Shrimp and grits

shrimp
grits

I really love shrimp and grits! So, hopefully, you will fall in love with this, too!

First…to make the grits I started with a couple of cans of baby corn

After draining and rinsing the baby corn, I put them in a container for getting them blitzed with the stick blender

The baby corn were then puréed

The puréed baby corn were transferred to a sauce pan. Two tablespoon butter and a cup of shredded cheddar cheese was added. Heat was turned on to melt everything down and blend well

A bit of heavy whipping cream was added to get the grits to the desired consistency

At this point, salt is added to adjust the taste

Lid is placed on the grits. Heat is turned off. They are set aside while the shrimp are cooked

A pack of bacon (375 gram) was chopped up and placed in a frying pan

A few ingredients for the shrimp were prepared. First, two green onions (scallions) were chopped up

A couple tablespoons of fresh parsley, chopped

And juice of half lemon

When the green onions, parsley and lemon juice were prepared, I started cooking the bacon

The bacon is cooked to desired level of tenderness or crispness

Then the bacon is removed from the pan, leaving the grease in the pan

One and half pound deveined raw shrimp are added to the hot grease

They only take a few minutes to cook (turning pink)

The green onion, lemon juice and parsley is added

And then the cooked bacon is added. Salt and pepper is added as well

Tis is what the final result looked like before plating

Plating of shrimp and grits

Close up

The perfect bite: cheesy grits, with smokey bacon and savoury shrimp

Grits by ZORN
What did you Keto today?
What did you Keto today?
(Beth) #2

Wow. Yum. I lived in Tennessee for a couple of years and I’ve never had grits, but this looks go good! May have to try it. Thank you!

Well, grits are made from dried ground corn, boiled in water or milk. It’s extremely carby…like super super carby. So, this recipe is a cheat, in that it is puréed baby corn, which has significantly less carbs, but still a hint of corn taste. And when blended with butter, cheese and cream, the camouflage is even better.

(Bacon for the Win) #4

I want this, and I want it now! LOL looks soooo good!

(No I'm not mad - that's just my face) #5

Ohhhh, I have been looking for a grits hack to make shrimp and grits. I will be trying this soon!!

(Keto in Katy) #6

Yum. My mom used to make buttered grits. So good.

Grits is a funny word for food.

(Beth) #7

Yes, the real grits never appealed to me – the name didn’t help! :wink:

(Jacquelyn Graham) #8

I fine chop celery root in my food processor and cook it with bone broth, seasonings, etc, and use it as a substitute for grits, too.

(Larry Lustig) #9

Corn blah blah corn blah blah blah.

Looks and sounds great.

Do you have any thoughts on trying to make something along the lines of a corn tortilla?

Ooooohhhh…Larry…have you been reading my mind? Scary.

I’m working on it…not yet to be revealed. Stay tuned…

(Sam Perez) #11

Interesting. I miss my cheesy grits so I’m going to have to give this a try.

(Bacon for the Win) #12

finally made this and it did not disappoint. Took a while to find the baby corn. It’s in with the Asian foods at my supermarket. I also used a grated hard cheese blend because I have so mch left from the last time I made wings. Parmesan, Asiago, and Romano. Next time I’ll use cheddar just for comparison. Also, didn’t have shrimp but had sea scallops so I wrapped 'em in bacon and off to the races. Bacon wrapped scallops and grits! Will definitely do this again.

Awesome! Glad it worked out, and good call on the other ingredients. Sounds delicious!!

Made this tonight. The shrimp and bacon combo is amazing, but wasn’t crazy about the grits part. If you love the taste of baby corn, I’m sure you’ll enjoy it, but it’s a strong taste that can’t be masked with enough cheese and cream. Altogether it was good. Couldn’t get the kids to eat much of the grits, but they demolished the bacon and shrimp on top! Successful dinner, everyone is happy, but next time think we’ll replace the baby corn with a cauliflower cheese mash or something.

(Candy Lind) #15

Oh man, I am so sad I didn’t find this while I was home alone. It will have to wait until we come home again for a couple of weeks. :heart_eyes:

(Marta Loftfield) #16

@Fiorella I made this tonight. It was great and well received. Thank you! Only change was to add some Tony Chachare creole spice to the shrimp. We like things hot :sunglasses:.

(Marta Loftfield) #17

@NelleG thank you for the supermarket tip. It sure made finding the baby corn much easier.

(Candy Lind) #18

I’m saving off a bookmark for this recipe again and my mouth is remembering the “Camarones Panzones” that I’ve eaten THREE TIMES this week at El Camino Real #3 here in Elkhart, IN. Imagine a nice succulent shrimp with a strip of Oaxaca (mexican string) cheese, lovingly wrapped in a strip of bacon and pan-fried until the bacon is crisp. Bacon and shrimp are a match made in Heaven!! Especially if you’re dipping those wraps in a mixture of guacamole and sour cream. :innocent:

When I get home again this fall, I WILL be recreating Camarones Panzones and posting the recipe here on the forums.

(Jane Reed) #19

I tried the “grits” and did not care for the flavor or consistency.

I wonder if very well chopped, cooked, and dried cauliflower might work as well. Nothing is going to equal the consistency of real grits.

I’m fasting and did not need to see this post.