Mayo

Just tried Sir Kensington avocado oil mayonnaise and it was amazing!!! Goodby canola oil mayo😛

And I also found primal kitchen Greek vinaigrette made with avocado oil…,and that’s equally amazing. I know, I know…I can make my own, but being the only Keto humanoid in my household makes it less wasteful to buy good products :upside_down_face:

(Keto in Katy) #3

I love mayo but I am always reluctant to eat it when we go out. It tastes way too sweet at some places.

Will try the Sir Kensington, thanks for the recommendation. If anyone is wondering here is the nutrition info panel from their website:

(Larry Lustig) #4

I just started making my own mayonnaise last weekend (using the foolproof mayonnaise recipe elsewhere on this site) and find it’s much more economical to make a cup at the weekend for use during the week rather than keep a larger container around. Plus, I’m enjoying experiment with flavors.

How long does it stay fresh? I only eat Mayo once or twice a month. I tried once to make Mayo, and it was a dismal failure, so now I have no confidence :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

(Larry Lustig) #6

I think I tried years ago (pre-keto) with poor results, but this recipe really does seem foolproof:

I think mayonnaise stays fresh for a very long time in the fridge. The minimum you can make is a cup (one egg) but you should be able to go through that on a week or two.

I’ve bookmarked the recipe…I’ll have to swallow my fear and try one more time!
Thanks!

(Stickin' with mammoth) #8

I use this recipe with 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar, 2 teaspoons regular white vinegar, and either light olive or avocado oil.

The first try came out perfection but I effed up the next three. You have to add that oil reeeeeaaaaallllly slowly.

(Larry Lustig) #9

With the recipe I cited you just have to dump the stuff in the jar and blend away. It’s miraculous.

(jketoscribe) #10

I make my own mayo but it really only lasts about 2 weeks. You can extend it by adding a little whey from home fermented dairy (yogurt or kefir) or using the whey in place of lemon juice.

The foodnetwork one was the one I tried…just a big greasy loose mess!

Larry, this one looks doable…I’m gonna try it as soon as my sir Kensington is gone…I’ll report back :grimacing:

(Stickin' with mammoth) #13

Oooo, it’s fluffy and flavorful when it works. Pretty much the best mayo I’ve ever had.

(Laura) #14

I recently made my own mayo with MCT oil and apple cider vinegar. It was okay, but next time I think I will try lemon juice. And maybe mix the MCT oil with some other kind.

And if you make your own oil and vinegar Italian type dressing, I cheat and use good seasonings, MCT oil and ACV make it taste so good…

I buy MCT oil by the gallon.

(Crow T. Robot) #15

You actually don’t have to bother with that at all if you use an immersion blender. Just throw all the ingredients including the oil in a mason jar and give it a minute to separate. Then stick in the blender all the way to the bottom and blend away. Works like a charm every time.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #16

Yeah, but this way: free arm workout.

(Jessica) #17

Yes! I used this recipe last week and it was incredibly easy. Seriously, in less than 2 minutes start to finish I had a jar of mayo.

(Crow T. Robot) #18

Bro, do you even whisk?

(Stickin' with mammoth) #19

Duh, whaddaya think the arm workout is from? And I’m gonna consider Bro short for Broad.

(Laura) #20

Thanks for the tip.