Carl's Zero-Carb IPA Beer

(carl) #1

Originally published at: http://blog.2keto.com/recipe/carls-zero-carb-ipa-beer/

This recipe came out of a conversation with a friend’s wife, who told me her hubby ditched the keto diet because he couldn’t give up beer. I went to work on it right away, and came up with a reasonable facsimile.

Start with some dried hops and Irish Whiskey. Soak 4 cups of hops in 750ml of Irish Whiskey. I used Jameson. Make sure the hops are completely soaked, and store in the fridge for at least 5 days. Then you need to squeeze out the whiskey using a cheesecloth or even a pair of nylons. You might end up with about 350 ml of hops-soaked whiskey.

Irish whiskey is made from barley, which is one of the ingredients in an IPA, as is hops. At this point your concoction smells like a very strong IPA. Now you need to dilute it.

Add about a shot of this liquid gold to a glass of mineral water. You can use seltzer (club soda) if you like, but those tend to have “sharper” bubbles. I use San Pellegrino water.

That gives you the flavor, but it has no body. For this, dissolve a tablespoon of plain gelatin in a cup of hot water. Let it cool, and add a tablespoon to your glass of IPA. If you want a head, add the gelatin to the liquid gold before adding the mineral water.

Enjoy![wpurp-searchable-recipe]Carl's Zero-Carb IPA Beer - - - [/wpurp-searchable-recipe]

Super Stoked
Mike's Excellent Zero Carb Beer Adventure :beer:
(David Pegg) #2

Has anyone made this recipe? I am interested to hear what others say about it.

It’s a shame that spirits are so expensive in Australia, the Jameson is worth about $36USD!

I make low carb beer by using a dry enzme to promote the yeast to consume all the maltose in the wort, but it still has about 3-4g carbs per 375ml (12ounce) bottle. This is the only website I have found to calculate carbs, no one seems to really care for low carbs in the home brew world in my experience:
http://www.mrgoodbeer.com/carb-cal.shtml

Can I buy zero carb beer?

(Mike W.) #4

Cheers for innovation, but that’s a pricey pint. I’ll just drink the whiskey.

(astrahsburg) #5

OMG OMG OMG OMG!!! Ordered some Citra Hop Pellets on Monday from Amazon along with a french press. Arrived this morning and by 10AM I had a tea brewing. After lunch I fired up the Soda Stream and added some of the Citra Tea to some fizzy water. I’m sure it will be better with a shot of whiskey added, and would maybe soften the extra bitter finish, but it’s not really necessary. It is my understanding that pellets are more bitter on the finish than the actual flowers, so I will be trying those next week in the tea to see how it goes.

So far every who has tried this has had their mind blown! I’m so giddy!

(Ken) #6

I wonder if you used a Salad Spinner on the hops you’d recover more whiskey?

Here is a report from reddit group called Keto_Brewing to calculate the carbs in beer with decent precision.

How to calculate the residual sugars and carbohydrates of your beer

Hi All,

Edit: If you don’t have an deep interest how to calculate the carb count in your homebrew then https://docdro.id/uJDC4Pt

this table will give you answer per 100ml just by knowing original and final gravity.

As an avid keto follower I run into trouble of finding beer that would taste anything like the staff that I enjoyed pre keto.

First for this purpose original and final gravity of the beer are needed. In these calculation gravity will be measured in the Plato gravity scale, the plato conversions scales should not be difficult to find with simple google search.

OG(Original gravity)= OE Plato scale

FG(Final gravity)= AE Plato

Calories in 100ml of beer=(6.9A+4.0(RE-0.1)*FG

Where 6.9 is calories/gram of alcohol (ethanol)

Where 4.0 is calories/gram of sugar

Where 0.1 is non digestible contribution to specific gravity

A= alcohol content of finished beer in % by weight

RE= real extract of finished beer in deg. Plato

RE=0.1808OE+0.8192AE

A=(OE-RE)/(2.0665-(0.010665*OE))

An Example

OG = 1.046= 11.5 Plato scale

FG =1.004= 1 Plato scale

RE=0.180811.5+0.81921=2.90 deg P

A=(11.5-2.90)/(2.0665-(0.010665*11.5)=8.6/(2.0665-0.1226475)=8.6/1.9438525= 4.4 % of weight

Calories per 100ml of beer=(6.93.8)+(4.0(2.9-0.1))*1.004= (26.22+11.2)*1.004=37.5cal per 100ml of beer

Where (2.9-0.1)is the general amount of carbs in 100 ml of beer.

RE gives the most general amount of residual sugars left. So just calculation the RE will give you the maximum carbs in your beer.

To be more persistence you could go further

carbohydrates per 100g of beer= RE( °P = degrees Plato, g/100g or % by weight)- protein % by weight - ash or inorganic mineral content % by weight

Example carbs per 100g of beer= 2.9-0.7 protein by % of weight- 0.2 ash by % of weight.

Proteins by weight and inorganic mineral content information I have still not found so if anyone has

“Beer Analysis and Testing”. The New Brewer. Vol 34(4): July/August 2017; I would be very interested.

In general it looks like they are not very important as by the RE you will already have the upper limit and the more exact number( that need laboratory analyses for the proteins and ash probably) will be important for those who will commercially want to sell their beer or somebody who does have too much money or just very good friends in some labs.

Rev 2.

An update on the protein content of the beer.

By the article(ref 3) where 34 lager type of Czeck beer were tested the average protein content protein by % of weight was 0.5 with average deviation of 0.2( more simply maximum was 0.7 and minimum was 0.3). So I would say comfortably that in majority of beer calculations I would use the 0.5 for the protein by weight and be sure that I’m getting amount of carbs with reasonable preciseness.

Rev 3

Corrected a mistake in an ABV calculation. Thank to dukedevil0 for pointing it out.

REFERENCES

http://realbeer.com/spencer/attenuation.html

REF 3 https://www.researchgate.net/publication/280383247_Determination_of_the_Energy_Value_of_Beer

(Bertha) #8

I am so excited about this. I actually found a bottle of Jameson Stout that is finished in beer barrels so this should be good.
But I need help. I know nothing about making beer and hops so got hop pellets. Is it the same ratio as dried hops? To start I soaked in the whiskey only 1 1/2 cups of them and they are now completely soaked. Don’t think I could use any more hops as it is a very thick paste.
Please tell me I didn’t ruin my Jameson! :cry:
Thanks!!!

(Bertha) #9

(Seth Overdeer) #10

So, this is a work in progress for me right now. So far it’s not going well. Gotta say up front that I am a homebrewer.

Carl, I’d like to know what hop variety you used. Hops taste wildly different from one to another.

4 cups of hops in a 750ml bottle is way overkill. Most Homebrew batches of beer are 5 gallons and don’t use that much. A homebrew IPA recipe will call from anywhere from 3 to 8 oz of hops, rarely more than that. Hops are typically sold by the ounce. I used 2 oz of Citra and 2 oz of Centennial in a 1.5 liter bottle of Jameson, let it sit for a week, strained it out, any its really harsh. The aroma is nice and completely the smell of hops, but the taste is all harsh bitterness, even diluted in mineral water to make this IPA. That being said, it’s going to take a few weeks in the fridge to get all of the hop particles to drop. It went cloudy, and the remaining hops are probably contributing to the harshness. I’ll update here with more pics as it clarifies.

I’m probably going to be using this as an additive to punch up some low carb beer to give it more hop flavor. I like whiskey and bourbon. I like Jameson. There are dry hopped whiskies out there that you can buy off the shelf and not have to experiment here. I tried the mineral water thing with one and it was much better and closer to IPA than this experiment. For most people, I’d recommend buying an actual hopped whiskey to make this recipe than trying to do it yourself.

OK just ordered the hops, they’ll be here Wednesday. So trying this! Especially since I haven’t been able to drink beer for years afterI was diagnosed with celiac.

Who would have thought whiskey+hops+bubbles+gelatin=IPA?

(Mindy) #12

I am super jazzed to hear about this recipe. My partner and I are BEER lovers and living in Eugene, OR makes it a bummer for me (my partner eats carb friendly but is drinking gluten free beers because he loves beer). So this recipe is exciting. I went to a neighborhood fermentation store and the shop guy asked me what kind of beer flavor I like (IPA’s) so he set me up w/ three flavor hop profiles and I picked up my Jameson whiskey and San Peligrino waters went right to work…open the hops bags, measure out 4 cups pour whiskey over it and weight down the hops below top of whiskey and let sit in the fridge. SUNDAY I will find out how it works. THANKS Carl!

(Bunny) #13

Awesome!

Matured Hop Bittering Components Induce Thermogenesis in Brown Adipose Tissue via Sympathetic Nerve Activity: Iso-α-acids, the bitter compounds derived from hops in beer, have been shown to prevent diet-induced obesity by increasing lipid oxidation in the liver and inhibition of lipid absorption from the intestine**.
…More

So eager to hear your report! I just got my hops (delivered late) and used the same Jameson’s you have.

(Mindy) #15

sweet…will do! looking forward to your review as well :slight_smile:

Wait… WTH???
As a former homebrewer and IPA lover I have GOT to try this out.
Thanks @carl
I think I’ll be buying some hops and whisky this weekend…

(carl) #17

Don’t think so.

Just a reminder: this is not brewing. It’s steeping. You can adjust the hops to taste, but I like a big hops-forward IPA.

(Mindy) #18

Ok…I just got thru 5 days…Notice the hops soaked up 750 ml of whiskey…but returned less than 750 for my beer product. Followed directions but was so impatient for the gelatin to cool that I made 1/2 cup water w/ 1/2 tbl of gelatin. I’ll have to make more gelatin water as I need it. no big deal. The taste is really good! Not enough bubbles but the flavor is so good, it doesn’t matter. My partner is a beer hound and he has been doing Keto w/ me but drinking gluten free beer (Omission) because he loves beer too much to give it up. He even thought the taste was very good. So we have a WINNER FOLKS! Our formula is 1 part whiskey/hops, 1 Tbl gelatin and 5 parts San Pelagrino mineral water.

(carl) #19

Sometimes I have good ideas… :slight_smile:

(Mindy) #20

Agreed :slight_smile: