What I've learned after 5 years, 80 pounds of fat loss and 20 pounds of muscle gain

(Whatever) #209

Thank you for posting this priceless information.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #210

Hi Janie - as you know, my peak is 2:30 in the afternoon. When do you recommend newbies test with pee strips? With blood they say two to three hours before a meal.

(Jane) #211

I don’t think it matters with the pee sticks since the darkness doesn’t matter. It’s more of a yes-no answer for producing and wasting ketones.

(Viviana) #212

Hello, I have a question Ive been doing keto for 3 weeks, I started loosing weight but when I weigh myself it was not like a huge amount of weight. I feel thinner my clothes are so much looser people are telling me I look thinner, and I weigh myself today and the scale says 4 pond weight gain??? HOW is that possible?

(Andi loves space, bacon and fasting. ) #214

There’s lots of reasons you might be retaining water: reproductive hormones, inflammation from a rigorous workout, etc. Fat takes time to deposit, so if it just came on, you know its water. For that reason, lots of people refrain from weighing themselves daily. Maybe you’ll feel better if you hide your scale in your attic.

(Viviana) #215

Thank you! I took the scale OUT of my bathroom for now, thanks again

(Bob M) #216

I got DEXA (dual energy x-ray absorptiometry) tests done, three over the course of a year. During that year, I gained about 4 pounds of muscle and lost about 6 pounds of fat, for a scale loss of 2 pounds. Contrast that with when I do a fast > 24 hours, where I can lose (or gain) 5 pounds in a single day. So, I stopped using the scale. I now just use clothes, particularly pants.

As for taking ketones, I have thousands of ketone and blood sugar samples. I still use my ketonix, but just because I keep it at work. Today, it registered a 67 (first generation Ketonix), which is shockingly high. I think that’s because I fasted Monday, worked out Tuesday morning, then ate a ton Tuesday, a lot of which was fatty. I typically eat higher protein, but just happened to buy smoked kielbasa over the weekend, so ate a lot of that. I think the Ketonix is simply registering extra fat I have available from eating a lot of fat, which is why I’ve switched to higher protein (hoping to get the fat from my body instead of my food). Eating higher protein, my ketonix is always much lower, in the 20-30 range. I have stopped using blood ketones (and stopped pee ketone testing years ago) and blood sugar, though if I could afford the $75/month for my Free Style Libre continuous glucose monitor, I would get that. It tells you stuff nothing else can.

(Simon Springer) #217

5 months now since I made the best decision of my life - to start Keto, IF and OMAD.

“Cheated” using an online coach to get me started. Best $20 I ever spent!

60 pounds & 12 waist inches down. T2 and Hypertension under control.

Feel the best I have for 20 years - thank you Keto …!

www.keto4living.online

(Polly) #218

What a transformation! Well done, an inspiration to us all.

(Susan) #219

Awesome, you are doing great!

Welcome to the forum @Ketoboy72

You look great, and must feel sooo much better too… healthier, happier, and will prolong your life!

(Simon Springer) #220

Thanks Polly, couldn’t have started without my Coach, but now I’m flying!

(Simon Springer) #221

Thanks Susan! I feel amazing!

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #222

Nicely done!

(Jane) #223

You look SO MUCH HEALTHIER!!

The inflammation from a SAD diet is so obvious in before-and-after pics. Including mine!!!

Hi, thank you for your post. I started 12 days ago and for me is not hard because I need to loose weight. I removed all sugars and carbs. I have a question…
We are looking for loss fat, but we are giving to our body a lot of fat. As well I was doing intermittent fast (eating once a day) and two o three coffees…
My question is, is better to eat all the meals (breakfast, lunch, dinner…) with all the fat and no carbs or is better fasting, letting the body get your fat?.
I am on 84kg and after 12 days I lost just 2kg.
I think I am doing something wrong. I am not feeling headaches or flu… I felt headache just 1 day.
Could someone help me?
Thanks

(Susan) #225

Welcome to the forum, Nur.

The basics of Keto to start are to:

Eat 20 grams or less of carbs, eat proteins and fats, and lots of water, and absolutely no sugar. Read labels to make sure there are no sugars. Keep up your electrolytes as well.

Thank you Momof5. That is what I am doing. I will keep doing it maybe I need more time to feel something. Thanks

(Marianne) #227

Well done!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #228

Yeah, it does sound weird, doesn’t it? Dr. Jason Fung explains it this way: “We burn what we eat. When we eat sugar (carbohydrate), we burn sugar. So if we want to burn fat, we need to eat fat.”

That’s a cute way to put it, but the real issue is the limiting of carbohydrate. Carbohydrate stimulates insulin production, and insulin is the hormone that tells the body to store fat, so if we want to let the fat out of our fat tissue, we need to lower insulin. We lower insulin by eating less carbohydrate. Your actual carbohydrate limit may be higher than 20 g/day, but start eating no more than that much carbohydrate each day, and you are practically guaranteed to get into ketosis and start burning fat.

So if you are not going to eat carbohydrate, what should you eat? Well, just continue eating the same amount of protein, for now, and replace all those missing calories from carbohydrate with calories from fat. Fat has almost no effect on our insulin level, which makes it a safe source of energy. Fat also has more than twice the number of calories per gram as carbohydrate does, so it takes a lot less to satisfy us. Eat enough protein and fat at each meal so that you are not hungry again for quite some time. Don’t eat again until you are hungry again. As you learn to listen to your body, your body will start telling you how much to eat.

(Jane) #229

First off… breathe. 4 lbs in 12 days is a great start!

This is a long journey, not a crash diet. Don’t force fat. Only eat enough fat that you aren’t hungry in between meals so you don’t snack. Controlling insulin response is THEY KEY to keto and this is done by converting your body over to burning fats instead of sugars for energy and limiting your insulin spikes so you “feed” on your body fat - not plate fat. Or store the carby crap as fat.