Savory Keto Scone

fathead

(Full Metal KETO AF) #1

Savory Keto Scones

These are super easy, and delicious. You can vary the featured ingredients as you wish, using leftover meats, different cheeses and vegetables. The basic dough is made in a food processor and needs no working after you make it.

Recipe:

150 grams of Grated Mozzarella Cheese
(I have a humongous block of good Muenster Cheese and used that, but mozzarella would be the normal type used)

60 grams Almond Flour

1 Tablespoon Psyllium Husk

1 teaspoon Xanthan Gum

1 teaspoon Baking Powder

1 teaspoon Garlic, granules or powder

1/2 teaspoon Salt

Optional dry herbs of your choice.

Mix it together in a bowl and dump in the food processor. Pulse until pebble like.

In the bowl put your featured ingredients. My choices were a leftover sousvide fried chicken thigh with golden skin, Canadian Bacon, Artichoke Hearts and cubes of Brie. Dump the dough into the bowl and sift it with your fingers.

In a small bowl put 1 egg and 1 Tablespoon of HWC. Beat it well with a fork. Dump about 2/3 of it over the mixture and lightly turn over with a fork. Put parchment paper on a sheet pan and divide into four piles about 1” thick. Add a teaspoon or so of water to the rest of the egg and cream mixture, beat again and use a basting or pastry brush to dab on top gently. You won’t be able to completely cover them.

My oven has a pizza stone down low and another rack on the highest slot. I baked at 350F first putting the sheet pan on the stone for 15 minutes then moved it to the top for 20 minutes more. All ovens will probably be different, I will try 375 next time, watching them closely. It’s good to get some crunchy bits and the overall texture is cheesy and moist. I am still going to experiment with this because although it’s delicious and easy this was the first attempt, but it was good enough to share for sure.

With 110 grams of chicken, 60 grams of ham, 90 grams of artichoke hearts and 90 grams of Brie cubes this was the macro data from the recipe entered into Cronometer.

Some other ideas for ingredients are

Bacon Mushroom Cheddar

Jalapeño Ham and Jack

Jalapeño Chicken Queso Fresco

Ham Gouda or Swiss

Ham Onion Pepper Cheddar (Denver)

Bacon Cream Cheese Green Onion

Use your imagination and please post pictures of your own variations if you try them. I don’t think you’ll be disappointed. :man_cook:t3:

You asked for Full Metal Keto Recipes
What Did You Keto Today? The Trilogy!
(Carl Keller) #2

Well it looks like a mess but sounds delicious. I will have to try the game of scones.

BTW, I was wondering how your son is doing.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #3

Hi Carl, he’s doing pretty well. He has gained about 3 lbs since starting keto, which is small but going in the right direction. Some subtle behavior improvement too. Long and winding road as they say.

The Scones come together much quicker than a fathead pizza, about 15 minutes and they’re in the oven. Satiating because of all the fat, I ate two at about 4:00 pm and was full. Wasn’t a big meal but the dense fatty protein combo kept me full all night. A salad would have been nice but I was out of lettuces and so I just ate the scones. They’re better when they cool down a bit.

The main difference is that the dough mixture is not worked into a ball pushing out all the air pockets. The almond flour, psyllium and xanthan gum absorb any moisture that comes off while baking keeping them from getting soggy in the thick center part, the longer lower heat baking time will get the edges crunchy leavening a tender cheesy interior. I eliminated the cream cheese and upped the dry ingredients to cheese ratio from a fathead dough. The egg and cream are added as a binder and to give moisture but not worked in, kind of a glue for the pebbles of dough. I will be making these more because they were very satisfying and easy. I also will try just mixing grated cheese with the dry part to see if the food processor step can be eliminated. They’re a great vehicle for the meat odds and ends you might have leftover or stuff in jars like olives and peppers.

Cleanup is easy, food processor bowl, a mixing bowl, and a sheet pan which wasn’t even dirty because of the parchment paper, just a little oil to wipe off. I’m thinking of trying the unworked dough as a thick Sicilian / focaccia style pizza crust, in a springform pan. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Full Metal KETO AF) #4

https://www.ketogenicforums.com/t/what-did-you-keto-today-the-trilogy/86862/679Another variation, Ham & Cheese

I tweaked the recipe for a double with extra Xanthan Gum and Psillium Husk. Also added Sour Cream. Baked in a springform pan with parchment on the bottom. Also I ditched the food processor step and just worked it a bit in a mixing bowl with grated cheese until crumbly. Worked out great and easier to get it done faster and with less mess to clean up. Baked at 350F for 25 minutes on the pizza stone and 20 minutes on the top shelf. Next up will be a thick crust pizza version.

:cowboy_hat_face: