Super Stoked

keto
newbies
fasting
extendedfast

(Kimbrie Sauvageau) #8

HOLY COW THAT IS GREAT NEWS…I thought I would never experience such hoppy goodness again and was kind of bummed…thank you for your input and time.

(Kimbrie Sauvageau) #9

Hi there, thank you for your reply and DEFINITELY congrats on your 35 pounds…I think when I get there I will be in between my 2 sizes of wardrobe uh oh…these are great problems to have however

(Jane) #10

Welcome to the forum!!!

Lots of great support here. If you are looking for fasting support there is a monthly thread of people doing short or longer fasts and they jump on the thread when they are fasting. Here is Oct. Someone will start a new one in Nov.

(hottie turned hag) #11

@Momma-Bear What a fun post, thanks, Kimbrie (neat name too :smile:)

Don’t get crazy re: supplements and supplies and don’t get sucked into food labeled, “KETO”, no need for all that crap.

It can be done super simply: keep carbs way low is all I did, it worked great. I did stall when I got close to goal (last ten pounds) so went “almost-carn” and that broke the stall.

Lots of bright, nice folks on here, esp Weird Uncle Dave @David_Stilley who is very good at advice, and the kindest soul on the forum dear Susan @Momof5 who like you has a lot to lose still.

I’m not one of the nice ones, I’m a miserable wretched sort but I do like to drop songs and cutes here and there

:penguin: :whale: :t_rex: :octopus:

(Ashley) #12

You’ll do great, don’t buy into any of the “keto junk”. You don’t need supplements other than electrolytes. Salt, magnesium if you feel you need it. Potassium rich foods can help some. 20g or less, don’t calorie restrict. Eat healthy fats and proteins to satiety, I put fats first as for most consuming higher works for them! Eat yummy foods and enjoy. Men tend to lose quicker so don’t get discouraged, some people lose fast some it’s a bit slower, don’t think your stalling unless it goes months of no progress. This is a great forum. Enjoy and have fun, also don’t push fasting too much in the beginning, some are fine, but give your body time to adjust to the new eating regimen.

Yeah, this was tough for me at first because I freakin’ loved good beer. Now it just doesn’t appeal to me anymore.
As a workaround, there’s a thread on here experimenting with infusing Irish whiskey with hops and having it with carbonated water. Not much body but the taste was pretty good. I preferred mixing it with low carb beer like Mich Ultra. If I can find the thread I’ll update this post with a link to it.
Good luck, by the way! Glad to see you’re excited and ready to change your life for the better.

Ah here it is! It was Carl’s idea and it was brilliant.

Just remember that alcohol gets metabolized first so it will mess with any progress.

(Marianne) #14

:+1:

@Momma-Bear, welcome. In addition to the above, I would suggest you put fasting on hold until you have done this for 2-3 months. No need to stress your body right from the get-go. You are making a major metabolic change and your body is working to heal itself. Go easy on it and give it some extra TLC during this period.

Good luck on your journey. Hope to see you around.

(Trina) #15

Wow!! My fellow IPA drinker!! I am always searching for encouraging life stories and yours blessed my heart! Thank you for sharing and being so accountable for your own personal journey! Testimonies like yours are inspiring! I’m pretty new to Keto and to this forum but both have been mind and life changing!! I look forward to our stories in a year!! Bang on my friend!! We got this!

(Karla Sykes) #16

Welcome

(Kimbrie Sauvageau) #17

Not sure if I already responded, if so, my bad :grin: just wanted to make sure I said thank you for such a nice and thoughtful message…always nice when someone gets you especially when you are just truly being you…best of luck sweets, run into you sometime again I hope

(Rebecca ) #18

Welcome and thanks for sharing! I have eaten this way for 4.5 months now. I read and researched and listened to 2ketodudes podcasts before I started. I felt prepared. I began with 3 meals per day, but kept carbs below 20g as suggested. Slowly but surely my body said “Rebecca, your aren’t hungry, so don’t eat.” This seemed scary, but I listened. Now I am pretty much eating in a 16/8 or 18/6 window, 1 or 2 meals a day. Just follow the 20 g carb suggestion to start and listen to your body. I have lost 30 lbs, but more importantly my body has changed in composition and into smaller clothes. Good luck and be patient!!

(Susan) #19

Welcome to the forum, Kimbrie =).

I was 293 in February, and am now at 242, and still have over 100 pounds to lose, so I can totally relate to your frustrations and the Yo-Yo dieting. I have lost 51 pounds so far on Keto, and I feel so much better now then I did in February, and if I can do it, you can too for sure!!

I lost over 100 pounds in 2002-2003 in 8 months doing Susan Powter, and gained back over 120 of it shortly afterwards, so I know!! It is annoying, but Keto is for life, it is not a diet, it is a new way of eating!

We will all be here to encourage you, answer questions, share our own personal things that have worked for us and to cheer you on!!

(Kimbrie Sauvageau) #20

Hi there! thanks for your response. I have also felt that when I begin to eat again tomorrow I wont be able to eat the whole 1500 calories I set aside for myself. I have never been one to eat 3 meals plus snacks a day…I usually eat a big (ok honestly, my portion sizes were really out of control, I am a really steady emotional eater. Just in the couple of days I have been committed to working this program I have not once been hungry, I was able to easily walk away from my daily beloved 4 or 5 IPA’s a day(that is like 130g of carbs right there) if I really wanted to change my life I had to step up 100%, no cheat days, no carbs more than 20%, sticking to my exercise regimen even when I dont feel like leaving the house. I am so tired but completely wired at the same time it is kind of a trip. I know I needed to expect the first few weeks to be an adjustment period. Thank you for reading my rambling nonsense and also for your reply if you should choose to leave one…best of luck!

(Susan) #21

I eat lunch at 1pm and supper at 4:30 on my eating days -which gives me a daily 20 hours of fasting, 4 hours eating (two meals with no snacks between the two). From 5pm until 1pm the next day I do not eat anything -I drink water and herbal tea though-it is good to stay hydrated as well. Maybe that would work for you as well -and aim for around 1800 calories, splitting them up -I like to eat more calories at the lunch and less at supper, but it doesn’t always work out that way =).

(Kimbrie Sauvageau) #22

Susan I think you are becoming my guardian angel. It is a bummer I have to be so stubborn and try to do my own thing…should have stuck with the 48 because it was smooth as butter we put on everything, but today I slowly starting getting the keto flu symptoms. The handful of ppl I talked to about my grand plan told me starting off with fasting was a bad idea. I dont feel completely awful but just tired and confused a little…more than anything I am feeling like a big stupid for taking the planning into my little newborn hands. For the most part there are several days I barely eat anything and so I thought it would be ok and after all the reading I had done I was excited to try the fasting I guess. Anyway, thanks for listening, I will live to fight another day, and there is no way I will give up. I have all you guys, an ex with a Bach in fitness and nutrition to help me figure things out. Tomorrow is starting my brand new eating lifestyle, I am just still so excited by all of this, I just know this is the path I want and need to be on…thanks susan, you truly are an angel

(Susan) #23

Aww, you are very welcome =). When I first joined here in June, I was overwhelmed by the kindness and support I received. This is the most friendly, helpful and supportive forum on the net in my opinion. We all want you to succeed, and you will, you have a terrific attitude, and great will power. It is a fun lifestyle, once you adapt to it, the cravings will disappear, and you will feel so healthy, have energy, see aches and pains and pounds disappear. Keto is awesome, I love it. It was hard for all of us at the beginning, so we know what you are going through, because we all were beginners too! You will do this and be giving helpful advice in no time yourself too!!

(hottie turned hag) #24

I toldja upthread, Susan’s the kindest soul on here :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
She’s the Queen of the forum :crown:
She shared the throne for awhile with King @BeefCake but sadly he has vanished.

A suggestion: I see you have started several threads, but the topics are kinda similar, I’d merge them all into one “Accountability” thread because then it’ll be easier for us to follow one thread that covers all your activities and going by your fun posting style, you’ll develop a fan following of the Accountability thread like Susan and David have. I know I’d follow it.
:grinning:

(Kimbrie Sauvageau) #25

blushing thanks Susan…I am, as you know, pretty committed but not just for weight loss, I am most excited about changing my life…To not have my life controlled by when I can have my next beer or another day where I ingest 4 times the amount of calories one should have just to get some sick kind of emotional relief is going to be great. Have a wonderful day, talk to you soon

(Kimbrie Sauvageau) #26

She really is, everyone is truly WONDERFUL

Keto flu isn’t mandatory, it’s electrolyte problem… Do you consume enough sodium? If you ever get muscle cramps, that’s usually not enough magnesium or potassium. I never have sodium problems if I eat every day but on a bit longer fast, it inevitably happens. It happens with everyone but our sensitivity is different and some people drink salty water all day on IF…

You sound very excited and you are right, you do a great cheerleader. I met keto years ago but had crazy times and there’s no novelty anymore, my state of mind is horrible in general… I want to change but some outer source is welcomed and maybe even needed. Reading you makes me feel more excited myself. I wanted to do some fasts myself but lately even eating once a day was tough and rarely happened. That’s very good for many, keto + OMAD (one meal a day) but I totally need it to get results, not only regarding weight. It took much time to reach this combo and your method is even tougher in my eyes but maybe you can do it. Determination is very powerful, once I fasted for 120 hours from pure curiosity (and probably the funny stuff was due to not even knowing anything about electrolytes but it wasn’t bad). Fasting when you aren’t in ketosis to begin with is probably harder but doable (I’m sure some of us are just good at fasting if we make our mind, it’s not for anyone) and ketosis comes soon enough.
1500 kcal in 12 hours? Maybe you need much time after a fast, I don’t know about others but the longer fast I do, the less I am able to eat, maybe it’s logical, my body gets farther from the idea of eating :D. Still, I would probably do 47:1 or 46:2 but it’s me and still, one can never know, 23:1 seriously baffled me for months. You change your life, you experiment with yourself for years, you are confident you know yourself… And fasting changes everything. On some days, drastically. It’s fun! At least it was for me, hopefully it will be interesting and fun for you even if it won’t be without hardships, those happens on the best plan but if they aren’t too serious, you are fine and learn and get stronger.

I’m rooting for you!