Live experiment part 3

(Alec) #1

Ok, here we go again. This time I am testing xylitol. More about that later…

But for now, I tested my baseline BG level, and got my normal base reading of 5.0. By the way, I am being surprised at the stability of that base level. At the moment, I always seem to be getting a 5.0 when I am far away from a meal.

Anyway, this time I then ingested 6g of xylitol. 6g only because that is the amount of erythritol I took last time, so it should be comparable.

I’ll be back at T+30 to test again and see what happens with xylitol.

Studies showing Sweeteners that Raise Insulin Levels?
Blood Glucose Monitoring for Dummies
Monitoring ketones with Abbott Precision Xtra blood monitor
Watch this video on artificial sweeteners
(Alec) #2

T+30… BG up to 5.2, but I think this is within the bounds of normal variation, meaning that this change is not significant… let’s see what happens next.

A bit about xylitol: I buy this stuff in bulk, and it has been my go to sweetener for a couple of years. Never had any problems with it, but no idea if it spikes my insulin. Xylitol is a sugar alcohol, and my research suggests that it has a low GI, which is why I was using it. My focus used to be on BG levels, but now it is much more about what triggers insulin.

See you in 30.

(Ron) #3

Following this one. I use a blend of E and X so watched part 2 as well but you use a blend in that one so not quite the same.:slightly_smiling_face:

(Alec) #4

Ron
To be honest I am a bit confused by that stuff I was using in part2. It said it was a blend of erythritol and stevia, but on the packet it said it was 99.5% erythritol. Does this make sense to you? Would you expect that type of mix? Seems odd to me.

(Alec) #5

T+60, which is the stage when something happens in previous tests.

Well, well, this is different, I am not sure what to make of this. This suggests that xylitol spikes BG up, but I am unsure what it means for insulin. Anybody got some ideas on interpretation here? I am a bit stumped! I will have to think about this.

(Ron) #6

Stevia is a natural sugar substitute extracted from the leaves of the Stevia rebaudiana plant. This plant is a low-growing bush naturally grown and cultivated in South America and in Asia. The active chemical compounds of stevia are steviol glycosides that comprise primarily stevioside and rebaudioside. These chemical compounds have up to 150 times the sweetness taste compared to sugar. In addition, they are stable over a wide range of temperatures, and are not fermentable.

Erythritol is a sugar alcohol that is used as a bulking agent, and it is extracted from fruits like melons, pears and grapes and, mushrooms, and from fermented products (cheese, soy sauce, and wine).

(Alec) #7

So, you would expect a very low content of stevia vs erythritol? That makes sense to me. So I can treat the part 2 sweetener as an E and S mix. Might need to find myself some pure E, as I do want to test it on its own.

(Ron) #8

This would be the BG spike and it might still be rising at a faster rate than you insulin production is countering. It might continue increasing until insulin levels get the upper hand and start reducing it. For proper functioning people this should be by the T-120

(Alec) #9

I did not know this… just got this from ruled.me… xylitol net carbs per 100g = 60!! Well, that’s the reason for the BG spike!! No question. So, I need to look for pure erythritol…

Sweetener GI Type Net Carbs (Per 100g) Calories (Per 100g)
Stevia 0 Natural 5 20
Allulose 0 Natural 0 – 5 20 – 40
Inulin 0 Natural 1 150
Monk Fruit 0 Natural 0 – 25 0 – 100
Tagatose 3 Natural 35 150
Erythritol 0 Sugar Alcohol 5 20
Xylitol 13 Sugar Alcohol 60 240
Maltitol 36 Sugar Alcohol 67 270
Sucralose 0-80 Artificial 0 0
Aspartame 0 Artificial 85 352
Saccharin Variable Artificial 94 364
Table Sugar 63 Processed 100 387

(Ron) #10

Yes I like the flavor of the blend I use but I definitely watch how much I use.

(Alec) #11

I knew I did these tests for a reason!! :rofl::joy::thinking::see_no_evil::crazy_face::crazy_face:

(Ron) #12

And here I thought you were just one of those that liked the pain of finger pricks.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

(Alec) #13

T+90… whoah!! This is starting to make some sense… insulin has kicked in, and dropped the BG hard… I wonder if I will overshoot?

So, provisional result: xyilitol is insulogenic for me… therefore not the best either.

(Alec) #14

I’ve only used the fingers of one hand so far… got my right hand to go yet!! :rofl::rofl:

(Ron) #15

I think the typical result usually does fall below base line some for a short time, then balances .

(Ron) #16

This is my typical reading but I am t2d and hopefully correcting to normals (what that might be?):hushed:

(Alec) #17

Ron
I think my “normal” is in the higher end of the “standard OK” range of 3.5-5.5 mmol/L. 5.0 is 90 mg/dL.

(Ron) #18

Wish I could say that. My normal the last couple months has been about 4.7 - 6.1 mmol/L . Used to be 6.6 -7.4 before keto so it is going down.

(Alec) #19

T+120. Ok, back to base normal.

Conclusions: 6g of xylitol spikes my BG level, and creates a resulting insulin response, which drives BG lower, and BG reverts to normal by T+120. Given the carb content of xylitol, maybe I shouldn’t have been surprised. :unamused:

So, I am after a non-insulogenic sweetener for me. So far, both an erythritol/stevia mix and pure xylitol has proven insulogenic for me. So, still looking for the right sweetener. I am going to try to find a pure erythritol product and test it.

What is your favourite sweetener?

(Ron) #20

I use a blend (E & X) because of the flavor I like best. It has carbs and does affect me so I have to use it sparingly.