Lumen - let the conversation begin šŸ˜‹

(Bob M) #30

Even now, the Sami people (if they adhere to tradition) eat mainly reindeer, and only eat berries and roots for a short period, to fatten up for the winter. The vast majority of time, they will be in ketosis.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #31

Iā€™m also wondering about the effect of protein/amino acid oxidation on RER. For that matter, also ethanol. This might be relevant to carbs, amino and fatty acids:

Apparently, ethanol does not oxidize to CO2 but to aldehyde and H2O. If so then it would not affect RER. Yet, I find that hard to accept. Something must happen to RER when youā€™re consuming ethanol. Maybe? Another question that Lumen may answer.

(Jenna Ericson) #32

One thing that stood out in looking through that study was this: ā€œMcCloy et al. (McCloy et al., 2004) found the cumulative oxidation of exogenous oleate and linolenate in humans to be 62% higher than exogenous linoleic acid.ā€ This doesnā€™t have anything to do with protein, but seems to further support what we already know about linoleic acid - that itā€™s bad, oxidizes slower than other fats, and probably stays around in the body longer.

My primary interest in Lumen would be to figure out if and when my body is producing amounts of endogenous glucose that are enough to trigger an insulin response that could switch me from burning fat to burning glucose. I think many here would agree that if they were to eat 60 grams of carbs that could trigger enough of an insulin response to switch their body from burning fat to glucose. I donā€™t have any real proof of this, but Iā€™m fairly certain that the body can create at least 60 grams of endogenous glucose in a day and probably much more. Why would the body do this if it has plenty of fat to burn? One reason could be in response to inflammation. Itā€™s my understanding that an inflammatory response creates a demand for glucose. I have been obsessed with this topic because I think that having a better understanding of how certain immune responses affect metabolism could help answer a lot of my questions. For example, why do people with type 2 diabetes produce 3x more glucose than non-diabetic people? Why does 20 grams of carbs seem to be the limit when the brain requires probably around 40 grams per day even in ketosis? Is overeating carbs for an extended period of time really the main underlying cause of insulin resistance?

(Jane Srygley) #33

I think that makes a lot of sense!

OMG you still havenā€™t gotten that yet???

What is RER?

@jennasaurus good questions!

(Bob M) #34

I heard a discussion where the two people were theorizing that glucagon and not insulin was supposed to be the bodyā€™s blood sugar control system. The reason weā€™re using insulin is because weā€™re eating too many carbs. So, if diabetics can produce glucagon but not insulin, glucagonā€™s job is to raise blood sugar. Without a counteracting effect from insulin, you get higher blood sugar.

No one really knows whether 20 grams is a limit. I donā€™t count, but there are days I know get over 20 grams yet am still in ketosis. It depends on exercise, etc. I think 20 is used because if you overshoot, you should still be in ketosis. If you use 50 (which some people consider the actual limit), itā€™s easy to overshoot.

As for overeating carbs, it could be. But PUFAs have an effect, too. The term ā€œinsulin resistanceā€ is a poorly defined term. The primary drivers of ā€œinsulin resistanceā€ are the liver and pancreas. But the fat cells themselves can be insulin resistant or insulin sensitive. And those have an effect on the body too.

Concerning this, see this conversation at Hyperlipid:

He thinks if you eat super high carb, low fat, thereā€™s no issue. If you eat super low carb, high fat, thereā€™s no issue. But thereā€™s a range with carbs + fat thatā€™s an issue.

(Central Florida Bob ) #35

I think this is why thereā€™s a move to saying hyperinsulinemia - ā€œhigh insulin in the bloodā€ - instead of insulin resistance. As you were saying over in your thread on your N=1 on trying higher levels of fat, there are times we want insulin resistance. In that case, we want our fat cells to be resistant to insulin to keep them from storing more fat.

(Bob M) #36

And also in the morning, weā€™re ā€œinsulin resistantā€ to allow blood sugar to go up. (Though some define this time as being ā€œinsulin sensitiveā€, but free fatty acids are high, counteracting that.) Thatā€™s why ā€œinsulin resistanceā€ is tough to define: It has too many faces.

I think the theory that different fats affect fat cells differently is an interesting one.

Hate to interrupt the discussion but this started six months ago I was hoping to see some results :slight_smile:

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #38

So was I! Hopefully soon.

(Bob M) #39

Hmmā€¦Ted Naiman got his alreadyā€¦and hates it. Says he canā€™t calibrate it due to the rigid rules it has for calibration.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #40

Bummer! Still awaiting mine.

(charlie3) #41

I noticed this Lumen product for the first time a few weeks ago. Iā€™m interested if it works as advertised but very suspicious that it doesnā€™t because of the way itā€™s promoted. Iā€™m waiting for reviews by people who paid the asking price.

(charlie3) #42

May be the calibration rules can be fixed in firmware. But my suspician is if this was possible it would have been done years ago. Iā€™m hellbent on improving fat adaption. Iā€™m eating 40 net carbs and doing 2 x 1 hour sessions a day of low heart rate training (on an airdyne instead of running). The theory is, if you stay strictly below your aerobic threshold the body will learn to burn fat at a higher rate and the cardio system will still become significantly more efficient, meaning more work at the same bpm. Elite endurance athelets do this kind of training. If fat burning could be measured it might be possible to train closer to the aerobic threshold to adapt more quickly.

Got mine this week. I bit the bullet and did the calibration day ( which requires a high carb and zero exercise day) looking forward to getting back to fat burn. Very curious to see how long that will take.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #44

I received an email today that my Lumen has shipped. Shipped date: today.

Can Your Body get Fuel from Ketones AND Glucose?
(Bob M) #45

High carb, no exercise? Interesting.

(Rabih Waked) #46

Hi. Just curious to know what happened with your Lumen and if you found out whether it was good for Keto or not? Does it tell you when you reach ketosis? I want to buy one myself but want to make sure itā€™s worth it.

Iā€™m still giving it a chance. I had been sick so I donā€™t know if the stress kicked me out of keto, but I have been maintaining my standard keto diet Iā€™ve been on for2 years and it still tells me Iā€™m burning carb :woman_facepalming:t2:. Either Iā€™m doing keto wrong, didnā€™t eat enough carbs when I calibrated or it doesnā€™t work

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #48

@Eblum418 Keep in mind that you will never be in a state of zero glucose burn. There are cells, red blood cells for example, that require glucose. So even in ketosis you are still burning glucose.

The Lumen gives you a 1-5 score. A being mostly fat burn and 5 being mostly carb burn. Iā€™ve been a 4-5 with a few 3ā€™s since getting the Lumen. No 1-2ā€™s despite almost zero carb days and some fasting days.