Help me to understand what to eat.... help

(Eiva) #1

hi…
After trying all sort of diets and struggle to lose weight i have decided to give a go to Keto…
i started last week and i dropped 2kg in just 6days which felt amazing… BUT am just struggling to keep fat intake up… I have no idea what to eat. I am vegeterian but I have started last week to eat chicken for the first time after 12y … I could mentally prepare myself and eat fully fat chicken or fish but I cant eat red meats… I been eating a lot avocados which i am getting literally sick now… my eggs been swimming in coconut fat, seems all veg has carbs… Yesterday I had bulletproof coffee in morning with lots of butter, then i had chia seed pudding, for lunch i had chicken with avocado salad and in evening i been snacking nuts…My whole last week been almost the same. and some slice of full fat cheese. Today after whole week that look of avocados and chicken made me sick lol… so taken break today… decided to do research, find some low carb vegeterian recipes, food list and start tomorrow again…
I live in UK all flavoured yoghurts has carbs…
Do you have any foods/snacks suitable for keto here in UK?
thank you…

(Todd Allen) #2

Yes all veg has carbs but if you avoid the starchy ones like potatoes and minimize sugary ones like carrots you can eat a lot, especially if you don’t have an issue with fiber and can go by net carbs versus total carbs.

I eat a lot of green salads with walnuts, pecans, pine nuts, sunflower and hemp seeds, many cheeses, etc. making my own dressings from ev olive oil, butter, sour cream, egg yolks, tahini and nut butters. For my health I gave up eating vegetarian and started eating organ meats and animal fats. Chicken, goose or duck liver pate made with a lot of butter and cream is a great keto food and I enjoy it with most any veg such as radish or celery. Cocoa butter is another great fat, particularly good for making desserts.

(Eiva) #3

thank you…
Yes the sauces is actually the only way I get enough fat…
Also chicken and other meats has a lot protein…
Dont heavy meat eaters get more protein than fat?
I have been invited to BBQ next week to try sheep meat first time in my life…
my parents probably gonna kill me but well…
:smiley:

(Arlene) #4

I think lamb is one of those meats that you either like or you don’t. My daughter loves it. My husband and I think it’s unpalatable. I hope you enjoy the barbecue.

Have you browsed through the recipes section of this forum?

Here’s the link:

https://www.ketogenicforums.com/c/food/recipes-recipes-recipes

• a good snack that is high fat and good healthy salt are green olives. I like them stuffed with jalapeños or feta cheese.
  • if you can tolerate dairy, high fat sour sour creme is delicious with just about anything.
  • a little bit of butter eaten with a chicken breast helps bring the fat content up.

(Siobhan) #8

Hi! Don’t feel as if you have to restrict all veggies, plenty do but you’re not required to.
Yes, all veggies have carbs but you’re trying to stay under 20g NET carbs (total carb minus fiber) to start, plenty of veggies are perfectly okay

• Dark leafy greens like lettuce and spinach
  • Cauliflower and broccoli (carbs can creep up on this so just keep an eye on it)
  • Celery (good for broth)
  • onions and carrots in moderation (I usually use them for broth)
    etc
    Just google “keto vegetables” and it should give you a pretty good idea
    Not eating red meat is fine, you don’t have to. I in fact know there are some vegetarian keto’ers around.
    Chicken thighs are fattier than the breast (and usually cheaper!) and fatty fish are aplenty.
    If you like curry you could try out saag paneer (an indian spinach curry) - it’s made with heavy cream for the sauce!
    You could also try out some keto thai curry made with coconut milk/fat if you can’t tolerate dairy

Do you like cooking, or would you rather keep it simple?
Simple foods include: Lettuce wraps (I do deli meat, cheese, mayo, avocado, and mustard on romaine lettuce), breakfast sausage and eggs, meatballs made with finely shredded mozzerella and Parmesan instead of breadcrumbs, fettucine alfredo with noodles made from egg and cream cheese (seriously takes like 10 or 15 minutes), etc

More complicated/involved recipes include: curry, chili (favorite recipe: caveman chili), substitution foods like muffins or cheesecake (some people react badly to artificial/alternative sweeteners, something to keep in mind), fat bombs are great for getting fat intake up - they usually are a dessert, fathead pizza, chicken pot pie with fathead pizza dough as the crust, etc

If you have issue thinking of what to eat you can browse through recipes on Ruled.me, I Breathe I’m Hungry, Low Carb Yum, or Diet Doctor

Or as mentioned our very own recipes section.
I also wrote up a post a while ago addressing the question of how to load up on fat without having to resort to food figuratively swimming in butter which you can take a look at here