Hello Everyone. I have just begun a study on the Keto Diet and will be logging my progress here.
The primary purpose of this research is to characterize the keto-adapted state in a group of healthy volunteers with an emphasis on health, metabolic, performance, and military relevant outcomes. This will be a 12 week feeding and training study with pre- and post-testing battery.
MRI Fat Quantification
Cognitive, Anaerobic, &
Military Relevant Performance
The study will test both Exercise and Cognitive change
Coaching and guidance to be provided by Registered Dietitians
Self Report Food Record
Daily Blood Ketone Monitoring
The Objectives are:
- Determine metabolic and physiologic adaptations in energy metabolism, oxidative stress, inflammation and endocrine function at rest and during exercise.
- Assess changes in several aspects of physical performance including aerobic capacity, anaerobic power, strength, force production, body composition and military-specific fitness testing.
- Assess cognitive functioning (reaction time, decision making and higher order thinking) at rest and in response to sleep deprivation and physical exertion.
Highlights of the 12 week keto study
- Muscle Biopsy 2x pre and post
- Blood Draws associated with test session 3 - 2x pre and post
- MRI Screening – must be MRI safe candidate
- 3 month commitment – 30hrs training + 16hrs testing
- Consume only minimal alcohol
- Glucose and/or Ketone Monitoring Daily
I have completed my baseline tests and will be posting my progress here with the intent of sharing my journey and getting your advise as I go. Wish me luck.