Gluten

I got a bag of pure gluten and want to know if anyone has ever Incorporated it into any recipes. It’s hard to search for recipes because of how the algorithm works, I only get gluten free recipes lol.

Why would you do this? :slight_smile:

1. I like to experiment. 2. It’s the gluten what makes bread flours stick together in the exact way that almond flour and coconut flour decidedly do not, so I figured there might be something in that for experimental low carb cooking.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #4

So you want it for the “glue” factor? Does it contain carbs?

It’s 3g/.25c compared to almond flour 2.67 g/.25 c and coconut flour 5.33g/.25c

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #6

I think you will have to experiment on using it in place of those other flours. I’m not surprised you can’t find much on how to use it in recipes. Gluten has been demonized in the past few years. I’m interested in how you like it and if it gives you any trouble. Please share!

Did you see this:

Nice I hadn’t seen that one. Yes I joke that I bought the gluten to keep hipsters away. I’m thinking about doing something with oat fiber and gluten to see if I can get it to work while still reducing the carb count

(Carl Keller) #8

Celiac disease, which is a reaction against gluten protein that damages the small intestine, has quadrupled in the past 50 years. This coincides with the appearance of dwarf wheat varieties that were created to increase crop yields. So it may not just be trendy thing to avoid it.

I don’t believe gluten bothered me and I have inadvertantly eliminated it from my keto diet, but I can’t honestly say that its elimination didn’t contribute to improving my health and wellness… for what it’s worth.

You are right. I forgot to keep my sense of humor private, it always seems to rub people the wrong way

FWIW I thought it was funny :grin:

EDIT TO ADD - if you search ‘low carb vital wheat gluten’ outside of this forum you’ll probably find some ideas. Not sure where the ‘vital’ comes in but it’s common usage.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #11

NEVER keep your sense of humor private. It’s one of the very best parts of being human!

(Janelle) #12

A lot of bakers add gluten when baking whole grain bread. I’ve made an almond flour bread that attempted to make itself less almond and eggy by adding in whey protein. It helped but not much. I wonder if gluten would do anything there.

(Carl Keller) #13

Oh you didn’t rub me the wrong way. I should have made that clear in my last response. I was just sharing what I’ve recently learned about gluten. :slight_smile:

Please don’t censor your humor, especially not for (or because of) me. If I got paid for sarcasm, I’d be a wealthy man.

LOL we would rule the world

(Kat Campbell) #15

A bread machine recipe real low carb. Has vital wheat gluten and oat fiber in it. Not sure if you would consider Keto in some realms. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.copymethat.com/r/h6LK4JJ/diedres-for-real-low-carb-bread/&ved=2ahUKEwiNlb-kpqPgAhWi0YMKHdV3CzIQqUMwAHoECAoQFw&usg=AOvVaw2In4dqsnPLm_TUr0BSNdf9

I’m totally into this I got oat fiber too

(Kat Campbell) #17

(Amanda ) #19

Google SEITAN there are so many recipes, my family love Gluten steaks crumbed.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #20

I had two boxes that I passed on when I purged my kitchen. I used it to make AP flour have better lift making bread. I used to eat seitan, I liked it back then. We used it in Chinese cooking and also for fake bbq ribs. You can make seitan with plain white flour. Add water to the flour until it forms a dough, kneed it, put it in a large container of water and start kneeding it again under the water. The starch will dissolve into the water. Change the water and continue kneeding it until the dough is brownish and heavy and the water is clear. The resulting blob is the wheat protein without the starch. You can then stretch and shape or roll and slice into coins for cooking. Stretching it long, folding it back on itself and stretching again and folding (repeated several times will give it a more meat like texture with long strands imitating fibers in meat. I haven’t made it in 20 years though.

:hushed: