Mayo with avocado oil

(Ross Daniel) #1

I’m lazy. I will end up making my own mayo at some point, but I snagged this stuff at Whole Foods the other day in the mean time. Has a great flavor. Best part is, it is soybean oil free! 2 keto thumbs up!

(G. Andrew Duthie) #2

Any sweeteners? We used to get the regular Sir Kensington’s (and their chipotle variant), but after making our own mayo at home, I find it way too sweet.

Just looked at their website…contains sugar. Personally, I’d pass on it. Yes, it’s 0g per serving, but that could mean as much as 0.49g per Tbsp. More than I’d want to take on, and as mentioned above, would likely taste sweet to me.

But definitely a +1 for the lack of soy, so if you’re good with the flavor, go for it. But do make your own some time…with a stick mixer and a narrow vessel, it’s easier than you might think, and tastes great.

(Ross Daniel) #3

I don’t use a ton so I’m not too worried about the minimal amount of sugar. Doesn’t taste sweet to me, but I grew up on miracle whip so yeah…:laughing:

I do really want to make my own soon though, for sure.

(Mark) #4

Mark sisson has a primal Mayo with Avocado oil that has no sugar,I use that and and it’s pretty good,on the fourth day of a fast so anything sounds good right now,been looking at the food on here is making it rough

Mark - You beat me to it, I like Primal too:

(Mark) #6

Good stuff

(Guardian of the bacon) #7

Just made my first attempt at home made avocado mayo yesterday. It turned out awesome. Immersion blender in a tight container.

(Mark) #8

Need to give this a shot,have cut back on the Mayo since quitting bread, but I do like egg salad and chicken salad, Im sure homemade would taste best,need to step up my game,getting inspired by all the foodies on here

(jketoscribe) #9

Can I just tease you a little?

If you have an immersion blender, IMHO it’s a lot “lazier” to make your own mayo rather than schlepping to the store and reading all the labels to try to find a decent commercial mayo without horrible stuff in it. I can make it in 60 seconds flat from grabbing the blender and blending cup through licking the spoon because homemade tastes so great! (Never liked commercial mayo). :smirk:

I agree with Janknitz. Super duper easy, and the money you save can increase quantity mayo yield. And much fresher, too. Goodness knows how long jarred and canned sauce sit on the shelf.

Do you have your simple recipe? I have attempted mayo many times always failing. What tight, narrow jar have you used that still fits the immersion blender?

Here’s the tall container I use to make mayo. You don’t have to spend money and go buy this one. Any tall, narrow, round container will do.

I don’t follow recipes for mayo…I basically wing it…start with egg yolks, slowly pour in fat until I get consistency I want, and then add flavourings at the end. It’s easy.

But, here’s a recipe if you need it:

(Guardian of the bacon) #13

Our latest blender came with a blending jar. I too have had multiple fails when just trying to use a standard mixing bowl. This last batch was the first that came out nice and thick. I don’t understand the science but a blending jar that the immersion blender just nicely slides in and out of seems to be the secret.

(Annika) #14

I have a blog post with a mayo recipe plus a very short video showing how easy and super-fast it is to make your own mayo. I use a wide-mouth pint mason jar. In the video (below) I used a pint-and-a-half jar because I was scared of getting mayo spatters all over my kitchen, but a pint jar works just fine.

I just made some yesterday using vinegar instead of lemon juice (I have eliminated citrus for a while), and it’s not nearly as good. :confused:

http://prettygoodpaleo.tumblr.com/post/113444684800/want-to-feel-like-a-magician-make-mayonnaise

http://prettygoodpaleo.tumblr.com/post/120306764365/this-is-how-easy-it-is-to-make-mayonnaise-dump-in

(Ross Daniel) #15

Oh I know, I need to just make my own. But here is the deal, I’m professional lazy. Let me give you an idea of what I mean:

So the story goes, there was this toothpaste company, and they had a QA/QC packaging issue. The issue was, occasionally their packaging machine wouldn’t put a toothpaste tube into the box before it got sealed. The boxes then left on a conveyor and wound up on a pallet and the stores were receiving empty boxes, which was no good.

They held a big meeting, did a lot of pre-engineering work and decided that an advanced scale system was their best bet. They bid it out and a very reputable engineering firm got the job. They wanted to make sure they squashed that problem like a bug and what better way than to throw money at it? What they came up with wasn’t just a scale to determine if the boxes were empty or not, no, it had built in lot number tracking, laser barcode scanner, trending historian system, you name it. It even had a big bright stack light and buzzer to alert the operators there was an error so they could correct it in short order.

So, anyway, when it was all said and done, this new system cost the company several hundred grand and it worked like a dream! The big bosses were happy and all was right in the world. That is, until after a few weeks, the QA/QC manager noticed that the reports that the fancy machine generated showed there were no faults or errors all of a sudden. It had literally found 0 empty boxes. This was odd, they hadn’t changed anything up stream. So, he went to investigate what was up. He found a $12 fan had been setup just ahead of the half million dollar advanced weight scale scanner system that was pointed perpendicular to the converyor belt, and it was blowing all of the empty boxes off the belt into a bin just on the other side. He walked around to find the operator kicked back in his chair with his feet propped up, and confronted him about it. He asked “What do you think you’re doing?” The operator’s reply was simply “I got tired of that fucking buzzer, so I fixed the problem.”

Ok, so not really. But I will say that I was already at the store, so yeah it just lept into the basket and that was that. I promise. I will make my own soon!

(jketoscribe) #16

I use a glass 1 cup measuring cup most of the time.

My recipe:
1 egg
1tbsp lemon juice (we have Meyer lemons!)
1 pinch of salt
Enough oil (avocado or light olive oil or a combo) to bring the total volume to 1 cup.

I don’t like mustard in my mayo but some add it.

Drop everything in the container in order. Don’t worry about the temperature of the egg–it really doesn’t matter!

Place the immersion blender in the bottom of the container. Start blending. Hold the immersion blender in the bottom of the container and count to 20. Then slowly lift it to pull in the rest of the oil.

That’s all you’ve got to do.

(Ross Daniel) #17

I have avocado oil. I will give this a shot!

(Ian Stavert) #18

I also have “motivational” issues, and fear of failure, about making my own mayo. But I do make on that I like - I like a pouring mayo on my salads, not too runny but will coat the leaves, etc. So I use plain yoghurt, some cream cheese, some lemon juice, some avocado or olive oil, and some water and salt, and mix it all up in one of those plastic milk-shake makers. Yum yum.