KetoAide homemade

ketoaid
electrolyte
extendedfast
newbies
fasting

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #208

3000 to 6000 mg of sodium is recommended for most low carb people. I always tell people aim for minimum 1.5 teaspoons of salt per day. This translates to 3450 mg of SODIUM, as salt has 2300 mg of sodium per teaspoon.
So yes, depending on how much KetoAide I consume, I do eat additional salt.

(Tania M) #209

Hi all, I will start by saying I live in Canada (I saw a mention for help from a Canadian in an earlier post).

I intermittent fast, but work in factory that gets pretty hot in the summer. The plant provided us with Gatorade last week and I was looking for a better alternative. I started Keto January 1st, but have been eating way too much non-keto friendly foods lately and need to get back on track so anything I can do to help I will try.

So for my ketoade, I found the magnesium citrate very easily, they only had 1 bottle, it was lemon and $5.
I also picked up a Mio type product but the Canadian store brand Presidentā€™s Choice, because it is cheaper and PC branded items are all free of artificial colours, flavours, preservatives, etc. I chose Lemonade to go with the lemon magnesium, ingredients are water, citric acid, malic acid, natural flavour, potassium citrate, stevia extract, beta-carotene, potassium sorbate. So 1g carbs per 1/2 tsp.

When I made my ketoade, I used a 40oz insulated steel bottle, it was 1/2 full of ice, then topped with water, I added 1/4 tsp regular salt, and 1 tbsp of the magnesium. I have never used a Mio type product and put 2 squirts in my bottle. Wow, that was way stronger than I expected and I topped my bottle several times throughout the day. I drank the last little bit after dinner. Although the flavour was interesting and good, I will try one small squirt tomorrow.

Also for some TMI, after dinner tonight, I had to run to the bathroom twice, and my stomach hurt. Loose BM are not really that odd for me, but the stomach pain was. Tomorrow I will also cut the magnesium in half. I am also starting with much less ice.

I also wanted to mention Nuun, I carry Nuun for when I am stuck, I also put it in that 40oz bottle (they say put it in 16oz), and one tablet of Tropical Fruit is 4g of carbs and 1 g of sugar. This may vary slightly from flavour to flavour. I figure when I am sweating like a stuck pig or doing a 70k+ bike ride, I can manage the carbs and sugar, especially if I super dilute it.

I am open to comments and suggestions (positive and negative, but please not rude). I am here to learn.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #210

Some people react very strongly to even a small amount of magnesium citrate. This might be you.

(Tania M) #211

It didnā€™t last long, so it wasnā€™t that big of a deal, but I will find out tomorrow (but I will slightly reduce the magnesium). lol

(Shayne) #212

Save your big glass San Pel bottles to premake your ketoaide.

(Jane) #213

Question on the sodium and fasting. It is stated we need about 3000 mg sodium per dayā€¦

And 4 of your ketoaids when you are fasting only gives you 1160 mg of sodium.

Do you supplement with other sodium or is that enough sodium when fasting?

(Marfi) #215

Just looked at the ingredients in the Massel bouillon cubes I use during fasting - and omg - does EVERYTHING have to have sugar in it!!! Argh!

Some of the nasties in these cubes are: maize maltodextrin, cane sugar, caramelised sugar syrup and sunflower oil.

Can anyone recommend some good, healthy bouillon cubes for fasting? I donā€™t always have home made bone broth on hand.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #216

Yes, of course I eat additional sodium.
The ketoaide is only a supplement, not the sum total of all the electrolytes we may need in a day

(Jane) #217

Ok thanks. How do you get the extra sodium when water fasting? Do you just put the rock salt under your tongue?

This is my second water fast and Iā€™ve only been drinking the ketoaid for electrolytes while fasting. Didnā€™t think about needing extra sodium.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #218

If you measure out 1.5 teaspoons at the start of each day and eat pinches throughout the day, you will likely have adequate sodium. Use it any way youā€™d like. In water, under your tongue, eating it.

(KCKO, KCFO) #219

Someone in one of the threads mentioned they make bigger pots of bone broth, then freeze in it in pint jars. I didnā€™t have enough space in my fridge. So I just make extra bone broth and freeze it in old ice cube trays. Take out one and add to hot water when I feel I need some broth for fasting and donā€™t have any fresh made on hand. Couldnā€™t find a good one in the grocery stores, so I started doing this.

I think Iā€™ve been fortunate so far? But did have a bad leg cramp in my left calf two nights in a row, back in my second or third week? When the Invisible Gorilla grabbed hold and squeezed, it shot me out of bed and took a few minutes to get the damn thing to stop tightening. (I havenā€™t had a leg cramp in so long, I canā€™t remember when it was) ā€¦ But nothing after those two episodesā€¦ until this morning.

I woke at 4:30am, with both legs starting to tighten up quickly, from the calves down. And I knew what was coming, but was able to just walk around and stretch them out before that Gorilla showed up! :slight_smile:

So yeah, I think I will be giving this KetoAide a try soon. But I do have a question.

When drinking this, does it make you want to drink more or less? Reason I ask, is that I already drink a LOT of water. Average for weekdays is probably around 1.5 to 2 gallons, and weekends can be even more, around 3 sometimes? But I do sweat a lot, so I stay quite thirsty.

Iā€™m already familiar with Magnesium Citrate. For nearly 20 years, Iā€™ve used it whenever I had upset stomach for few days, and yep, the entire bottle. I did it maybe once ever year or two, so maybe 10-12 times so far. And itā€™s still hard as hell to get down without gagging! :slight_smile:

(Shayne) #221

I think I actually drink less on days that I have a liter of ketoaid right after I finish my coffee.

(KCKO, KCFO) #222

The ketoaide replaces some of my normal water. I drink a LOT of water as well. Good to get some supplementation in that way with ketoaide.

I acidentally bought Calcium Magnesium Citrate (online). Does this matter? It isnā€™t a clear liquid, but milky looking. I hate wasting money!

(KCKO, KCFO) #233

Since you need both calcium and mag. shouldnā€™t be a problem. Calcium citrate is good for muscle issues.

Thank you!

(Miranda ) #235

The magnesium citrate tastes like carbs too meā€¦is saccharin sodium carbs?

I have chronic constipation (started way before going keto) so I want to up the magnesium but am worried it will effect my carbsā€¦thereā€™s no nutrition facts on the bottle I have.

Also- Iā€™m adding Creatine and lemon juiceā€¦open to comments about this too.

Iā€™m tempted to do stevia but I get that it could spike insulin so Iā€™m going to try to get used to the taste as is. I love the cherry flavored citrateā€¦I wish I could add the whole bottle but I have a feeling the saccahrin is not good.

(Shayne) #237

I use approximately 1/4 tsp pink salt with a full tbs of magnesium citrate in my San Pellegrino 25oz bottles. I only drink one per day, but I also supplement with an Rx potassium supplement and magnesium glycinate at night.

If you were to add the whole bottle, saccharin would be the last of your worries! :flushed: ā€¦ Iā€™ve used this many times over the years, and lets just say it works well.

The half tbsp in the mix, (or 1 tbsp per day if doing two), should not effect you really. But some people are different, so I canā€™t say for sure that it wonā€™t. I would definitely keep an eye on it. If anything, It should help to go if thatā€™s an issue.