Satanhead pizza 😈

pizza
gluten

This pizza dough has a few unconventional ingredients, from a keto perspective. The idea behind this pizza dough is that it is a flexible…like the kind you can drape over your hand and throw in the air. To do that, you need gluten…which is basically the protein part of the wheat grain.

Vegan and vegetarian ketonians are familiar with seitan…which is a non-meat meatloaf made out of wheat protein (gluten). Seitan is actually a Japanese word, meaning the protein of wheat. If you take flour, and continuously wash it, removing it’s carb component, you would be left with a doughy ball of gluten. Thus, the name “satanhead pizza” was born! :smiling_imp:

So here’s the key ingredient needed:

Which doesn’t have too many carbs relative to flour

So, first start with measuring 250 mL warm water

Transfer a couple tablespoons of water to small bowl, and add 8 grams yeast and 1/4 teaspoon sugar

Mix the yeast in with water and sugar, to start activating it

Meanwhile weigh 180 grams almond flour

And 70 grams wheat gluten

Blend almond flour and wheat gluten in a bowl. By this time, the yeast should be activated and very puffy

Add yeast mixture to almond flour mixture, together with one teaspoon of salt and one tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil

With a spoon, start blending all the ingredients in the bowl. Slowly add the remainder of the water in the measuring cup, but being mindful that you may not need all of it. Just add enough water until you get sufficient moisture to firm a ball of dough you can knead. The result should be a dough as shown in photo below. Note the “stringy” grains, which is formed by the gluten in the dough.

Start kneading the dough

After kneading for about 10 minutes, the dough becomes smoother as the gluten is worked

Put the ball of dough in the bowl (note my thumbprint indentation at top)

Cover bowl with towel and let rise, about one hour

After dough has risen, you will note thumbprint is gone

Knead dough again for about one minute. One quarter of the dough was put in a cake pan (for the pizza), and 3/4 of the dough was put in a loaf pan

Here’s a photo that shows how flexible the pizza dough was. Very easy to work with

A towel was draped over the pans, and they were left to rise (about one hour). This is what they looked like when risen

While the dough was rising, some guanciale (cured pork jowl) was sliced

Guanciale lardons were cut and put in a frying pan

When the lardons were crispy, they were removed from the pan, leaving grease in the pan

Two tablespoons of tomato paste was added to the hot grease

As well as salt, pepper and some dried rosemary were added to the tomato paste mixture to make a porky tomato sauce

The tomato sauce was then spread on the risen pizza dough

Followed by the crispy lardons

The pizza was then baked in preheated oven 350 deg F for 15 minutes

The bottom of the crust was perfect, and looked exactly like any other pizza crust made with wheat flour…when the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that’s amore (doesn’t the crust look like the moon?!)

Shredded cheese was then added to the pizza, and it went back in the oven for about five minutes

The pizza looked and smelled like a typical pizza made with wheat flour

The dough had large bubbles and flakes, just like a wheat pizza dough. And the taste of the yeast in the pizza also seemed equivalent to a normal wheat crust

The loaf was also baked after it got to rise (twice it’s original volume)

The bread baked for 50 minutes at 350 deg F

Makes a nice loaf

Side shot

Bottom of loaf

The bread is quite firm, like any other wheat loaf. And the crumb is well risen with a nice fresh baked bread aroma

I think Dino would approve of this recipe…what do you think?

Bread which tastes like...{{GASP}}...BREAD?!?!?!
August Fat Burnin'
Gluten
(bulkbiker) #2

Temptress… they both look too good…

(Richard Morris) #3

Wow - nailed it!

I have vital wheat gluten, and don’t appear to have the problem with gluten causing mischief to my gut. I am so making this when I get home.

What did you Keto today?

Yes, same here. The gluten doesn’t bug me, just the carbs cause problems.

That looks amazeballs. Sadly I think it is a no no for me with Hashis.

For the gluten?

yes

(John) #8

I love it, I had this idea this weekend and ordered some gluten, glad to see it turned out and I don’t have to experiment!

(Candace) #9

Wow - I would never have thought to look at gluten as being part of a keto diet. That’s amazing

(Michelle) #10

Looks fantastic!!!

(Meeping up the Science!) #11

The Eades’ cookbook (many years old now) used it. You can use small amounts of masala too, for good tortillas that are very low carb. I think it should not be unconventional at all.

That humor, though, Fiorella, is another thing entirely! Hahaha. Very good one there.

(AnnaLeeThal) #12

Both of these look sinfully delicious. I am sure my husband would approve, as he just goes for the low carb count, not the gluten Free aspect of this WOE. Oh! And I can use my Kitchenaid to make it!

Do you happen to know the nutrition info for the recipe? Particularly the carb count?

(Stickin' with mammoth) #13

I dunno, that looks like an awful look of work between me entering the kitchen and the pizza finally getting into my mouth.

(adds “Marry keto chef” to list of New Year’s resolutions)

I almost dragged out the kitchenaide too, but I wanted to feel the dough through the process to get a better understanding of the gluten’s effect. As I was taking pictures of this recipe, I was experimenting. That’s why I made some in the bread loaf pan…to see how the bread would rise and bake. Not because I wanted to eat bread. Next time, though I will use the kitchenaide instead.

Carb count is not high. Only four ingredients used with carbs: 180 gram almond flour, 70 gram vital gluten wheat, two tablespoons tomato paste and 1/4 teaspoon sugar. I only used 1/4 dough for pizza, and could barely finish eating half of it since it was so rich.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #15

(AnnaLeeThal) #16

I put the recipe into MFP, just for the dough it is about 50gm total carbs for the whole thing. Which would be about 3-4 carbs per slice of bread or slice of pizza. Not too bad!

Yeah, that’s right! The other shocker is the amount of protein, especially from the gluten.

(AnnaLeeThal) #18

If you go by net carbs it is only 2gm per serving. And 6 grams of protein and fat each!!

Anyone know where I could buy the gluten. I live near Sydney Australia and don’t have access to amazon.

Check out shops that specialize in baking supplies. Gluten is often used to enhance some flours that need extra gluten boost (from a baker’s point of view). Another place to look is health supplement shops, because body builders have used it to add a non animal source protein to their protein shakes. Also, stores specializing in vegetarian or vegan foods, as this is an ingredient used to make seitan (faux meat).