Very interesting N=1 trying to test that Sat Fat causes weight loss

(Bob M) #1

Here’s a very interesting test of Peter (Petro) D.'s protons theory from Hyperlipid:

If you’re not familiar with the protons theory, basically it’s like this. Fat cells have “switches” that make them insulin resistant (good, don’t want more energy) or insulin sensitive (bad, want more energy). Saturated fat causes insulin resistance (good), monounsaturated fat does not (right in the middle), and polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs) cause insulin sensitivity (bad). So, one reason for the obesity crisis is because of seed oils, which are high in PUFAs, thereby causing us to overeat.

See the article for more information. He went from carnivore to a higher carb, high stearic acid (saturated fat) diet, and lost a lot of weight. He had also been keto.

I think I’m going home and eating some cocoa butter (high in stearic acid).

Cacao Butter - the Super Butter
Thoughts on inflammation
Lumen - let the conversation begin :yum:
Carnivores: Rough estimate, what's the % of your meat&fat types?
Fire in a Bottle - The ROS Theory of Obesity and The Proton Theory
(Bob M) #2

Note that this could also explain why people eating the paleolithic ketogenic diet lose weight: they increase their saturated fat content relative to what they were eating.

(Erin Macfarland ) #3

This blog is AWESOME!! Thank you for sharing!!

(Bob M) #4

No problem, I’m glad you liked it.

I’ve only read a few of his blog posts, but they help make it easier to understand the concept of why fat cells are affected by fats.

(Central Florida Bob ) #5

Fascinating, Bob. That’s so far out of the picture in my head, I’m in danger of blowing out a cerebral hemisphere.

It sounds like it worked very quickly for him. Have you started your experiments in the few days since you posted? Are you adding SF to your diet, or what?

(Bunny) #6

Over eat what? Over-eat refined (simple) carbohydrates or complex carbohydrates?

Seed oils? That all depends on our individual genotype this is not a one size fits all as your attempting to disseminate as a fact?

You need all three fats, one does not work without the other.

Some people need more monounsaturated fats and more polyunsaturated with EPA and DHA than saturated fats or they get inflammation and become hyper-responders, for example depending on variables in a persons lineage who lived in more tropical zones or lived in colder climates ocean side etc.

(Bob M) #7

I have started adding cocoa butter, which is high in stearic acid. I’ll see what happens.

You can get stearic acid itself, but it’s created through hydrogenation. While it’s supposedly 99% pure, I can’t quite bring myself to eat something hydrogenated.

(Bob M) #8

Say you eat food fried in seed oils. You’re getting a massive slug of PUFAs, much larger than found in nature. Then add seed oils as cooking oils, in basically every commercial salad dressing, mayo, prepared food, etc. We’re drowning in PUFAs. By contrast, if you eat meat, vegetables, and dairy, you have many fewer PUFAs (and we haven’t even gotten into grass fed versus grain fed).

So, the issue is the amount of PUFAs we’re getting.

Compare beef tallow as a cooking “oil” versus soybean or vegetable oil, for instance. Tallow is very low (less than 4% even in grain-fed) in PUFAs. Meanwhile, soybean/vegetable is between 50-60% PUFAs.

Consider this:

Note how this also mirrors obesity. That’s correlation, of course, but there are plausible mechanisms about how PUFAs can cause obesity.

(Central Florida Bob ) #9

This really puzzled me. How could they hydrogenate it? It’s a fully saturated fat; there’s nothing to hydrogenate.

I figured that must mean they synthesize it by hydrogenating a PUFA into a SFA, that is, turning something else into stearic acid. For what it’s worth, the Wikipedia doesn’t say that.

I assume you got that from a manufacturer of the stearic acid. Any idea what they’re talking about?

(Bob M) #10

This is the stuff:

The product description says:

Stearic acid is a naturally-ocurring saturated fatty acid used as an emulsifier and emollient.It’s found in many saturated oils like palm and coconut. It’s created by treating oil with water at high temperatures, going through the hydrogenation process.

I can’t find any that’s sourced from cocoa butter or other high-stearic-acid fat.

(Central Florida Bob ) #11

Interesting. Wikipedia says:

Stearic acid is obtained from fats and oils by the saponification of the triglycerides using hot water (about 100 °C). The resulting mixture is then distilled.[10] Commercial stearic acid is often a mixture of stearic and palmitic acids, although purified stearic acid is available.

Which says they use hot water, like the manufacturer does, only saponification is making soap by treating fatty acids with an alkali solution like lye.

(bulkbiker) #12

Wow that’s some accusation coming from you…!

(Bunny) #13

There are countless numbers of other variables to worry about besides PUFAS.

As stated before some people need more monounsaturated fats and polyunsaturated fats besides saturated fats!

You put too much faith in PUFAS being the cause of inflammation.

The way we talk about dietary fats around here would leave observers thinking we are drinking or chugging this stuff by the gallons when we are only talking about percentage and ratios of calories not amount?

You eat too much fat on ketogenic diet and you will never be metabolically fit enough to tolerate a carbohydrate ever again and just gain all your weight right back again.

Case closed!

(Edith) #15

This graph shows the types of fatty acids in different kinds of fat. One does not need to eat highly processed vegetables to get the essential fatty acids.

https://shawnacoronado.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/Oil-Fat-Comparison-Chart.jpg

(Bunny) #16

Was not disputing that, again some people need more ratios of different types of dietary fat or they end up hyper-responders.

If the lineage in your ancestry ate more polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats along with saturated fats then you also need to eat the same or your triglycerides and cholesterol or sterols in your blood work results are are going to look strange but that does not necessarily mean it is a bad thing, as those calibrations for CHD, CVD etc. risks they rely on were only based on like few people from some now deceased scientist that lived 60 years ago or more.

All my blood work comes back normal so I’m lucky I can eat more saturated fats because my lineage is very mixed with Native American, Spanish, Scottish and Irish blood lines. You see my red hair…lol

(Scott) #17

I think the only things I eat that is fried in oil are bacon and pork rinds.

(Bob M) #18

I never said anything about inflammation. At all. Ever.

(Bob M) #19

I have to say, this is unsupported by any scientific evidence. I’ve been eating low carb since 1/1/14 and just went down another size in pants (now 34, from 43+) and had to buy a new, smaller winter coat. And I eat a low carb, primarily keto diet.

So, you’re wrong.

(Bunny) #20

…For that matter just in case you do…lol

(Bunny) #21

Then you must be becoming more metabolically fit?

Or it is temporary and as soon as you carb up you will gain it all back!

The way your doing your ketogenic diet could be correct for only you but some else could follow in your footsteps and they get the opposite result because they are doing something wrong, they may not exercise or eat too much of the wrong thing etc…

So it proves nothing, only that it has helped you.