Episode 78 - The History of Dietary Guidelines with Dr. Gary Fettke

(carl) #1

This week, @carl and @richard talk to Dr. Gary Fettke (@nofructose) . This time, he uncovers some of the individuals in the United States who have influenced the US dietary guidelines. You may want to sit down before listening.

Veganism as a social justice / religious movement
(Richard Morris) #2

And the same individuals and organizations in Australia doing the same thing.

This episode made me think about permaculture and how it could relate to the ketogenic diet. Permaculture principles would include raising livestock in a way that is renewing to the soil, increasing nutrients that improve the quality of what the animals graze on. The people have healthier meat, milk, eggs etc. to eat. I personally would be interested in a meeting of the minds between you dudes and Geoff Lawton there in Australia, an international permaculture expert. I think he would appreciate how eating keto tends to reduce waste, and the emphasis on nutrient-rich food sources. He would be interested in how it is a sustainable way of eating.

(ianrobo) #4

I thought this was possibly the best one so far. I loved the whole talk and learnt things I knew but not with the depth. I am not anti Vegan, many do Vegan but this nonsense it is healthier when Vegans have to eat fake food sometimes to get what is required or supplement heavily.

(David Driver) #5

I really enjoyed this episode. I had known about the connection of the people from the San to the SDA, I knew it was the people from the San that started teh Dieatetic Association. I don’t know why I never stitched the two together.

(Carol O'Carroll) #6

Absolute stunner of a podcast dudes.
Just gobsmacked!

The Gary Science Left me with a lot to think about. Hopefully, the snowball they’ve made keeps growing.

(Steve Stephenson) #7

Here’s Gary’s presentation at 2017 CrossFit Health Conference: https://isupportgary.com/articles/2017-crossfit-live-stream. Gary and Belinda are amazing researchers with unique thinking perspectives that are, I hope, explained in Gary’s free book, Inversion, http://www.onemansanswer.com/default2.asp (I just downloaded it).

(ianrobo) #8

and just after this podcast I picked up a copy of the Ultimate health podcast about Blue zones of health as Dan Buettner calls them. One of these happens to be a SDA comminity in CA and all of them are high carb of ‘real food’.

Never heard of Dan before but he is a strong endurance sport athlete and has worked on schemes with Bill Clinton etc.

He seems to have no links to SDA …

(Rita) #9

Coincidently, the same day I listened to this podcast, I came across a Fresh Air podcast that had a piece on the Kellog brothers. It dealt with their marketing strategies and their relationship as brothers.

(carl) #10

I heard the Fresh Air show on the radio 2 days after recording this podcast.

(Rita) #11

Wow! Carl replied to my post! I am the happy commuter thanks to the 2ketodudes. Only problem is I have listened to all of them. I am now reviewing.
Despite being a nurse since 1974 and a nurse practitioner since 1990 this is all news to me. Love all the science!

(carl) #12

Hopefully there will be 3 more weekly podcasts coming out of 2Ketoland soon.

(Jen) #13

This podcast blew my mind! So many things I’ve never really thought about before, like how we just accept text books and all the things we learn in school/college and don’t really question where the information comes from. Very eye opening and VERY interesting. One of your best episodes for sure!