Xylitol, Allulose, and insulin

sweeteners
insulin

(Sarah C) #1

I heard on the podcast that xylitol has the smallest effect on insulin of the alternative sweeteners. I’d love to see some studies and hear about n=1 experiments on that!

I love the taste of Lankato golden, but I have noticed when I use it, my sweets cravings definitely go up. Xylitol, not as much. When I eat insulinogenic foods, my appetite raises a lot so I suspect that’s good clue for me.

What about allulose? How does it affect blood sugar?

I know Dr Fung says no sweeteners, but my health is good, my weight is good, and my sweet cravings have decreased dramatically over the past year, and I find this WOE much more sustainable if I can sprinkle sweetener on some strawberries and cream, etc. I’ve been low carb for a year and a half, and it works just fine for me to keep sweeteners in the mix. Especially because I like baking stuff for my kids :slight_smile:

Thanks so much everyone, I’m new to the forum and having a little hard time figuring out how to search old threads to get my answers.

Studies showing Sweeteners that Raise Insulin Levels?
(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #2

Although not mentioned, sweetener is just another ‘newbie’ concern that goes away. Someday you will look back on this little dilemma and get a good laugh out of it. Welcome and best wishes. :relaxed:

(Full Metal KETO AF) #3

I guess from reading here I have learned that we all react differently to sugar substitutes. I have experienced no problems using sugar alcohols. I don’t like stevia or monk fruit.

I don’t use them generally to bake keto treats or sweeten drinks. I was a professional cook most of my life and use them in stuff like stir fry, tomato sauces and such to balance salty flavors and acidity or to achieve complex classic flavors. A cake on a special occasion like Christmas.

There’s no shame in using some occasionally but I would recommend against high daily amounts to keep your sweet tooth alive. Your tastes will change if you let sweet alone for a while, and the adaption to keto eating will become natural and easier without chasing an old demon. I waited a couple months before I tried any treats, nuts or berries. I found they had lost much of their appeal but that I could enjoy them as an occasional treat without having any binging impulses. Best luck to you.

Erythritol and allulose are probably the best sugar alcohols in my opinion. Allulose is more like sugar in behavior for syrup and browning and caramelization, but it’s more expensive…about $9 lb. on Amazon.

Erythritol tastes about the same as allulose but doesn’t dissolve in ratios with water greater than 1:2 parts water, and it doesn’t melt, brown or caramelize. It’s good for most purposes where you don’t need the special properties of allulose and much less $. :cowboy_hat_face:

There’s some anecdotal topics about allulose here and here. I haven’t looked into anything scientific on it myself yet.

No worries. Most of the search results came back in the recipe section, so some people are using it.

(Sarah C) #5

Thank you, Carol T! I appreciate the links!

I’m looking into some studies, but they’re going to take a while to “digest” . :wink:

Preliminary thoughts are that it’s mostly not absorbed, is more beneficial than harmful to the microbiome, and may be even more beneficial for those still eating a carb diet by altering fat metabolism in a good way.

I've got a question about sweeteners
(Edith) #7

You may enjoy watching Keto Connect’s sweetener testing.

(Ethan) #8

Xylitol has up to a near-sugar response in some for both insulin and glucose! Generally, erythritol, allulose, aspartame, and sucrose have the least impact on glucose and insulin.

There’s some more good info and study links about allulose here: