Thoughts on inflammation

science

(Jenna Ericson) #1

Could persistent inflammation be a bigger deal than we thought? While reading “The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living” I had a few aha moments. One of these moments was when I found out that the membranes of our cells are made up of polyunsaturated fats, and that the wrong ratio of pro-inflammatory omega-6 to anti-inflammatory omega-3 fats in our cell membranes could influence insulin’s ability to interact with our cells, leading to worse insulin resistance. The second big realization came when I read that the two main predictors of type 2 diabetes were biomarkers of lipogenesis and biomarkers of inflammation.

This started me thinking…we have had access to processed carbohydrates since at least the industrial revolution and it hasn’t been until the last 50 years or so that the rate of metabolic syndrome has skyrocketed. I’m not saying carbs aren’t a problem, but what if they are only half of the problem? While reading “The Big Fat Surprise” I realized that the huge shift to using vegetable oils, etc. in the 50’s and 60’s seems to correlate with when Americans started getting much sicker. I’m guessing that most restaurant foods are cooked in or fried in some kind of vegetable oil. It’s very hard to know the omega-6 vs omega-3 content of meat that is not grass fed, but it makes sense that the difference would be significant. I tried looking up the fatty acid profile of grass (yup, that’s what I do in my spare time) and found that any fatty acids it contains are for the most part omega-3s, vs corn fed to most livestock, which would be a source of mostly omega-6s.

What if inflammation is an answer to why we stall on keto diets? It seems like right around the time that people get fat adapted, their weight loss stalls. When you first start a keto diet, it’s likely that your body is not efficient at using fat for fuel so it will overproduce ketones. Ketones are known to reduce inflammation, so what if this reduction in inflammation is part of what contributes to the huge improvement in insulin sensitivity in the first few weeks of keto? As your body starts getting more efficient at using fat for fuel, it makes less ketones. What if this drop in ketones causes inflammation to slowly creep up due to the still-present high level of omega-6 fatty acids in our diet?

The other day I saw an advertisement for something that was basically a prescription dose of fish oil marketed to type 2 diabetics. I know of a few people who have found that adding chia or flax seeds to their diet seemed to help them loss weight. Apparently it is harder for our bodies to use the ALA in seeds than the EPA or DHA in fish, but the specifics on how hard it is seem to be lacking. What if adding these things to our diets, trying to eat grass fed, and avoiding vegetable oils is almost as important as avoiding carbs? I’d love to hear if anyone else has ideas about this!

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #2

Michael Eades has at least two YouTube videos floating around these forums on the subject of the marked decline of human health with the adoption of farming circa 10K years ago. Our hunter gatherer ancestors were both healthier and more robust than our farmer ancestors who followed them. In fact, anthropologists can tell just be looking at bones/teeth whether remains are those of a hunter or a farmer.

Particularly, in relation to your post, Eades notes the physical evidence provided by the tissue of Egyptian mummies. These people had all of so-called ‘modern’ metabolic diseases 3000 years ago!

(Jack Bennett) #3

I agree in large part with what you’re saying. The Whole30 and Paleo communities (keto-adjacent and keto-friendly) also talk a lot about inflammation and say similar things.

I agree it’s important to get one’s dietary omega-6:omega-3 ration down to a more typical ancestral value (1:1 as opposed to 5:1 or 10:1 due to modern, excessive consumption of seed oils).

(Jenna Ericson) #4

Just watched some Michael Eades and looks like he read my mind :stuck_out_tongue:

Great info but I think that’s pretty common knowledge and standard practice here on this forum. I could be wrong though.

Nevertheless, it’s a good reminder. Welcome to the fourm.

(Karen) #6

I love that you are seeing this connection. I do think oils are a serious problem. I think you are right that eating both the wrong oils AND wrong carbs are at issue.

Ivor Cummings had the same thoughts.
Seed oils,Sugar, carbs, processed food, pollution, smoking
His YouTube channel has a lot of good information

(Susan) #8

Welcome to the forum, Jenna =).

We always encourage people to read all labels on all foods and to keep carbs to 20grams or less on Keto and to avoid all seed oils, so I agree with you when you say that

I totally agree!

(bulkbiker) #9

Check out Tucker Goodrich on twitter

(Jenna Ericson) #10

Thanks for all of your comments and recommendations! Michael Eades’ video “A New Hypothesis of Obesity” was especially helpful and I listened to the episode of Ivor Cummins’ podcast where he interviewed Tucker Goodrich and that seemed to support what Michael Eades was saying. Thanks again!

(Jenna Ericson) #11

So it’s my understanding that PUFAs are particularly inflammatory when oxidized. When you burn fat on your body for fuel that means you are oxidizing fat right? Does anyone know if this means that burning PUFAs stored in your fat could cause acute inflammation? If that’s the case I think the solution would still be to KCKO, but it might be good if this explained part of why we sometimes don’t lose weight in a straight line.

(Jenna Ericson) #12

Ketones are a powerful anti-inflammatory drug - no prescription required!:
Can Keto Affect Your Genes?

(Bob M) #13

I listened to a podcast with Cate Shanahan (has a book called Deep Nutrition). She said that PUFAs cause the fat cells to not be useful for energy, as the energy is locked away. This is similar to what Tucker and Eades say. So, she says if you feel bad/angry during a fast or have other issues even when transitioning to low carb, this could the the PUFAs in your cells. It takes a while to get rid of them. You have to go on a low PUFA diet for quite a while (years?) before you can totally transition from PUFAs to whatever in your cells.

Also, along these lines see this N=1 of a test of a high saturated fat diet (but also higher in carbs):

(Jenna Ericson) #14

Thanks for this link! So many links within links too! Down the rabbit hole we go!

(Jenna Ericson) #15

Also, proof that the function of insulin resistance is relative. I used to think of insulin resistance as the driver of most metabolic disfunction. I think it’s more accurate to say that either insulin resistance or insulin sensitivity at the wrong times can cause metabolic derangement.

My n=1 contribution to this thread is as follows:

22 years on a relatively high omega 6 diet = About 16 ibuprofen tablets a month from dysmenorrhea stemming from inflammatory prostaglandins. Excruciating pain that have cost me jobs, missed exams, one every month doubled over in bed in pain (this is despite the copious ibuprofen use), just terrible 1-2 days a month for as long as I can remember.

A few months on a high omega 3 diet + low omega 6 diet (ratio around 1:1 now) = No more monthly pain. ZERO ibuprofen use. No painful inflammation. Just the atypical period. I am grateful to have figured it out after two decades but SO ANGRY that I could have lived a life without the pain and nsaids if my DOCTORS had any common sense or knowledge. It was such an easy fix!

My weight loss have been around 3kg a month since I corrected the ratios but then again I am OMAD and do quite a healthy keto with macros targeted towards fat loss…so cant quite correlate the loss of inflammation to my weight loss (couldn’t have hurt though)