Kicked out?

(MJ) #1

Hi everyone,

I’m new here :slight_smile: I’ve been doing keto since April 17th and I’ve been doing really well. Among several other benefits, it’s helped me cut down down on my binges significantly, something not even medical treatments have been able to do. (Binges only, I have never purged).

I’ve also experimented with IF and extended as well. I’ve done a couple 3 day fasts and I’ve found I do really well with it.

Yesterday I had one of the worst binges I’ve had in months, and when I checked my blood ketones this morning, I was kicked out of ketosis at 0.9 (blood glucose was 4.8 which is pretty high for me). I am absolutely devastated, and I’d like to get back into ketosis and more importantly into a fat-adapted state as soon as possible. What is the best way to do this? Extended fast? Will I have to go through the keto flu again? Is it going to take months to get fat adaption again?

Thank you for your time.

(Siobhan) #2

I prescribe a week of bacon and eggs and a pat on the back for getting right back on the horse

As for keto flu, it depends on the person. Keep up with your salts and water and you might not have an issue

(KB Keto) #3

so technically, you are not kicked out of ketosis. Technically, Ketosis ranges from 0.5 to 3.0 mM.

I’m curios to if the longer fasts so early in your keto journey lead to binges. I started my diet 1 day prior (check out my log if you want KB's KETO Diet Study)

Early on just focus on eating enough fat, keeping your carbs under 20g net and protein around 90-100g (depending on your stats of course). Siobhan is right. Keto flu will get everyone (general claim) but severity varies. I found that if I started feeling it, some salt and potassium stat and it clears up very quickly. I weight train 2-3 times a week, bike 30+ miles once a week, and bike shorter speed training another day. and early on, i underestimated how much extra electrolytes I would need. There’s some keto-aid recipes in this forum. I found when biking some Mio Electrolytes at about half strength does the trick. An avocado before the 30+ miles is a must.

good luck!

(Dany Bolduc) #4

These readings (0.9 blood ketone and 4.8 blood glucose) would indicate that you are most likely still in ketosis.
Was you binge mostly on keto food ?

Although binge eating is problematic on multiple levels, if we’re strictly talking about your state of ketosis, you may not have been kicked out… maybe just kicked down somewhat, not sure where you started from before that binge.

But you know, just get back on the horse. Ake it super clean keto for a few days and you will probably be back.

I have no experience with binge eating personally but my gut feeling would be to suggest staying away from fasting for a good long while as it may have an insidious way of affecting your desire to binge.
I would go on a multiple months long quest for clean keto lifestyle eating regular meals with fat to satiety. And eating whenever you are starting to feel hunger.
Pushing hunger may lead to a binge when you finally give in.

(KB Keto) #5

I second this. If weight loss is your concern - dont worry. Get yourself fat adapted and then the weight loss will come and the binges will decrease. and Once fat adapted, the fasts will have so much more benefit than they do on your 3rd week.

(MJ) #6

Thanks so much everyone.

The fasting was not for weight loss rather to speed up fat adaption. I don’t think it caused my binge…I had an emotional trigger this weekend.

My BK levels are normally too high, in the fives usually. I was at 2.6 Sunday morning after over eating at a social event, and 0.9 this morning after my binge.

(Anti-Gravity Gains) #7

Avocados and Almond butter at the 2 hour mark on a 5+ hour trail run was GOLD for me. Keto adapted training has been great for me. The first few weeks, I had to take the weight training and running down a few notches in intensity, but after that - the dividends are EXCELLENT. AND, the recovery is much better. Phinney & Volek are right!