My First Fast

(KB Keto) #1

So. Tomorrow is the 1st day of Week 6 in Keto and I’m thinking a 24 hour fast is in order.

I haven’t decided if I’ll have butter/ CO coffee or not but no food until dinner.

I’m not fat adapted I dont think… I still get days where I’m super hungry. The coffee tomorrow is reserved for if I get really hungry.

Any advice? Electrolytes,etc during the fast?

(Erin Macfarland ) #2

Lots of people use some bone broth with extra salt, or even warm water with salt. Don’t push yourself though ! If you get really hungry, eat :grin:

Just drink water, don’t have any other substance such as coffee, don’t even any supplements, as doing these things is cheated. Bone broth also contains vast amounts of glutamate protein, so drinking that isn’t fasting either. You don’t have to worry about electrolyte either. Vitamins and minerals circle around your blood and can be used.

When you fast, you break down stored fat as energy and anything else that doesn’t belong in the body, you are taken nutrients from yourself. Mineral defieiciencys are rare when fasting, it happens about once in every 3000 people. You can even do extended fasts with no risk of mineral deficiency

(Andrew Anderson) #4

Feeling hungry will not feel exponentially worse as 24 hours go by. Think Pavlov and puppies! It is a response to external stimuli. If you feel hungry examine your surroundings and look for the triggers. Drink a big glass of water. Feel free to add salt to water. Sipping green tea with salt is amazing. My most successful 24+ fasts have started around noon. For me a hefty lunch bleeds into the next day quickly!

(Arlene) #5

I guess I must be the one in 3000, because every time I fast over 24 hours I get severe muscle cramping. Salt helps a little, but can’t seem to consume enough salt to make them go away completely. After the fast, I will go several days with continued cramps till my body rights itself. For sure I couldn’t fast without salt.

(Joseph) #6

I know plenty of folk who fast and drink water or coffee. Replacing electrolytes is essential when fasting. Salt directly to the tongue works the best or check out the recipe for Keto Aide

(carl) #7

My advice, based on recent advice from Megan Ramos, and my empirical n=1 evidence, is to put 1/4 tsp of sea salt on your tongue every 2 or 3 hours and drink lots of water. When I fast I also drink black coffee in the AM. It works for me.

Are you sure you aren’t low in Magnesium or Potassium? Sodium outbalances potassium, so the salt could be making it worse. And no salt is not essential when fasting, many people do extended fasts without the need to give themselves salt.

(Jennifer) #9

Just don’t get discouraged if it doesn’t go as well as you planned. 24 hours is hard - I find the first 24 hours the worst. Days 2-5 are much easier than the first.

Good luck! It does get easier the more you fast!

this is a good read: Myth 2 answers your question
http://www.cosozo.com/article/10-common-myths-about-fasting

(Jim) #11

Ive only done two 24 hr fasts, and I’m finding I’m low in mag after the fast, giving me restless leg at night, but I’ll take a magnesium supplement and within a hour I’m better

(KB Keto) #12

When I do eat dinner tonight - any recommendations to the macros? Typically, any meal with over 30-40g of protein can throw off my ketosis numbers.

(KB Keto) #13

I want food!

(Doug) #14

Hey KB. :slight_smile: I’ve gotten hungry when fasting, but it’s not a constant deal - if I do stuff and think about other things, hours will go by when I’m not bothered by hunger. Most people really do get used to fasting, and it gets easier for them.

(KB Keto) #15

Thanks @OldDoug - Yea, I’ve been good after I got over that initial hunger. Little water and salt goes a long way.

(betsy.rome) #16

I got this tip from @Brenda - take calcium citrate for leg cramps. Did it for me! Also I drink a shot of pickle juice before bed, since my worst cramps happen in the night or before getting up in the morning. NOT a good way to wake up!

(Arlene) #17

Thank you. I got that tip from Brenda too, and started taking calcium citrate about a week ago. Will see how that works.

(Claire Shackleton) #18

You could soak your feet in Epsom salts to get the magnesium

(Jim) #19

I’ve been thinking about that, sounds great

(KB Keto) #20

A few of these on the tongue throughout the day really helped. AND this Black Sea Salt was sooo good!

and Here are my morning fasted numbers after breaking the fast the night before with some wings!

and my daily log