Looking for other beginners to start keto journey

(Frank) #21

Yeah I feel the same, felling like I have alot more energy. Only thing is now I’m feeling like I’m having trouble sleeping at night, like I’m restless :confused:

(Frank) #22

Wow that’s alot of fasting, il have I look into that more. Also I’m going to have to learn about podcasts, never checked them out yet sounds interesting.

I have sooooo much more energy too, and I’m getting so much more done around the house. Love it!

About sleep - a few nights I have woken up at 3 or 4 am, or even several times, but other than that, I’m sleeping fine, just getting by on much less sleep than earlier, which apparently is normal. No matter what time I go to sleep, I wake up at 6-7 am. Also great!

(Linda M Au) #24

I’m new as of January 7. Down somewhere between 12-15 pounds (scale fluctuates a bit). Best part is that I’m T2D and my morning fasting numbers have gone from around 160 to a steady 115-ish in the past four weeks. I’m currently trying to tighten up my eating window to just eight hours to keep the weight loss happening.

So far, though, I’m not logging food much. Just being severe about carb intake (I had some experience with that due to the T2D) and logging blood sugar, weight, and also BP.

(Rachel) #25

Try magnesium. Could be your electrolytes? Do you use salt? Hope you’re sleeping better soon. :slight_smile:

(Jill Lothian) #26

Welcome, I have been doing Keto since 8th Jan! and loving it. Weight has come down feeling really good. I have been fasting mainly 1 meal a day but I am going to try and go another day without see how I get on.

(Brandi ) #27

Yeah, I had that same issue the first week. Going to bed fine now.

(Frank) #28

Ok if I continue have problems il try magnesium for sure. And as for doninise salt, do you mean like adding it to my foods?

(Frank) #29

Thank you, do you still hit all of your macro’s just eating one meal a day?

(Frank) #30

Hope the same happens for me.

(Clare) #31

Hi Frank! Welcome to keto!

I’m 35, I’ve been on keto for two months now. Last time I checked I was down 33 lbs. I broke up with the scale for February, so I’m not sure where I’m at right now. I went down a notch on my belt last week, so I definitely lost something.

I’m pretty new here, but this forum is a great resource for information and support on your keto journey.

(Travis Lovering) #32

Hi Frank I am 33 years old getting started today, mostly just doing some research on this great forum because I would like to try eating a keto diet, but I have 2 young boys and a wife that I cook for who may not be interested in my diet change so I have found some great tips here on ways to make this a lifestyle and not a “diet” which is the only way I will make it happen.

@Travis_Lovering, welcome! Cooking for family is a concern, but don’t let it stand in the way of your wellbeing. :slight_smile: The one thing to keep in mind is that a high fat, high carbohydrate diet is like the worst diet ever, so if your family eats very high carb, then don’t serve them lots of your high fat stuff as well. But other than that, I think that there’s quite a bit of the prep and the cooking that can be combined - of course it will take some effort, especially in the beginning, but there’s lots of dishes where your family will never miss the carbs, and there are some where you could prepare the meat and the fish and then have a side of carbs for the family and salad and a fat source for yourself.

(Rubens Almeida) #34

Same here! And when I noticed I was down a few pounds (or kilos as we say over here) I could help but be amazed. One thing I recommend is water, lots of it, or as much as you’re comfortable with.

(Shane E) #35

I’m new to this too, Frank. Just started on 2/5/18. So far, so good, but damn do those carbs look good all the damn time. A bit of a carb withdrawal symptom… :slight_smile:

(Justin Cain Hoffman ) #36

Hey Frank… week 2.5 here. The struggle is real brother.

(Justin Cain Hoffman ) #37

All bread makes me insane! Especially the bakery when I’m trying to shop keto-ish!

(Travis Lovering) #38

I avoid refined carbs and sugar like the plague and do my best with the kids too. I have heard that about sugar and fat combo being terrible for you. I am the research type lol. I have been listening to podcasts and reading for months just bow feeling like I have enough of an understanding of the requirements to get this right the first time. I am currently experimenting with short 15 or so hour fasting. I really appreciate the info and recommendations they are much appreciated

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #39

Hi Frank.

I’m not new to carb reduction to the ketogenic levels. But this is a new go with a new mindset. 45 yo next week, male, Chicago. Started 1/3/18, was down 10.5 on 2/1/18. Weighing one a month. When I start in the gym (march maybe, I will be measuring bodyfat as well, but also one a month maybe).

I’ve been keto since mid November, so consider myself a newbie. The one thing that happened to me since keto is that my sleeping rhythm has completely reversed. I was always a night owl, and now I struggle to last past midnight and then at 8 I’m up. I even once slept at five recently staying up with my sick daughter then at 8 I was up again, and continued the day as if I got eight hours of sleep.

My problem is that I haven’t lost any weight…or inches. Also the hunger issue still plagues me. I am keeping my carbs under 20 grams and have cut nuts and cheese (the usual culprits I heard cited in weight loss stalls) but still no go. If I don’t count calories and eat fat to satiety, I add weight. I started at 144 (5’4" and have added around 15 pounds in the last couple of years) and I’m still there. My goal is 130-135 pounds, the weight where I’m most comfortable, and I hope others are in my same situation so we can encourage each other.