(Final thoughts/recap as I reach the end) Time To Try An Extended Fast! 21 Days or Bust

Thank you! It was a bit easier than I thought, but I will attribute it to keto talk most of the time.

Day 3 - I hate you :angry: But this is the longest I have ever gone

CW: 291.5 lbs

Still cigarette free!

Welp, It was impossible to get out of bed this morning. I laid in bed from 6am to 9am just trying to get up for work. I made my first batch of salt water today and even though it was awful to choke down during the day I did not have my dull headache.

I did/do have the 3rd day hunger and urge to quit, but I won’t! I had to skip our team lunch today and hide in a conference room otherwise I don’t think I would have made it. When I got home from work I was tempted to eat so I took a long walk with my dog, chugged a ton of water & now I am chugging more water and watching Sugar Coated. For some reason since starting the documentary I have not been hungry!

My new game is to weigh myself before and after peeing just because I am immature lol

Thanks for letting me journal my adventure and all comments, suggestions & criticisms are welcomed and appreciated

(eat more) #12

LMAO! :blush:

(David) #13

At least you are not weighing the pee to make sure the maths works!

Seriously though, I think you are doing great. For what is worth, I don’t think you can overestimate the value of having something to do when the going gets rough, whether it’s walking the dog, watching a video or hiding in the conference room.

As long as you have an “if this, then that…” solution I feel confident you will keep succeeding.

Day 4 - What is with these dreams!?

Last night I had a dream that I was on a yacht with an old co-worker (super random) driving around a harbor shooting $20 bills out of a money shooting gun at smaller boats!? WTF is going on here lol. I heard you get wild dreams, but wow!

The day was not a big deal, smells at lunch bothered me a bit but was not a huge deal. I started getting cramps in my legs :o I came to the understanding for my size and fast I should cut back my water to closer to 3L per day so I don’t flush the electrolytes. Sleep as a whole hasn’t been the best 5-6 hrs per night, but I am not tired. I am cold a lot. So far I am loving it! Sunday I weighed 295lb this morning I am 285.6lb

(Nathan Hall) #15

If you haven’t done it yet, make some of Brenda’s Keto-aid.

I’ve found it helpful for getting rid of cramps and other issues associated with electrolyte deficit​.
It seems to deliver electrolytes in a quick and accessable form. Congratulations on the 10lbs loss, and happy fasting.

(Michelle) #16

You are doing great!! I just bookmarked this thread so I can follow your journey. I quit smoking cold turkey about 15 years ago. Best. thing. ever.!!!

Keep us posted daily on crushing your goals!

Thanks! I will try this today! Do you drink all your water this way to get all your supplements levels?

Here is what I am thinking, is this right? I’d love to do it in 1 drink but I am afraid of the Magnesium Citrate

Sodium - 290mg x 4 = 1160mg | Daily Rec 1500mg
Potassium - 350mg x 4 = 1400mg | Daily Rec 4700mg
Magnesium - 75mg x 4 = 300mg | Daily Rec 400mg
Water - 30oz x 4 = 120oz

(eat more) #18

i think the sodium you have listed is way too low…even not fasting.
pretty sure @ron-coleman was having 4-5g of sodium per day during his 46 day fast. (which i believe is the keto recommended daily even while not fasting)

i also wouldn’t limit water…if you are thirsty (or hungry) drink. you are flushing nasties out and supplementing electrolytes.
I add about 1/4t of salt to every 40oz of water i have while fasting (and like every other when not fasting)…salt water soooo helps.

if you aren’t already taking a magnesium supplement i would definitely start slowly…especially the liquid citrate and especially if you are supplementing with coconut or mct oil. :poop:
(as one friend calls it “mud butt” which i hear you are prob going to experience naturally the longer you fast) :joy:

i haven’t found an actual citation of keto recommended mag, pot, and sodium but there is this:

@mikki I was worried I was disposing of all my electrolytes drinking 200oz of water because I was peeing all the time and the yesterday and today I have had cramps in the morning. I am not using coconut or MCT oil. Luckily it is the weekend and I guess I will be able to experiment a bit more. I made 1 batch of Brenda’s ketoaide and brought it to work, And casually sipping while I also have a normal bottle of water.
I feel like I am getting close to dialed in but I also want to be careful. I browsed @ron-coleman thread and will need to reread it. I am feeling awesome and LOVING the fast, just trying to dial in the supplements. Thank you for the help & advise!

(eat more) #20

maybe this will be useful :slight_smile:

KCFO :smiley:

(Nathan Hall) #21

I don’t drink all my water this way. I usually drink one or two each day. I typically base it on how I’m feeling. If I’m fasting and feel a little off, (tired, foggy, having cravings) I’ll drink another. I tend to drink it this way more often (3-4/day) when fasting.
I think Mikki has you straight on the measurements.

Soaking your feet in a bucket of warm water and Epsom salts before you go to bed each night might also help with the cramps.

I will check that out! Thanks

Day 5 - Trying to find a balance

Day 1: 300lb
Day 5: 281.5lb (Dr. Fung says 1/2 lb of fat loss per day so I am guessing 3-4 of that is fat)

With Electrolyte. Thanks everyone for the great advice yesterday, I have started to play with the numbers a bit. I am struggling with something about the constancy of something about the magnesium citrate. I drank 1 mixture yesterday and licked some no salt. I am listening to Fasting Talk’s new episode right now and learning a bit more about electrolytes too. My goal today is drink 2 bottles of Ketoaide. Dreams last night are still insane and I can’t sleep for shit…

I had to go into work late in the morning because it was free breakfast Friday lol. Luckily my boss does keto as well and understood.

Still no cigs! Not even a craving! No hunger anymore! Just need to get the calf spasms under control.

Today will be my next challenge, a huge group of us are going to Top Golf and there will be tons of food, alcohol & cigarettes :frowning: wish me luck!

(Nick) #25

Just to spell out what KetoKate was saying - taking baths with Epsom Salts is an extremely effective way of supplementing magnesium. This is something I’ve seen Jason Fung recommend in interviews and in his (excellent) book, The Obesity Code.

I will give it shot this evening. The only thing is at 6’4" I don’t contact much water :joy:

Visual for y’all

(Adam L) #27

Holy Waterfall Batman - no wonder you weigh yourself before and after peeing, positive feedback on the scale after every trip to the bathroom! Keep up the good work, respect the mental strength of multi day fasts like this.

Ya, I had 3 days of carbage food and beer prior to starting but I am still blown away by how much I have dropped. And thank you! After day 3 it hasn’t even phased me that I am not eating or smoking

(Adam L) #29

Awesome effort, especially the smoking but all of it really. I’ve done 2 x 3 day fasts, looking to go a bit longer each time & do a 4 or 5 day soon. Keep us posted on how you’re going.