KetoAide homemade

ketoaid
electrolyte
extendedfast
newbies
fasting

(Diane) #239

I had problems using the magnesium citrate oral solution. It tastes sweet to me and seemed to make me hungry. It also had the very unfortunate effect of giving me diarrhea. I take magnesium glycinate about a 1/2 to 1 hour before bedtime.

I also just purchased this magnesium recommended by @SlowBurnMary. I’ve been putting 1/2 ounce in a couple of liters of ketoaide each day for the past week.

https://www.angstrom-minerals.com/collections/magnesium-supplements

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #240

There is a trace amount of saccharin in the Magnesium Citrate.
Trace.
Not enough to interrupt a fast.
When you mix up the KetoAide you’re mixing 24 oz of water and literally a half a tablespoon of the Magnesium Citrate.

A half a tbsp in 24 oz of water! That’s one and a half TEASPOONS.

People ask me often about my KetoAide that I have been sharing for a couple years now on social media.
I use the recipe for my IDM clients and recommend it in my monthly group fasts on their website. Dr. Jason Fung and Megan Ramos approve of it because of its benign affect.
Why? Because the amount of saccharin in a half a tablespoon of magnesium citrate mixed with 24 oz of water is absolutely miniscule and TRACE. Not something that you can taste even, and definitely not something that would interrupt autophagy (which can interrupted by protein, such as in bone broth)
The trace amount of saccharin in the Magnesium Citrate does not raise insulin at all and it definitely does not cause an insulin spike.

Again, Megan and Jason approved my posting of the KetoAide recipe in the IDM communities and on my monthly Membership Community Group Fast.

I’m so happy my little inexpensive invention has helped so many over the years.
People tell me all the time how It’s made fasting a breeze for them.

If you are still concerned, don’t use it.
I see no reason for concern.

(Michael Cunningham) #241

Thanks @Brenda for this, I’ve been using it for the last 9 months, everytime I fast. it’s been working great for me, and I’m in a fasting discord group, and i’ve shared it with everyone there (with links back to this post), and it’s come in very handy, to say the least! I appreciate your work with this!

(Jane) #242

That’s a good idea! More convenient to pack that mix for work than hauling a glass bottle back and forth and keeping it in the fridge. Or taking -23 bottles premade when I am fasting.

(Casey Crisler) #243

Made my first batch yesterday. Got three smaller bottles of it to use during or right after hiking. Can’t wait to see how it does. I did use pink Himalayan salt though since I haven’t bought the other kind yet.

(Michael Cunningham) #244

@Janie, watch out when you mix the two, as the Magnesium Citrate will foam up a lot. At least mine did, because it was carbonated.

(Hoby Bradfield) #245

So, I have a silly question for the group… I make the Ketoaide and keep it in the fridge… and when I drink a glass, it tastes like salt water, but it has the feel of milk in my mouth…
is it just me, or has anyone else noticed this?

Can’t reply about the ‘milk feel’ in the mouth, since I don’t recall getting this. But I find the salt makes the water have a flat taste to it. … Also might depend on what all you add, unless you follow the recipe to the letter?

I personally have been making mine like this for months now. … ( 1/2 tbsp. Magnesium Citrate, 1/2 tbsp. Lemon Juice and 1 tbsp. Apple Cider Vinegar.) I also prefer the Cherry Flavor, though this is not a big deal really. Have used the Lemon and Grape as well. … Grape would be second.

Is this a good buy, and sensible?

ELECTROLYTE POWDER NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION

Nutrition per 1g Serving per 100g
Sodium (Na) 260mg 26g
Potassium (K) 77mg 7.7g
Calcium (Ca) 47mg 4.7g
Magnesium (Mg) 7.5mg 0.75g

ELECTROLYTE POWDER INGREDIENTS

Sodium Chloride, Potassium Sulphate, Calcium Hydrogen Phosphate Anhydrous, Magnesium Oxide.

It’s from https://www.bulkpowders.co.uk

Thank you.

(Running from stupidity) #248

Here’s the one I use, for comparison purposes.

I really struggled to find one down here with no carbs.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #249

This type of magnesium isn’t well absorbed at all. If you want to be sure you’re getting enough magnesium buy a separate magnesium supplement such as glycinate or malate which are much better absorbed. The original KetoAide recipe has magnesium citrate which is the most absorbable form of magnesium. Unfortunately oxide is the least absorbable form.

Thank you.

Any Aussies out there been able to find a flavoured Magnesium Citrate liquid in stores? Looking in my chemist today all I found were tablets.

Ignore that question. Just found this link- Keto aid/ade for Australian's

(Running from stupidity) #253

This is what I use for mine.

Thanks. What sweetener does your cordial use? I have the no sugar Cottee’s cordial which has sucralose. (BTW What’s the final word on sucralose as a sweetener? Good or bad?)

(Running from stupidity) #255

Sweeteners (952, 950, 955)

[952] cyclamate

[950] acesulphame potassium

[955] sucralose

And yeah, not sure. I’m sure I can find people on both sides of the argument :slight_smile:

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #256

Sucralose isn’t as bad as a Ace K or aspartame but all sweeteners raise insulin. If your goal is weight loss you want to keep the artificial sweetener use to a minimum. My original KetoAide recipe has liquid magnesium citrate which is sweetened with saccharin. But since only a teaspoon and a half of that liquid magnesium citrate is used in a quart of water, it’s a trace amount and not enough to spike insulin.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #257

EDIT:
I’ll continue November’s Zornfast thread if anybody wants to fast with me next week. Monday November 26 through Friday November 30th

That sounds like a winner! :+1: I would definitely be game for that. :slight_smile: