No Weight Loss

(Mike Glasbrener) #121

I’m not sure where you live such that food is SO expensive.

Typical breakfast for me:
A whole avocado heavily salted ~$1-$1.5
achovies fresh ~$3-$4
canned $1.5-$2
I splurge on coffee shop expensive “coffee” till I fix my espresso maker large americano with HWC $3.75

So breakfast high fat very low carb is $2.5-$5.5 without boutique coffee, $3.75 more with

Lunch at a near by high end grocery store/deli
weighed salad bar: handful of fresh spinach,small palm full of salami, small palm full of blue cheese and a tablespoon or two full of blue cheese dressing. ~$4 (I used to have a little more meat but as I’ve progressed it put me into the “stuffed” region rather than saited). Also, at the saad bar I read EVERY fickin’ label to be certain nothing has hidden carbs or sugar. I’m anal about this.
32oz fizzy water $1
So lunch is $5

Dinner… It varys. I can totally eat an inexpensive dinner. It’s usually a fatty meat and a little bit of veggies. If it’s not enough I’ll supplement with cheese or salami.

Soooo keto on a budget is totally doable. I eat so little these days my food budget has totally gone down (except for my non keto family)

Every post of yours seems extremely defensive rather than inquisitive and looking to make changes. Everyone has demons they must deal with to be successful.

A short non all inclusive list:
Food is a source of comfort - probably one of the harder things to overcome - eat to live or live to eat. If you live to eat your life will be shorter.

Unsupportive family - Another hard one. It’s your body and your the only one who puts food in your mouth. Suck it up buttercup and deal with it.

Injuries - A poor excuse keto does not require exercise. However, from a n=1 experiment it sure helps in so many ways.
Knowledge - That’s why the board exists, to help those who are willing to help themselves.

Medical Issues - Well the best way to know is to visit a doctor to get a full check up.

Self destructive behavior - This is likely the worst and what you are dealing with. Only YOU can make the change. Till then you will be defensive of the status quo and deflect any suggestions viewing them as criticism.

This is by far the most civil and intelligent board I’ve been on.It could be that you are the exception. I sincerely doubt it.

I’ve done my best to help and for now I’m done with this thread…

You are hilarious. You can change the username but you can’t change the user.

(Mike Glasbrener) #123

I lied. One last post. $4.95 Keto lunch from the grocery/deli

(David) #124

Mmmmm, Spam Parmesan. Yes please.

(Siobhan) #125

Instead of asking what are sources of fat that aren’t oils/sauces, why not look up some keto recipes and get examples?
Sometimes it helps to start with recipes to get a good idea of what a keto recipe tends to be comprised of.

You could make pot pies, which have a 1.6:1 ratio of fat to protein

You could try some type of soup like this one, again a 1.5:1 ratio of fat to protein

How about some jalapeno poppers for an appetizer or lunch if feeling peckish? 3.3:1 fat:protein!!

Buffalo wings! Add a side of celery (if you like it) and creamy blue cheese dressing (look for one from the store with 1g of carb per 2tbs or less, OR make it yourself) to add some fat and to dip the wings in
1.3:1 ratio without the dipping sauce

Looking for dessert or trying to find a way to add more fat? Why not try some chocolate mousse? 8:1 ratio of fat:protein!

Or some chocolate cheesecake bars 3.6:1 fat:protein. If you can’t handle eggs AT ALL I’m sure someone could help find a substitute for eggs

Pudding, 8.5:1

Milkshake, 5:1 - this has special ingredients but you can find simpler recipes for keto milkshakes around by searching for them

How about one of the seven trillion recipes for keto meatballs (swedish, italian, chinese, etc) 1:1 ratio, but pair it with a dessert or a salad with a fatty dressing and you’re solid

Breakfast? If hungry in the morning you could try some muffins 2.75:1 ratio

“oatmeal” 4:1

Maple pecan bars 6:1

Still not feeling it? Check out what other keto peeps are eating to get an idea
https://www.ketogenicforums.com/c/food/recipes-recipes-recipes

You could even make a thread requesting no-egg recipes, or substitutions for eggs to alter recipes with some egg in it by making a thread in the food category

If your wallet is hurting, you could also check out the “keto on a budget” category for tips and tricks. Personally I find the #1 way to save money is cook in bulk - make loads of chili, meatballs, etc and freeze everything you don’t intend to eat right away. Plus coupons, sales, and store cards or bulk resellers like costco and sam’s club
https://www.ketogenicforums.com/c/food/budget

For the first few months of keto, I cooked exclusively from recipes. I had no idea what was “keto” and how to add more fat, so I just went with that! It gave me a really good idea of how to add more fat without creating a soupy mess, and now I can reliably make keto meals without really needing to think about it. If you feel the main dish is too boring? Add a side of cooked low-carb veg with some dipping sauce or melted butter or high fat cheese on top.

See if this works for you, and see where you get. Try to veer towards recipes with high fat:protein ratios and lower carbs, add some fatty desserts if you want or coffee with cream in it, etc
This should naturally help lower protein and increase fat so you can give ketogenic ratios a true college try.
And don’t be afraid of feeling hungry at first - it takes a while to get fat adapted. Just try and steer towards fattier snacks, getting enough water, and salt, and eventually (as in after a month or two) you should see your appetite start to decrease. This is WITH lower protein and higher fat though. Try it and see if it works for you.

Questions
Help me to understand what to eat.... help
How am I doing?
Savory fat bombs

breakfast costs me £1.10
Lunch costs me £2
Dinner costs me about the same.

Call that £5 a day. YMMV, but for me that’s a lot of money. That’s the cheapest available as well.

If you can’t wrap your head arounf the fact that food can be expensive depending where you live then you’re just being ignorant. Not everyone has a large income. Some people have to rely on charity for their meals so have some humility - and they couldn’t possibly eat keto, let me tell you!

(Todd Allen) #127

Maybe it is different where you live but here in Chicago fat is cheap. For example the leanest ground beef is most expensive and the higher the fat content the cheaper it is. Fatty untrimmed skin on chicken thighs are cheap while lean boneless skinless chicken breast is expensive. Trimmings of pure beef or pork fat when it can be found is cheapest of all. I’ve heard that in some high end expensive stores with in store butchers they trim a lot of fat and throw some away. If you ask you can sometimes get it very cheap.

I’m just curious why you’re eating 3 times a day still if you’ve been doing keto for weeks? I have much better results with eating no more than 2 times a day, most times only OMAD.

Are you eating out for breakfast, lunch, and dinner or cooking at home?

A tasty way to add fat is to make some fat bombs, but I’m sure that was mentioned already. If you’re doing everything keto to the letter, it’s possible your body is taking time to heal. However, if I were you, I’d certainly make sure I was doing everything correctly if no improvements can be found.

(Mike Glasbrener) #131

I did some quick calculations. If that’s British pounds it converts to roughly $6.40 USD. If I had that little left over after everything else I would serious Look to trim lifestyle in some way to leave more for nutrition. Maybe electronics, housing, etc could be trimmed to allow for a healthier food budget. I personally could not eat well on $6.40 a day. Survive, probably and I’d have no budget for carbage which is the lions share of most people’s problems. I would certainly look for a job that allowed a higher food budget though.

Alas, I fear I can not be of more help. Good luck.

Oh wow, yeah I think so. I’m not sure I could have ate for under $7 a day on carbage even. Generally I buy the most economical things, rarely buy organic items… I also don’t eat out much at all, before or after keto.

I eat because i’m hungry.

i eat at home. Eating out would cost a lot more

Did you spend the same amount on food before when you ate carbage? And if so, did you feel full then?

(KB Keto) #136

There’s a lot of info here and well, I didnt read it all. so if I double tap something, sorry!

First, you need to know what your body needs daily, try a calculator like: https://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/ We can help with your diet, but we dont know your personal stats, so start there. Don’t start with more than a 10% deficit at the most until you are fat adapted. otherwise, your spinning your wheels in the mud.

Second, you need to make sure you’re eating the right ratio - 75/20/5 seems to work best for most, but you may want to toy with an 80/15/5 as well. Getting enough fat is the hardest part of the diet while limiting protein.

Third, the study i am in… has found that chicken has a different amino profile that can effect some people’s ability to stay in ketosis. Maybe try cutting the chicken and replacing it with some pork or beef.

Cut down on eating out - tons of hidden carbs and sugars lurk in food that shouldnt contain them…

I hope these things help some.

(Mike Glasbrener) #137

Can you point me to the chicken amino thing? That might explain a short term significant weight gain the day after consuming a couple of chicken thighs and a drum stick. It was a significant deviation from my weight trend which was quite surprising.

(KB Keto) #138

I sent a request for the data from the researcher who told me this at Ohio State - Not sure what he can provide at this time as the study is still ongoing, but during my in-brief the day before I officially started the diet, they went over a bunch of stuff and that was one of the things that stood out, chicken tends to mess with ketosis more than beef or pork, etc. based on the amino profile.

(Mike Glasbrener) #139

I suspected the chicken… Prior to that I was dropping ~3.5lbs/wk fairly linearly with some noise but right along the trend line. The day after I had the chicken my weight popped up 2.5lbs. That is about double any other pop up in weight and pushed significantly off my trend line. That lead me to suspect the chicken as that was the only anomalous thing I remembered. However, I didn’t have hard proof. I’m now on holiday and will have several life events that make standard trend lines harder so I don’t know how easier distilling cause/effect will be. For the time I’ll exclude chicken unless you pals want another data point.

(Kathryn) #140

Seems that others may offer advice to try to help, but maybe you need to figure this out for yourself. Our bodies are all different and you may need to tweek things to see a weight loss. I think we might need to let you explore Keto and give it a fair shake. You may need to up your fat, or you may need to lower your protein. You may need to fast. You may need to check to see if you are in ketosis. All of this is a process and a learning curve. There is plenty of “science” but I think you need to figure out what works for YOU. Let go of having to know and just focus on the process. Best to you!