Beef Stroganoff

beef
stroganoff
stew

This is a really nice hearty and creamy stew. The original recipe calls for tender cut of beef, but don’t let that stop you from using other proteins, like chicken, pork, or turkey. I’ve also done this with ground beef, and little meatballs.

First start with heating fat in a pan, in this case tallow was used

Get a piece of beef

And cube it

Fry the beef in the heated fat

While meat is frying, round up some onion

And mushrooms

Chop both onion and mushrooms

When the meat is browned to your desired level, remove from pan, and then add a couple tablespoons butter to pan

Add the chopped vegetables to melted butter

Add some bone broth (it is in gel form because it was stored in refrigerator)

Let the broth liquid reduce, while cooking the vegetables

The reduced broth will turn into a nice glaze coating the mushrooms

In the next step, you will need dill (dried or fresh), Dijon mustard and sour cream (or creme fraiche).

A bit of dill, a spoon of mustard and lots of creme fraiche was added to the mushrooms

The ingredients were well blended to form a nice sauce

The browned meat was then added to the pan

All ingredients were blended to form the stroganoff stew

Plating of beef stroganoff

The perfect bite

Cream of Mushroom soup replacement
Tub of Sour Cream
What did you Keto today?
(Arlene) #2

Yum! You could make anyone try their hand at cooking. Your pics and tutorials take any guesswork out of it, and I want to reach in and grab a bite Right Now. Now I have to go buy more mushrooms. Ahh, I guess I had to replenish my supply anyway, but now I feel some urgency to hurry up and make this recipe. :slight_smile:

(Guardian of the bacon) #3

In the old days…that stroganoof would be wonderful served over a plate of home made noodles.

Haha…go get them shrooms!!!

Glad to know the pics help. I usually cook without measuring, and adjusting for taste, look, texture, etc. Taking photos is easier for me to convey the message. Glad it’s kinda doing that!

You can put them on noodles…like shiritake, zucchini zoodles, omelette fettuccine, spaghetti squash, etc

(Guardian of the bacon) #6

Very true…just not the same as my Mennonite granny’s home made butter noodles.

Hmmm…I think there is a solution to that problem. Would you consider keto noodles made in the form of spaetzle noodles? Stroganoff is often served on buttered spaetzle. I think those noodles would be easy to keto hack…what do you think? Worth it for me to try to hack?

(Guardian of the bacon) #8

I’ll have to Google what spaetzle is. But if you think it’s appropriate I’m game.

Here you go…

I think these can be keto hacked…I will try

(Brian Kriesel) #10

That looks wonderful!!!

(Patrick B.) #11

You are killing it… making me hungry with every post you do…

(Candace) #12

Cauliflower? I look forward to seeing how you come up with this one! You do amazing work! <3

I forgot about spaetzle! My son used to love it when he was little.

(Jules Swart) #14

Challenge accepted! It was wonderful. Thanks for the great idea(s)!

(Colleen) #15

That looks so delicious. Thank you for sharing. I am pretty hopeless in the kitchen so I am very grateful for your photos and explanations. Off to the shops tonight so I can make some bone broth and then get busy making this later in the week. :slight_smile:

(Kara) #16

Spätzle has been keto hacked at my house using mozzarella and egg, using this recipe as inspiration http://www.uplateanyway.com/keto/fettuccine-low-carb-pasta/

(Ashley Haddock) #17

Oh man, this looks AMAZING!!

(Ian Stavert) #18

Oh that looks so nice. That will be something for winter.

(Michelle) #19

Totally new to the forums…is there a way to “save” recipes?:yum:

There’s a “…” Next to the reply on bottom left hand corner. If you press that, more icons show up. You will see an icon that looks like a ribbon (Not the flag icon next to it). If you click on the ribbon icon, it will bookmark the recipe for you.

Then in the future, when you want to retrieve your bookmarks, click on your icon (design) at the top right hand corner, and you will see the bookmark icon. Click that and it will show your bookmarks.

Hope this helps.