Foolproof mayonnaise

This is the only mayo recipe I’ve ever succeeded at making. Most recipes require patience but this you just throw everything in and it works perfectly.

http://thehealthyfoodie.com/fail-proof-home-made-paleo-mayo-whole30-compliant/

How to use lots of eggs
Mayo with avocado oil
Mayo
Looking For Pointers/Words Of Advice/Etc
(G. Andrew Duthie) #2

Immersion blender and a container narrow enough to just fit the blender are apparently key. This is the only way we’ve ever made mayo at home, and it has never broken on us.

Keto Recipe Fails
(G. Andrew Duthie) #3

BTW - I heartily recommend the use of avocado oil for homemade mayo. The flavor is much lighter than olive oil, and it’s a very healthy oil. The light flavor of avocado oil means that any flavors you add (dill, garlic, mustard, etc.) will come through more clearly.

(jketoscribe) #4

I never liked mayo until I learned to make my own. I use lemon juice from our Meyer lemons and no mustard. So good I could eat it with a spoon. And it literally takes 30 seconds with an immersion blender.

I take an egg straight from the fridge. You do not need to have everything warmed to roomtemo, BTW.

(flyferretschef) #5

Now I’m so inspired! I have fresh eggs (from my girls, my backyard chickens) and fresh mayo with avocado oil sounds terrific! Just need to get some lemons.

(G. Andrew Duthie) #6

Vinegar works as well. Just needs the acid to help prevent/reduce bacterial growth. And for flavor, of course.

(brian) #7

Just made this with avocado oil. Wow foolproof is right!

(jketoscribe) #8

It’s mostly foolproof but I’ve had my failures–never know exactly why. If you do have a failure, instead of throwing all that expensive oil away, you can try to add an egg yolk and see if will emulsify, or make it into a quick Ceasar dressing by adding the appropriate spices.

Anyone have a recipe for baconnaise?

(Ross Daniel) #10

no, but I’m going to develop one by god!

(Shawn) #11

Mayonnaise

• ¼ cup Bacon Fat
  • ¾ cup Avocado oil
  • 1 Egg
  • 1 tsp Dijon Mustard
  • 1 TBSP Lemon Juice or ACV
  • ½ tsp Salt
  • pinch of cayenne

Everything into the processor except oil (I actually use an old pickle jar and a stick blender). Add the oil to a squeeze bottle and drizzle the oil real slow. Add drop by drop for a few minutes, then slowly increase the amount of oil. After 1/2 of the oil is in it’s okay tho add it faster. Once all the oil is gone and you have the consistency of mayo you’re good. (If making for chicken/tuna/egg salad, add 2 chipotle peppers in adobo to kick it up a notch.)

I make the Mayo above usually to make the blue cheese below dressing below (it’s the only way I’ll eat salad).

Blue Cheese Dressing

• ½ cup Blue Cheese, crumbled and divided
  • ½ cup Mayonnaise
  • ¼ cup Sour Cream
  • 1 oz. Cream Cheese
  • TBSP Lemon Juice
  • ½ tsp Dry Mustard, 1 tsp Worcestershire, S&P

Blend smooth stir in ¼ cup Blue Cheese.

Thank you @Shakenbake I will try this! This is what I was looking for.

(Shawn) #13

You’re welcome. If you want it more bacony, do a 50/50 bacon fat to Avocado oil. Only problem with that it gets pretty thick after refrigeration, but… you can pull it out 15-20 prior and it will loosen up a bit.

Thanks for the tip. I had been reading that people were having some problems using straight bacon grease. I think I’ll start with the first recipe. Also I will try your Blue Cheese dressing. That looks really good too.

dkat

I love this easy mayo recipe. It is easy, tasty and easy to personalise. Also improved my fat intake. Did i say it was easy. Thank you @Vega .for postng.

That sounds amazing, I’m definitely trying that. I bet it would be great on
burgers.

(Larry Lustig) #17

You could make mayonnaise from motor oil and cat pee and I’d probably eat it with a spoon.

In this recipe, when you say “except the oil” does the bacon fat go with the oil or the other ingredients?

(jketoscribe) #18

:joy:

(Shawn) #19

Nope, my bad that wasn’t clear.
I combine the bacon fat (melt if necessary) and the Avocado oil in a squeezer bottle to help with slow delivery in the beginning.

Thank you for the great instructions along with beautiful pictures! I plan to try this if my Kitchen Aid stick fits into the pint mason jar.