Shrimp and grits

shrimp
grits

(back and doublin' down) #21

and yet… "Shrimp and grits’ didn’t warn you away!

I’m a bit of a food masochist myself when fasting. It’s my favorite time to peruse the recipe section!

Right? It warned me away like a light-bulb does to a moth.

(Joleena CLoudDancer Mogle) #23

Corn is full of carbs! My dietician said no corn or peas!

(Susan) #24

CORN is not Keto, why is this recipe even here…

(Full Metal KETO AF) #25

@Momof5 @Cloud While corn is considered a grain and not recommended for keto baby corn has a more keto carb profile. Susan I am confused by Canadian food labels so maybe you can shed some light on this. I have seen some other KETOers using baby corn in faux corn bread.

It looks to me like 2 carbs per half cup. Which is fairly low carb. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Susan) #26

I am not good at reading labels, which is why I have been afraid of anything processed since going on Keto. Remember I thought the MCT powder I bought was not Keto, because I was reading it wrong? I am terrified of messing up, so only eating meat for lunch and supper with a bit of vegetables with each meal, (fresh, cooked in olive oil). Nothing else, and of course, lots of fasting =).

(Full Metal KETO AF) #27

@Momof5 I just don’t know if carbs are listed in Total or Net there. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Susan) #28

I have no clue either. I have been terrified of having carbs since I started Keto so I make sure I hardly eat anything but meat now… I don’t want to mess up.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #29

@Momof5 Google is my friend!

Like all nutrition labels in Australia and New Zealand, our labels list fibre separately to carbs. That means that “carbs” on the back of the pack of all our products are always net carbs.

In comparison, most nutritional labels in the USA and Canada include fibre in the total carb content. People in the USA will generally need to deduct the fibre from the “total carbs” to get “net carbs”.

Still a bit vague for my tastes, eh? :cowboy_hat_face:

(Susan) #30

@David_Stilley

When people post charts on here, and say their stats I have nooooooo clue what any of that means. I have never bought strips, or meters, and I don’t have a cell phone! I use a “Sony ghetto blaster” that my dad bought me in 1983 when I started university, that has a cassette player, that works. This is my music… my stereo. I listen to the radio on there, I have a channel I love that plays a lot of 80’s hits mostly. I use a desktop computer, I cannot stand laptops and touch screens, they freak me out, I need a mouse! I am stuck in the '80’s in many ways, hahaha.

(PSackmann) #31

Even at 5 carbs per half cup, using a half cup for a grits substitute would be worthwhile occasionally. Much better substitute for my lifestyle than artificial sweeteners. Lower carb creamed corn anyone?