Watch this video on artificial sweeteners

(Cristian Lopez) #2

Yeah, I stick too monk fruit, stevia, erythritol and sucralose/ace-k when I drink powerade zeros or ice beverages.

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #3

And I’m sure you will be fine :slight_smile:

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #4

So I just ordered this too… Saw it for cheaper, but I love the glass, cobalt blue 4oz bottle, and dropper, which will be great for my home made vanilla extract later on :wink:

Now I will be able to test both pure sucralose, and Splenda to compare results.

Oh and another big benefit is the cost… Splenda packets (well I use the much cheaper Great Value brand) are about 2 cents per packet (per serving) whereas, liquid sucralose is about .6 cents per serving… or, 1/3 the cost :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

I watched this video along with some others where people were testing reactions a while back. It definitely demonstrates the n=1, seeing one person have no to little reaction when someone else has a large reaction to the same sweetener. I think besides being allergic to Erythritol, for me, it caused a spike, because I wanted more of whatever I put it in (beyond satiety). I do not have this happen with Stevia or Monkfruit…thus far :upside_down_face:

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #6

Well I’m going to confirm very shortly here, which sweeteners are okay for me, but after watching this vid, endorsed by Dr. Ken Berry I should add, that I feel very confident that Aspartame, and Splenda will not cause me any insulin spikes. Not so confident about Acesulfame potassium though, since they didn’t test for it. But I will.

Going to Wal Mart this evening to pick up my blood glucose test kit.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #7

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #8

Thank you Paul. I’m getting a little lost though… If you could just kind of condense your results… For a dummy. Heck, I’m not even sure if I’m looking for higher or lower numbers ?

And BTW, I did get my blood glucose meter… Drenched that thing in blood, and it said, need more blood ! Like wtf ?

Going to have to get our friend / neighbor down the street show me how to use this darn thing. She has diabetes, so she uses one every day…

How are you going to test insulin with a blood glucose meter?

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #10

My bad. I guess I’d be testing blood glucose levels, but apparently these are connected enough to be a good indicator ? Plz school me here if I need it…
In the vid I posted, they acted like blood glucose was even more important than ketones… Or that ketones were pretty much a given, and didn’t do anything unexpected…

Any time blood glucose is up Insulin will be up UNLESS you have been insulin resistant so long that your pancreas cannot keep up with demand which would make you medically diabetic. That’s why it’s always good to test insulin to see just how much insulin it’s taking to keep your glucose levels down. You could have low glucose but very high insulin which can by itself cause coronary artery disease.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #12

These were experiments Alec did last year, to see which of the sweeteners, if any, had an effect on his insulin. I hope I posted the right links. My intention was to illustrate the method of inferring the pattern of insulin secretion from the behavior of the glucose levels.

ETA: I really wish someone would come up with a home insulin meter.

Insulin, Free and Total test is $99.00

Immunoreactive Insulin test is $49.00

https://requestatest.com/insulin-testing

(Robert C) #14

Becoming too focused on the insulin and glucose reactions to artificial sweeteners misses an important point:

(PJ) #15

I posted a comment on the video. Bugs and ants won’t touch even fresh cut up fruit if it has sucralose on it. When I saw this I stopped eating the stuff. I do sometimes have it “in” something (sometimes it’s in a drink or protein powder) but I don’t use it for kitchen stuff anymore. Powdered Swerve and MonkSweet+ (erythritol is their base, with stevia for the first and monkfruit for the latter) work fabulously in everything I make, or even plain.

And then there’s the gut-effect @RobC posted about…

(mole person) #16

In healthy humans measuring glucose to infer insulin is pretty pointless. The entire point of insulin secretions is to bring your body’s blood glucose level down. If you’re a metabolically healthy person your insulin can be all over the map and your glucose will be fairly stable. There are plenty of posts all over this forum of people wondering why their glucose went down after they ate something even though they know their insulin had to have gone up.

In addition however the mode of action of non nutritive sweetners is not only mediated through insulin. The scientific literature on the subject has them increasing adipogenesis (rate of fat creation), decreasing lipolosis (rate of fat breakdown) and increasing the rate of cellular glucose uptake. None of that via changes in insulin or blood glucose.

Sugar doesn’t ONLY affect our hormones via it’s effect on glucose and insulin. Our digestive tract from mouth to gut is filled with taste receptors. Non nutritive sweetners bind to them because they are sweet and then influence our hormones in multiple ways that impact our fat balance.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #17

Since there is no home test for insulin levels, the pattern of insulin secretion has to be inferred from a series of tests for serum glucose behavior for several hours after ingesting the tested item. The idea is that if glucose drops markedly from baseline, the most likely cause would be a spike in insulin. A rise in glucose is not to be expected from any non-nutritive sweetener marketed in the U.S., since the FDA requires experimental data showing that the sweetener does not affect glucose levels.

I believe that this is the study referred to in @RobC’s post above:

(mole person) #18

Yes. Exactly. Which is precisely why looking for a rise in blood glucose a half hour after consuming a quantity of non nutritive sweetners as they did in the ‘experiment’ above tells them literally nothing.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #19

I must have missed a post about a rise in glucose, sorry. I was talking about looking for a dip in glucose, as a possbile indicator of a rise in insulin. Sorry for the confusion.

(mole person) #20

I understand your post. I was pointing out that the experiment in the video in the OP where they are looking for glucose spikes with various sweeteners in order to infer an effect on insulin makes no sense given the FDA requirements that you referenced.

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #21

Ilana, Okay I’m an admitted dummy with this stuff, but why did Dr. Ken Berry reply to their vid and say it was the best video on the subject… If the video had no importance ???