Veganism as a social justice / religious movement

(Karim Wassef) #45

I found this but I suspect it’s tongue in cheek - and really intended to poke at carnivores:

LOL

(Karim Wassef) #46

And here is the official vegan rebuttal that plants DO NOT have feelings or experience suffering or communicate:

Not only are they on a propaganda war, but they’re already prepping for arguments - even before the battles get hot.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #47

This was the crux of a short story by Arthur C. Clarke (I’m pretty sure), in which human beings in the future are highly embarassed that their ancestors ate plants, let alone animals. Food made from nice, tasty minerals was what everyone ate instead.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #48

Peter Ballerstedt and Allan Savory have solid data that using land to grow crops is actually not good for the soil, quite apart from all the small mammals killed in the process (apparently they somehow don’t count). In fact, according to Ballerstedt, ruminant animals grow best on grasslands that are not suitable for growing crops in any case, and the grasses, having evolved together with the ruminants, thrive better with them on the land. The idea that growing beef threatens the environment is false. We need more ruminants, not fewer, and our grasslands are dying without them.

(Brian) #49

This guy is a hoot! Hope you enjoy… :smiley:

Belinda Fettke has done the historical research and traced veganism back to the early 19th Century and the temperance movement. There are links to good hearted religious people trying to cure the ills of the world.

Listening to one of the many podcasts of Gary and Belinda Fettke being interviewed on Belinda’s research is required listening for this topic.

Is God a vegan?

(Karim Wassef) #52

no idea … I suggest you ask directly? :smile:

life feeds on life, except for the photosynthetics that only need light (of which we are not), although it would be cool to have green skin and just sunbathe for our meals… alien species ideas

(Elizabeth ) #53

Are you aware Jesus gave his disciples fish more than once as well as the"five thousand" and another time four thousand, plus God commanded the priests to eat the meat and fat of the offerings? Even in the garden God killed an animal to cover Adam and Eve. So does that help?

I’m not well read in these things, so it was very helpful. Has the bible ever been interpreted as a cook book? I seem to recall it, the bible maybe, but religious guidance in general, was important for eating guidelines and potential parasite risk control for public health in the ancient times.

(Karim Wassef) #56

this thread isn’t about how religions advocate for one way or eating over another.

it’s about how veganism is becoming its own social justice or religious movement intent on using guilt or intellectual elitism to judge others who choose not to be vegan.

It already was. The latest adherents just don’t/ didn’t know.

(Ethan) #58

Tell that to WeWork, which oppresses carnivores.

(Karim Wassef) #59

wow… thanks for sharing that:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2018/07/16/we-will-not-serve-or-pay-meat-wework-takes-green-workplace-new-level/?utm_term=.afd0e44cd04c

(Elizabeth ) #60

You may be Interested in this https://youtu.be/y4U0fe5djAg

Speaking of in-your-face veganism, this article made me kind of glad I don’t live in Parkdale, Toronto…

Brilliant.

Last night laying in bed looking at my phone (terrible habit), I got smacked in the face with an article about dogs in Asian countries being used as meat. I don’t remember which country because I noped out pretty quick…terrible thing to read right before bed.

I had to think about it for a bit though. It’s not the dog meat that bothers me, it’s the treatment of the animals. I’d never eat dog, but that’s a cultural thing. I’ll never ever go vegan, but I do purposely seek out meat that I know had a humane life/end of life as much as I possibly can (and can afford). Currently buying from a local butcher who sources from surrounding small farms and is fairly transparent. It’s expensive, but I’m blessed enough to afford it and feel good supporting the little guy.

It’s the best I can do short of murdering the evil people that torture animals so “the adrenaline makes the meat more flavorful” …would kind of like to do that.

(Ethan) #64

Yep. It’s actually a legal issue with the ADA for those of us who eat meat as a key part of our
medical treatment of a disability (e.g., diabetes, Crohn’s disease). Moreover, the anti-meat culture creates a hostile workplace environment against a protected class (i.e., medical disability) even if accommodations are made!