Foolproof mayonnaise

Here’s an alternative recipe for baconnaise. Doesn’t turn hard in fridge, and stays as a mayonnaise texture. Also, it has 100% bacon nectar without need for blending other oils.

It’s technically a “crema” and not a mayonnaise, because there is no egg in it.

Tried the standard mayonnaise last night, not good. I put it down to the mustard being open for a while and not sure about 100% avocado. Will try again tonight with 50% light olive oil and leave out the mustard. I’m determined to get this right.

ahhh so fresh djon and light olive oil. Started egg, salt, lemon juice and 1 cup 50:50 avocado oil : olive oil no emulsification was like water. Added dijon no emulsification, added apple cider viniger no emulsification :cry:

What is going on? is it the light olive oil?

Place in refrigerator for a bit to cool down. See if there is a texture change. It usually stiffens up in the fridge when it cools.

Thanks, it’s already in the bin :frowning: third attempt tomorrow. Any tips? I’m thinking avocado oil and standard extra virgin 50:50.

In the bin??!!! No! :scream:

Have patience. Work through the steps. Sometimes a silly little thing like only a few degrees of temperature will do the trick.

Also, next time, if texture is a problem, take a photo, like how the sauce drips off the back of a spoon. There are people in this forum with lots of expertise in the kitchen that would be able to spot something and provide advice.

I did it! I read this post with instructions, went home and found the smallest taller glass that still fit my immersion head, and it worked perfectly. So easy. Unfortunately, I ate all the mayo already. A cup of oil can be a little pricey if I go through it in a day. LOL. Thanks tons for the recipe!

(Shawn) #28

Costco has a ginormous bottle of avocado oil for right around ten bucks.

(johnp71) #29

Grapeseed oil… yes or no? I read different things on different websites and I can’t figure out if it’s bad for me or not.

No on grape seed oil for me because of high omega 6

Third time lucky made it by hand, used avocado oil, light olive oil and extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice, djion and salt. I think the dijon is the flavour i’m not sure of also a bit too oily. I’m too used to the industrial stuff :unamused:

(migorstmarseille) #32

Just made a quick mayo recipe with:

1 egg
1 cup Olive oil
Juice 1/2 lemon
Salt 1/2 tbsp

I put the immersion blender to the very and held it there for 20 to 30 seconds and then brought it up slowly. Perfect mayo in 90 seconds, no breakup. It’s a little on the bitter side due to the olive oil.

(KCKO, KCFO) #33

I don’t put the mustard in mine, the trick to right consistence seems to be the gentle raising and lowering of the hand blender in the narrow container. I also find it is nicer if I blend for a few secs. stop, stir it gently and then finish the blending, You need to make sure the egg gets distributed well, it is a prime emulsifier in this recipe, esp. so if you skip the mustard. I use only avocado oil (thanks Costco for making it affordable) and really prefer it to any thing else I have eaten that calls itself mayo. Hope you have continuing good luck with it.

(matt ) #34

Made a nice mayo yesterday but I got greedy and tried to add a bit more oil and broke it. So now i have a jar of egg oil in my fridge… I will add it to scrambled eggs or something. Until next time.

(G. Andrew Duthie) #35

What kind of container did you use?

(matt ) #36

Reused a glass jar that was just wide enough for the stick blender to go in. I had a pretty mayo but I added more oil to see if I could make it a bit more loose and it went all the way loose. I tossed it in the fridge and it thickened up and would hold together when you shook it. So i added a bit more Dijon and had it as a sauce with my asparagus.

Got to try this! How important is the speed of the stick blender? I don’t have one and they sell them at 2-spread up to 6. Is this something has to be super high speed and done fast, or using a slower speed taking longer is the same?

(G. Andrew Duthie) #38

I use a Cuisinart stick mixer. Only one speed.

And I don’t use the whisk attachment, just the blender attachment.

I just buy BestFoods mayo. It works for me. There’s so much extra work and extra food prep eating keto, so mayo is just one thing I buy pre-made.

Thanks @devhammer - that is reassuring as not sure I want to get one of those fancy ones…

Anyone has experience with the Sir Kensington class mayo? I get these in packets from the grocery store I go to and has been “snacking” on them. I think they have sugar in it, but I am so new to mayo just curious if it’s “in the ballpark” alright