Which meat has the most fat.? how to eat more fat than protein

(Eiva) #1

hi…
i been vegetarian most my life and last week started eating tuna and chicken… yesterday i have ordered take away with beef and it was delicious… I did had a bit stomach pain but i think its normal since I am not use to these foods… So today I am going to shop to buy some fat meat for the first time… I have no idea how to cook it… I just will throw it in pan and cower it with lots of healthy oils and coconut fats… How do I make sure I dont eat more protein than fat? thank you!

(Fran) #2

Bacon. Bacon is the gateway meat, apparently. Everyone I know who switched from vegetarian to meatatarian started with bacon. Plus it’s wonderfully fatty and goes with everything.

(Mike Glasbrener) #3

I don’t know what your budget is… bacon is one meat. It seems pork based meats tend to have more and are cheap since they’re harder to cook and are fatty thus less popular. A sous vide makes cooking tough fatty meats soooo much easier although not required. Fish at the bottom of the food chain are good also. They’re low in mercury and every thing else about them are good, fat, nutrients etc… Anchovies, sardines, mussels, etc… Avocados are also an excellent source of nutrients and good fats while having pretty low net carbs.

A good start is to experiment with learning how to cook bacon, and making meatballs. From there, you can go on to cuts of meat. Here’s a recipe for meatballs you make wish to try:

If you venture off into cooking various cuts of meat…I provide some very detailed recipes (step by step with photos, showing how to prepare various cuts of protein). Maybe this will help?

(Michael Wallace Ellwood) #5

I don’t know what country you are in, so things may be different where you are.

I’m in the UK, and one of my favourite not-too-expensive fatty meats would be shoulder (or half-shoulder) of lamb. Cooked in an oven slowly, and for me, rare to medium rare (although you may need close up advice about when it’s properly cooked if you are not used to meat).

Leg of lamb is also good, but that would be more expensive, and you’d probably need someone to share it with (although lamb also works well cold, so you could eat it over a few days).

(And of course you can make bone broth with the shoulder or leg bones).

Lamb chops are also good, but they tend to be expensive here.

If you can get it, something like scrag end (lovely name) is good. Might need long slow cooking.

Even cheaper and probably more fatty would be belly pork. See if you like it. I like it, but I like lamb and beef better.

An expensive choice would be rib-eye (beef) steak. Nice for an occasional treat, unless money is no object. :slight_smile: