Looking for other beginners to start keto journey

(Elizabeth Brignac) #95

Hello! Just started Monday. I’m freezing all the time! But I have stuck to it. Nice to meet y’all!

(Stephanie Sablich) #96

This was a big issue for me as well before my body really started burning keytones for fuel. Try adding extra salt to your diet- this did it for me. I actually take salt tablets and drink an electrolyte mix and it helps a lot. Hang in there!

(Dawn Kruskie) #97

I wonder about this too

(Moriah ) #98

I was cold (freezing) at night until I was more fat adapted and now its much better. I do get a little cold if I’m on a 36 hour fast and its bedtime (that would be at hour 25 or 26).

(Candy Lind) #99

That podcast is run by @Daisy, one of our moderators, who also admins a group on FaceBook. :grin:

(Candy Lind) #100

Eat more fat. I wager you are not ingesting enough calories and your body is shutting down what it considers non-essential functions to save energy. The extremities are always the first to suffer.

Eat a tablespoon or two of butter or coconut oil (or olive oil! Whatever!) when that happens. Lots of people prolong fasts by eating a little fat if their energy flags.

Eat more fat. I bet you have caved to the CICO lie and are watching calories instead of carbs and fat.

I did that, too. After I came to these forums, I decided to “trust the fat” and increased my caloric intake not once, but twice - both times I got a “whoosh!” of weight loss. Let me ‘splain it to you, Lucy (uh-oh, I’m showing my age again…)…

Insulin. It’s like The Berlin Wall and your fat cells are the East Berliners who want out. You have to eat enough calories in fat to get up there and knock a few bricks off the top of the wall so a few refugees can escape. Your insulin lowers on keto, and the longer you can keep it down, the more of your fat can escape. But you MUST keep your energy intake high enough to keep your metabolism up and knock some bricks off that wall.

Your body constantly adapts - it sees the Wall is lower and says, “OK, we’ll just turn everything down so those refugees can’t get over even with the shorter wall.” So you have to keep changing things up. Exactly the same calories every single day will not work. The idea is to let your body re-learn the signals it used to know to tell you when you need food. Eat very little carbs, enough protein to support your muscle, and then fat until you are pleasantly full (not stuffed like a Thanksgiving Turkey). Don’t eat when you’re not hungry. No snacking or grazing. You’ll get the hang of it, and almost naturally you’ll start skipping meals (Intermittent Fasting). Eventually you might want to try Extended Fasting. All types of fasting drive down Blood Glucose and insulin, if that is one of your goals (& it should be).

OK, I’ve overtaxed your brain enough for now. We have a saying here I’m sure you’ve seen - KCKO - Keep Calm, Keto On! Follow that link; you’ll thank me later. :wink:

Seem to be stuck
Pounds are finally moving!
Wish I'd found y'all sooner
Stalling out?
(Candy Lind) #101

You’re in the right place! :slight_smile:

This is actually a different podcast. Keto for Women Show is Shawn Mynar’s podcast. Mine is called Keto Woman. I can’t take credit for two :smiley:

I was wondering about that, the names don’t match! Lol but I’m glad to learn of your podcast @Daisy! I will look for it for sure!

(Candy Lind) #104

WHOOPS! Sorry. :blush: I haven’t been able to get into podcasts much - just specific episodes here & there - it would help if I were driving more!

(Steve) #105

Hey guys! New to the site and only started Keto a week ago. I’m a 49 year old male - 6’3". Should have weighed myself the day of, though did 3 days prior (310lbs). Down 13 pounds as of this morning.
Prior to starting keto, I was trying to minimize my carb intake (I also have fatty liver). The highest I’ve weighed was 321 back in August (which was a surprise to me - it was a doctor’s scale) - that’s when I realized my former scale wasn’t remotely accurate. :frowning:
Had a lot of Keto flu symptoms this week. Looking forward to things normalizing and getting more energized!!! :slight_smile:
My goal is to get back down to the weight I was in college - 220lbs (thereabouts). Provided my BFI is very low at that weight, I’ll just maintain.

I think getting enough potassium in your diet is a real challenge. Can’t seem to get anywhere close to 4700mg. Concerned that could be the cause of some of these symptoms, as I am drinking a LOT of water (yesterday was 5.5 litres).

If anyone has any great ideas on getting the potassium up without killing my carb count?

Daily regular goals:

1812 Calories
20g Carbs
161g Fats
68g Protein
2300mg Sodium
4700mg Potassium

Edit: Oh, and now up to 25 recipes in the Keto section of my Paprika app. :slight_smile: (yes, I love to cook and I’m a foodie)
Not looking forward to the big family dinner at Easter in a few weeks. :frowning:

It’s the thought that counts! :wink:
I love podcasts. Not into music much so podcasts are my go to when running or cleaning!

@steve…hi! I really have no business offering tips as I’m only on day 12 myself—but I did learn that Morton’s lite salt has potassium in it…350mg in 1/4 tsp. (Also 290mg sodium in there)

Honestly I can’t remember if I read about it on this forum or hear about it somewhere else but I have definitely been using it! Avacodos are also a food source of potassium.

Good luck!!

(Steve) #108

Yep, I know about avocados, but they’re also high in carb count (one of the meals I make - usually lunch - is guacamole with celery sticks for dipping). Well, I shouldn’t say high 4g net carbs isn’t that bad. :wink:

Thanks for the tip on Morton’s - not entirely sure if we can get it up here, but I’ll certainly take a look!! :slight_smile:

One of the frustrating things is that so many foods don’t put their Potassium numbers on their nutrition label - and most of the information on the internet is conflicting. :frowning:

I’m 5 days in - started Tuesday 6 March after reading this format all Monday evening. Bought some bits I needed - have never done this and have never bought the kind of foods I need to eat. Felt quite guilty loading my basket with full fat everything! But feel fantastic. I’ve slept soundly 4 nights in a row and woken up without feeling hungry every morning both of which haven’t happened…for years! Haven’t had any Keto flu type stuff yet but am committed to going through whatever comes because I feel so good.

(Prasad Mokkapati) #110

I was in good shape was a powerlifter and suddenly ended up with Grand Mal Seizures. Was in a coma for 3 months, had all kinds of drugs and nothing worked. Had 2 or 3 seizures every day. So I figured I will try out keto diet. It’s been 3 days. I used to have protein shakes before my workouts which have no carbs. I started Keto diet past few days. I have 3 eggs in the morning, protein shake in the afternoon and some nuts -almonds/cashews/walnuts in between. At least for me the protein shake in the afternoon helps with my hunger. My seizures have gone down dramatically. So have to wait and see if the Keto diet helped or just as time passed by.

(Mandy ) #111

Day 14 on keto… Still getting some headaches and brain fog, some cravings but I stay strong and get through them, still some diahrea and on occasion stomach irritability. Down 3kg and got quite a bit of energy. So far so good :blush:

(Katherine Robinson) #112

Hey Steve. I am starting my 4th week. I had this concern too. I found a electrolyte supplement on Amazon. Ultima replenished. It has no carbs, and when feeling like I am dragging it defiantly helps. Lots of potassium and magnesium.

Hello. I’ve just started 3/27/18 – and I have lost 7 lbs. My major reason for starting Keto is not to lose weight but to finally shed the subcutaneous fat! My BMI is normal, but I have about 40% body fat. Does anyone have any stories to tell about their experiences with this?

Id would love to join this group! I started keto 4 weeks ago and am transitioning well so far.

A bit about me, I am doing keto for a number of reasons, primarily to prevent a cancer recurrence. Today is exactly 7 years since I was diagnosed. I had to suffer the range of treatment, cut, burned and poisoned, but thankfully I am still alive today - so conventional medicine does have its place. But those words “you have cancer” are ones that no one ever wants to hear!

I am a 53 year old woman, pre-diabetic from the age of 5, high BP, dawn phenomenon, achy joints (which I attribute to long lasting affects from chemo).

After being on keto for 4 weeks, I cannot believe the clarity in my brain. Now I realize I lived my entire life in a brain fog. I didn’t really eat a lot of simple sugar because of how it made me feel - almost inebriated if I ate too much sugar such as a brownie. If I ate French fries and a burger I would need an afternoon nap. In fact remembering back I always bonked in the afternoons. So I learned I to eat mostly complex carbs but even those are too much for my body to handle.

My husband cannot believe my transition to date - and its only 4 weeks. He cannot believe my energy levels, the fact I require less sleep, the fact I now rise upon awaking and I’m not groggy. Its remarkable. For my body carbs = poison.

I do have a question - just how much sodium do I need daily? And potassium? And magnesium? I fear I may not be getting enough but I am afraid to take sodium as I have high blood pressure. Right now my readings are all over the place and not consistent, so I want to be careful but I don’t want to deprive my body of electrolytes either.