Chicken Piccata

chicken
piccata

You are not going to believe how flavourful this dish is, considering that the main star is the boring chicken breast. The Italian word “piccata” means “larded”, which is exactly what the low fat chicken breast needs to boost its taste. This recipe also works with turkey breast, as well as beef and veal cutlets.

First step is pounding out the chicken breast to twice its width and length. The picture below shows the before and after

Place the flattened breasts in a dish, in order to prepare them for a marinade. You will need a half lemon, as well as salt and pepper

Salt and pepper every side, and then add freshly squeezed lemon juice. Move the breasts around so they are evenly coated with the marinade

Add 2 or 3 tablespoons lard in a pan, and get it to smoking hot temperature

Add the marinaded breasts to pan

Flip the breasts after 3 minutes frying, and fry the other side for 3 minutes

Place the cooked breasts in a dish

Tent them under aluminum foil

To make the sauce, go fetch a jar of capers and another half lemon

Squeeze the juice of the half lemon into the pan, and add 1 heaping teaspoon of capers as well as a teaspoon or two of caper pickle juice. Using spatula scrape the pan to deglaze, melting all the brown bits into the sauce

Plating

Close up. Don’t be shy with adding pan sauce, since the chicken breast will absorb it very quickly, providing it incredible taste

The perfect bite: a piece of chicken, with caramelized coating, and soaked in lemony pan sauce and capers

How to make this more keto-friendly and still taste good?
Which meat has the most fat.? how to eat more fat than protein
Boring chicken breasts! - help!
32 day ZC Variable Protein Test
What did you Keto today?
Need suggestions--Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts
(bulkbiker) #2

Did you have all the recipes planned beforehand or do you just have what you fancy using your chosen ingredients?
This will be such a great resource for my future ref. Thanks…

No planning at all. The decision of what to make depends on what I have on hand and what I want to eat. Glad this info helps. I take the time to photo the steps to pass on this info to fellow ketonians thinking maybe it can be of some use :slight_smile:

(bulkbiker) #4

It will be more than of some use… it’s brilliant and I’d like to thank you for it.

Love the photos of the process. This doesn’t look too hard-will be trying. Thank you!!!

Yeah, that is exactly why I take pictures - thank you for pointing that out. I want to demonstrate how easy these delicious keto recipes are, and make someone think “hey…that looks easy! I can do that!”

Can you do this with dark meat somehow?

You can do this with boneless thighs and legs, too. Pound them and get them flattened and all at same thickness so that they fry same time duration.

This recipes also works very well with tough beef steaks (you need to pound to tenderize) as well as veal and pork cuts, too. It’s a pretty adaptable recipe.

The problem I have is that I buy full chickens (cheaper) and dismember them myself. So, I’m left with low fat chicken breasts. To me, this is one of the best ways to deal with low fat, almost tasteless, white meat from poultry.

(bulkbiker) #9

spooky… just had thighs cooked this way for dinner! what a great recipe many thanks.

(Megan) #10

I love chicken piccata and make it all the time. Last time, I coated the chicken with crushed pork rinds and parmesan cheese then cooked them in the oven. Turned out really good! The family liked it too. I usually make a sauce out of butter, lemon juice and either white wine or chicken broth. I also like to add quartered artichoke hearts. So yummy!

(Arlene) #11

Yikes Fiorella, You never fail to get my creative cooking juices flowing. Your instructions and fantastic pictures make the recipe so easy. Chicken breast is usually my last choice for eating, but I’m going to have to try this. By the way, what’s a caper?

(Patrick B.) #12

A very tasty flower bud from the caper bush… found all over the Med. Usually pickled. You’ll find them with the olives.

(Megan) #13

Capers are so delicious! I add them to tuna and chicken salad for extra saltiness and flavor.

(Jacquie) #14

Me, too. I also add them to egg salad. :slight_smile:

@Jacquie and @ILoveBacon, ever tried capers with smoked salmon. OMG…so good. On a plate, lay out slices of smoked salmon, sprinkle finely diced shallots and then sprinkle with capers and a bit of their vinegar juice. Squeeze a bit of fresh lemon. Boom! Heaven!

(Jacquie) #16

@Fiorella OMG, of course! :slight_smile: I love smoked salmon with a soft goat cheese and a few caperberries, too.

(Megan) #17

You all are going to think I’m crazy, but I dont like smoked salmon. I dont like the slimy texture with the smoke flavor, sorry. I also can’t eat eggs (tragedy, I know, I miss them so much) or else I would put capers in egg salad. That sounds awesome.

Hahahaha…no worries on not liking smoked salmon…anyone with “ILoveBacon” as their forum handle gets my total respect! :grinning:

(Candy Lind) #19

I’m glad I saw a link to this. I love :two_hearts: capers! This recipe is simple and elegant.

Veal piccata is heavenly