fasting for me is as important as keto is.
Keto is a lifestyle, my body temp has changed, I can tell when my body is burning fat because I get a little warmer (not cold anymore!) last night I said to myself ā€œI donā€™t feel like eatingā€ and I didnā€™t ! I leave food on my plate because Iā€™m fullā€¦ my complexion has changed, I think more clearly, and many more benefits.
I cannot say enough about how this has saved my life. my A1C was 5.7 and I was on my way to type 2 diabetes.

I have lost somewhere between 12 and 15 lbs. (from November) after weigh in today I know for sure, I am officially no longer going to see a 190 on the scale ever again!

This is not a diet, its a lifestyle. I have no doubt that I will never go back.

Hi all! 46 year old female started at 264 lbs (5ā€™7"). Started eating Keto on December 26, 2017 and down 31 lbs as of today! Exercising about twice per week and completed my first 24 hour fast yesterday with plans to incorporate 2-3 days of fasting each week. I love this forum and being a part of such an awesome and supportive community! :muscle:

(Susan) #94

Iā€™m new here and new to keto. Started Feb. 13th and as of last week lost 10 pounds, however, gained a pound this week. I only weigh once a week, and know this is normal, so trying not to be discouraged. One thing that caught my attention was being cold. As a big girl (5ā€™4", 189), Iā€™ve stayed hot for years, but since keto, Iā€™m very chilled when I get in bed at night. Have to pull up duvet to get warm (takes up to 10 minutes) then Iā€™m usually fine. I am tracking my macros to the tee, have stayed in ketosis and never slipped up! Iā€™m more interested in why Iā€™m chilled because itā€™s an anomaly for me. Ideas?

(Elizabeth Brignac) #95

Hello! Just started Monday. Iā€™m freezing all the time! But I have stuck to it. Nice to meet yā€™all!

(Stephanie Sablich) #96

This was a big issue for me as well before my body really started burning keytones for fuel. Try adding extra salt to your diet- this did it for me. I actually take salt tablets and drink an electrolyte mix and it helps a lot. Hang in there!

(Dawn Kruskie) #97

I wonder about this too

(Moriah ) #98

I was cold (freezing) at night until I was more fat adapted and now its much better. I do get a little cold if Iā€™m on a 36 hour fast and its bedtime (that would be at hour 25 or 26).

(Candy Lind) #99

That podcast is run by @Daisy, one of our moderators, who also admins a group on FaceBook. :grin:

(Candy Lind) #100

Eat more fat. I wager you are not ingesting enough calories and your body is shutting down what it considers non-essential functions to save energy. The extremities are always the first to suffer.

Eat a tablespoon or two of butter or coconut oil (or olive oil! Whatever!) when that happens. Lots of people prolong fasts by eating a little fat if their energy flags.

Eat more fat. I bet you have caved to the CICO lie and are watching calories instead of carbs and fat.

I did that, too. After I came to these forums, I decided to ā€œtrust the fatā€ and increased my caloric intake not once, but twice - both times I got a ā€œwhoosh!ā€ of weight loss. Let me ā€˜splain it to you, Lucy (uh-oh, Iā€™m showing my age againā€¦)ā€¦

Insulin. Itā€™s like The Berlin Wall and your fat cells are the East Berliners who want out. You have to eat enough calories in fat to get up there and knock a few bricks off the top of the wall so a few refugees can escape. Your insulin lowers on keto, and the longer you can keep it down, the more of your fat can escape. But you MUST keep your energy intake high enough to keep your metabolism up and knock some bricks off that wall.

Your body constantly adapts - it sees the Wall is lower and says, ā€œOK, weā€™ll just turn everything down so those refugees canā€™t get over even with the shorter wall.ā€ So you have to keep changing things up. Exactly the same calories every single day will not work. The idea is to let your body re-learn the signals it used to know to tell you when you need food. Eat very little carbs, enough protein to support your muscle, and then fat until you are pleasantly full (not stuffed like a Thanksgiving Turkey). Donā€™t eat when youā€™re not hungry. No snacking or grazing. Youā€™ll get the hang of it, and almost naturally youā€™ll start skipping meals (Intermittent Fasting). Eventually you might want to try Extended Fasting. All types of fasting drive down Blood Glucose and insulin, if that is one of your goals (& it should be).

OK, Iā€™ve overtaxed your brain enough for now. We have a saying here Iā€™m sure youā€™ve seen - KCKO - Keep Calm, Keto On! Follow that link; youā€™ll thank me later. :wink:

Seem to be stuck
Pounds are finally moving!
Wish I'd found y'all sooner
Stalling out?
(Candy Lind) #101

Youā€™re in the right place! :slight_smile: