Very interesting N=1 trying to test that Sat Fat causes weight loss

(bulkbiker) #22

Who would be stupid enough to try that…?

(Bunny) #23

If you can not oxidize carbohydrates then you did not “cure” your condition so thinking you “cured” your condition would be “stupid.”

You are simply limited on what you can eat, so you put band-aid on it, if by chance you can not tolerate carbohydrates and your blood sugars skyrocket then you are not as metabolically fit as you think you are?

Bottom line your still diabetic!

That description doesn’t make sense. If it is “naturally-occurring”, then why would it be “created” by a treatment or process?

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #25

For @atomicspacebunny ‘metabolically fit’ means “I can eat 100+ grams of carbs per day and remain in ketosis”. If that’s true for her, great. Carry on, Bunny. I choose not to eat carbs because zero carbs are necessary for health and well-being. Zero. And despite anything @atomicspacebunny says to the contrary there is zero benefit to eating carbs and a lot of risk doing so. A few carbs attach themselves to otherwise good food. Fortunately, those few carbs are incidental, minimal and and don’t cause any issues. If that makes me ‘metabolically unfit’ so be it. I can live with that.

(Bob M) #26

If you find any stearic acid that’s not created by hydrogenation, let me know.

Well, I’ve been eating cocoa butter (high in stearic acid) before each meal. I think it might be doing something. For instance, I had my first meal today, finishing about 11am. It’s 4pm now, and I am totally not hungry at all. Zero hunger. Couldn’t consider eating. This has been happening a lot since I’ve started eating cocoa butter.

Of course, I’ve also started drinking bone broth with each meal, to help my shoulders heal from re-injuring them. And maybe I’m adding calories too by adding cocoa butter? So, I’ve changed multiple variables at once.

But I am getting really, really, really full after eating. If I didn’t want to eat dinner with the family tonight (about 7:30pm or so), I likely wouldn’t.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #27

So it seems to me we’re dancing around the mulberry pole. Is stearic acid a naturally occurring fat or is it a manufactured fat, like margarine? Is it ‘extracted’ or ‘manufactured’ from saturated fats by boiling? :upside_down_face:

(bulkbiker) #28

Sorry but when you can “pass” every diagnostic test then you aren’t T2 any longer.

Whether anyone would be stupid enough to go back to eating what caused their problems in the first place is another matter.

For myself I have no intention of doing it. You do you but please stop making silly generalisations. It doesn’t help anyone new here and you really should know better.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #29

Nonsense! T2D is not the inability to oxidize carbs, it’s the inability to respond to insulin. Oxidation of carbs is a simple chemical process that occurs when a molecule of carbohydrate meets a molecule of oxygen. The result of that chemical reaction is a molecule of glucose and a molecule of C02. T2D causes the inability to deal with the molecule of glucose.

(Justin Jordan) #30

Those aren’t mutually exclusive. A fair amount of stuff in food and drugs is stuff that does indeed naturally occur in nature but is manufactured because it’s cheaper.

A better description of what they’re presumably trying to say would be “It can be created by…”

(Central Florida Bob ) #31

So no croissants or pancakes? No stearic acid butteroil? :grin: I don’t know that I’d go that far as the first step, either, but Brad M. did both of those, right?

I’m at that point, after a month of maintenance, where I need to go back to more intense weight loss mode. The expected 5 pound gain from when I was doing alternate day fasts at the start of November has turned into 7 or 8 pounds, and that’s a no go. Back to something more austere. A jar of cocoa butter might be an interesting starting point. The stearic acid linked to earlier seems to be aimed at soap making.

Petro was also big on eating butter. I could easily eat a stick of Kerry Gold.

EDIT 4:50PM - correct Brad Marshall’s name. And to add:

What cocoa butter are you using? I don’t see anything that seems like one could have a spoonful. It seems to be in large lumps like this:

Is that a forest plot? I’m not qualified to read that.

(Edith) #33

Nope, not a forest plot, so you’re good. :grinning:

I sure would like to have my first meal bruch be keto croissants with cocoa butter stuffed with canadian bacon & cheese, along with coffee/raw milk/MCTs. :croissant: Maybe can work with some of the below recipes to swap in cocoa butter!

These are really French style flaky apparently - using micellar casein (from cheese curds):

I went looking, and this is French-produced grassfed casein powder, used in small amounts as a baking agent - but can also be eaten as protein, for those who aren’t casein-sensitive. Pricey, but the amounts used for baking are small, so I’ll keep it in mind:

These fellows look like crescent rolls from the can, doughy-like, and ideal for sausage rolls w/ extra saturated fat!

(Jenna Ericson) #35

Bunny, If what you’re saying is that type 2 diabetes is a pathological inability to oxidize carbohydrates, in contrast to typical healthy people who can metabolize carbs easily with no metabolic ill effects, then what is the cause of the inability to oxidize carbohydrates and why does this inability now seem to exist in such a huge segment of the population? If there is no cause and no cure are you saying it is solely genetic? If that’s the case why does there seem to have been such a steep rise in T2D over the last few decades? Also, even if, by your standards, keto is not a cure, it still mitigates the symptoms to the point where the condition is no longer harmful, in which case, isn’t your statement just a difference of semantics?

(Bob M) #37

A short note here. I’ve been testing this using cocoa butter, which is relatively high in stearic acid. I believe it’s working. For instance, I’ve been getting so freaking “full” after eating now. This morning, as an example, I could not even attempt to eat. Since I haven’t been eating breakfast for oh years, I am usually not that hungry, but this is different, in that I am full. I could not eat if you tried to make me eat.

I’ve ordered some shea butter, which supposedly is even higher in stearic acid, to test. I’ll see what happens.

I’m still looking for stearic acid that’s verified as stearic acid (some is actually less than half stearic acid) and that’s not hydrogenated.

(Jenna Ericson) #38

So is this protons theory suggesting that localized insulin sensitivity can cause systemic insulin resistance?

(Bunny) #39

Fat deposits that build up in muscle tissue especially the gluteus maximus. It is hard to see this because biopsies would probably be too expensive and painful.

The skeletal muscle does not get much attention in the way metabolic dysregulations because it is so difficult to study in contrast to the other preferred studied causes of obesity and diabetes.

The accumulation of intramyo/hepatic cellular lipids/triglycerides also goes un-noticed from the left over vestiges of visceral fat accumulation.

The huge segment of the effected populations around world eating excessive processed carbohydrates or a simple carbohydrate rather than more traditional or natural complex carbohydrates is most likely the cause of this intra-lipid muscle tissue accumulation and thus the obesity and diabetes epidemic.

Insulin simply can no longer distinguish between muscle or adipose tissue nor can the muscle interact with the storage and oxidation processes or something to that affect when micro-lipidation infiltrates lean skeletal muscle mass.

One person can go a ketogenic diet and boom they burn body fat like it’s nothing and the next person is not so lucky because it is all dependent on the degree of lean skeletal muscle that has been infiltrated by this micron-lipidation?

The particular muscle groups that is most devastated by this is the gluteus maximus and then all the other skeletal muscle follow including the entire metabolism (RMR/BMR/EER) micro RNA and methylation processes.

Virta Health has clearly and clinically demonstrated that you can increase complex carbohydrate intake along with dietary fats.

Metabolic Syndrome Diagram I've Been Working On
(Central Florida Bob ) #40

I almost bought some chunks of cocoa butter last night on an Amazon shopping trip, until my wife said (in a Monty Python-esque voice) “how do you cook it?” and then the more realistic “what do you do with it?”

I didn’t buy it because I couldn’t answer that. Do you just eat a chunk? Fry in it? Since stearic acid is an 18-carbon saturated fat, it’s going to be waxy in texture at room temperature. How do you determine how much cocoa butter to consume?

(Jack Bennett) #41

You could probably cook with it in the same way as you would cook with butter or coconut oil or beef tallow. Depending on flavors, etc. What does pure stearic acid triglycerides taste like?

(Scott) #42

You can’t see the forest plot for the trees